Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > St. Thomas/St. John

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old February 28th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Secret Harbour

Does anyone have any recent information regarding Secret Harbor? I am looking for a beach with shade, low crowd levels, chair rentals, decent rest rooms, and pleasant surroundings. I have been to Sapphire, Emerald, Megan's and Trunk Bay. Just looking to try something different. Thanks.

HAL Rotterdam (too long ago to remember)
RCCL Explorer of The Seas- 5/14/06, 6/8/07, 11/1/08, 6/25/09, 7/8/10, 8/4/11, 3/15/13, 3/29/14, 8/14/14

Old February 28th, 2013, 04:01 PM
5,000+ Club

WE visited SH a month ago while staying at Sapphire. We've been before (we looked at condos for sale earlier) and wanted to see if it had changed at all. The bay is smaller than Sapphire and the water is extremely calm because the bay is so well protected. SH has everything you're looking for except perhaps the shade. It also won't have the island views or waves that Sapphire has, and it will be about as busy because people stay there and other cruisers will be there. Sapphire offers more room to spread out of course. We would definitely choose SH over Magens and Emerald.
But SH is nice, we would go there if we didn't know about Sapphire if that helps at all.
Enjoy!

Old February 28th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

If you are coming on a cruise ship, your beach chair rental will be in the sun. If you need shade, I would agree with blue, that you should go to Sapphire.

Old February 28th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

On our last trip to St. Thomas we visited Secret Harbor because my husband was using the dive shop there. Beautiful beach, restaurant was good, bathrooms were nice but not a lot of shade.
NCL Spirit-Southern Caribbean April 2005
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas-GIRLS ONLY! Aug2005
NCL Majesty-Bermuda June 2007
Disney Magic-Eastern Caribbean Oct, 2009
RCCL Monarch of the Seas-GIRLS ONLY! Sep, 2010
Carnival Liberty Eastern Caribbean Oct 2011
NCL Sun Western Caribbean-Couples cruise! March 2012
Carnival Freedom Eastern Caribbean Oct 2013
Carnival Sunshine Southern Caribbean Oct 2014
Carnival Liberty Western Caribbean February 2015

My Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to the Caribbean on 02/15/2015 aboard the Carnival Liberty! Visit Carnival.com to see all Caribbean cruises.

Old February 28th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Not much shade

Although SH does not have much shade, there are hammocks, a nice bar and restaurant, chairs and its not too crowded. We really liked it, but as others have said Sapphire is better.

March 2015-- Jewel of the Seas-- St. Thomas, St. Croix, Antigua, St. Lucia, Grenada
March 2013--Victory--Nassau, Half Moon and Grand Turk Again

March 2010--Victory--Southern Carib
March 2009-- Destiny--GC and Ocho
March 2008-- Fascination-- Key West & Coz
March 2007-- Elation--Grand Turk, Half Moon, Nassau
2006-- Fascination--Key West & Calica

Save a life, adopt a pet

Old March 1st, 2013, 07:20 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PinaColadas View Post
Although SH does not have much shade, there are hammocks, a nice bar and restaurant, chairs and its not too crowded. We really liked it, but as others have said Sapphire is better.
And I should say that Sapphire being the better of the two is just our opinion. We know others prefer SH as well so it's a matter of choice as both are nice places to stay for a day or a week.
SH has a restaurant where Sapphire is really lacking that. But that affects people staying at the resort more than cruisers spending one day there because the Banana Cabana ans Sapphire Village have runners taking orders on the beach.

Old March 1st, 2013, 06:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PinaColadas View Post
The hammocks and the chairs in that area are reserved for guests and owners. The chairs that are rented by the dive shop are in front of the dive shop.

Old March 4th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the info. Sapphire is beautiful I was last there about five years ago and was somewhat concerned about things I have read about it being more crowded now and the restrooms not being the best. The friend I am traveling with has never been to St. Thomas. It sounds like Sapphire is the better choice.

HAL Rotterdam (too long ago to remember)
RCCL Explorer of The Seas- 5/14/06, 6/8/07, 11/1/08, 6/25/09, 7/8/10, 8/4/11, 3/15/13, 3/29/14, 8/14/14

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:55 AM
5,000+ Club

The negative reports are generally from other newcomers reading negative reports from others who have never been to Sapphire. () Makes a lot of sesne, huh?
The bathrooms are actually very nice for beach restrooms, they can just get "used" after a day of people using them. The problem is folks who don't have any respect for how they leave them. There are pics on another thread if you want to see them. The only problem we have while staying at the resort is the restaurant and pool bar are currently closed and it's not the same "resort" feel of earlier days. But the condos are very nice, the dive center rents everything you want, there are plenty of food and drink options, and the beach and water are gorgeous along with the island views. So for one day Sapphire is probably the nicest place to spend a beach day on the island. Your friend will enjoy Sapphire or SH, but Sapphire will be more comfortable.