Cove or regular balcony

Uncwrn93

I've only had regular balcony but am looking at booking a cruise in early 2017 and thinking about a cove. '

Looking for why I should or should book a cove?

We had a cove on the Dream and liked it. I liked that we were so close to the water. It was also nice that we were on a lower deck for getting on and off the ship. I would book a cove again.

We've been in both a standard balcony on Lido and a cove balcony on several cruises on Carnival Magic. There are advantages to both...

With the standard balcony, you are higher up on the ship and can see out further. Your view straight down from the balcony is of the Lanai on deck 5. When we stayed in a Lido balcony (deck 10), we were very close to all the outdoor action on Lido and not far from the buffets and other eateries.

Standard balcony...

DSC05881_zpsajemaoii.jpg DSC00593.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------

With the cove balcony (deck 2), you are only 2 decks up from the water and look directly down to the water next to the ship. The life boats hang off deck 4 above your cabin and keep the sun from coming directly in. When they docked on our side, we got a direct look at the dock and people leaving and coming back. The inside cabin space is the same as a standard balcony, but the balcony itself is larger--45 sq ft for a cove compared to 35 sq ft for a standard balcony.

Cove Balcony...

DSC07745_zps4du913e5.jpg DSC07687_zpsxwcsqayu.jpg

Here's hoping you have a great cabin and a great cruise. Bon Voyage!

Edited by forwardcabin

I cruise with small kids and decided the cove just doesn't look as safe for them as the standard (notice it has open rails instead of solid plexi). For now we'll stick to standard but would love to try cove in the future...I think close to the water would be cool!

We had a cove on the Dream last month and LOVED it. It was so peaceful and relaxing to be that close to the water. The lifeboats overhead were no bother. When you have the wide open blue sea to stare at, who wants to stare at the sky?! I can see the sky from home.

I would like to do a cove but DW seems to think it will be too noisy from the sound of the sea :confused: :rolleyes:

So its back to a deck 11 spa balcony for our Magic cruise, which is the same class we had on the breeze.

I would book a cove under the MDR or atrium and not under the galley though.

My husband and I are two of the very few people who do not like the cove balconies. We liked some features....being so close to the water was great. But....the floor, rails and furniture were always sticky with salt spray. I know the cabin stewards cleaned out there, because things would be rearranged, etc. But every time we wanted to sit out, we had to wipe everything down first, or put up with sticky hands and clothes.

I liked the cove on the Breeze but I'm not sure I would book one again. For us the main thing was being on deck 2 so far away from everything. We much prefer being closer to Lido. I will say coming back from port and dashing up one or 2 flights of stairs to our room was nice!

We didn't find being close to the water too loud. You're still pretty high up. Everything does get sticky from the salt as others have said. I think it's one of those things you have to try for yourself and form your own opinion. I can't imagine anyone hating it to the point it'd ruin their cruise b

We had cove balcony 2294 on the Breeze. Loved it! This was the first time for a CV and in the future that is what we will book. This room was close to the elevators, very quite, and private on the balcony. Love the Cove Balconies!