London cruise around Ireland and Scotland

rcandkc

We are considering the 10 night cruise in September on the Voyager. It is round trip from London. Has anyone done this? We almost go for it and then my "gut" says no. :confused: Personal experience may help me decide.

Thanks.

I've taken this cruise twice and yes, the weather is a lottery, but the green lush landscape is the reward. It didn't hamper our fun or enjoyment of the places we visited. I've been in June and August. Just through in a sweater or sweat shirt and a raincoat. My favorite excursions were the standing stones on the Isle of Orkney and The Giant's Causeway in Belfast.

We did Iceland to London a couple of years ago in early June and loved it. It included many of the same ports that are on the cruise you are considering. I highly recommend it if you like history and beautiful scenery.

We did this cruise on Voyager in Aug of 2011. It was wonderful, pretty and interesting. We did the pub crawl (of course) in Belfast and learned so much rich history. Only had one rainy day that I can recall and it was not a problem.

Thanks everyone for your replies. My husband and I both have Irish ancestry so it is an interest to me (he has been on business). I think I am going to postpone. My Dad is aging and maybe that is bothering me about being so far away. Whatever, "my gut" feeling seems to be telling me to wait. Especially since it is not cheap! The very iffy weather just doesn't help me go forward right now. Please know before anyone criticizes me...my Alaska and New England cruises both had their share of rain and we had a great time. So, I know weather is a gamble, but since I am torn right now, I think y'all have helped me know my decision. Thank you.

The nice thing about being on a cruise ship when the weather is bad is that you can come back to the ship, dry off and change clothes, and then stay inside for cocktails and a sumptuous dinner, and a show if you like. And you don't have to drive in the rain.

But I agree, the British Isles is best done by land.

You don't know how much I understand. I cancelled a Med cruise this year for that same reason. My mother is in a skilled nursing facility and I just kept having this nagging feeling that I shouldn't go. Fortunately, she was fine during that period but I don't regret the cancellation because I know it would of been on mind during the trip. We rescheduled for the Panama cruise this April and for some reason I know it will be okay. However, if you do have a chance to get back to Ireland, go for it. I was on the same cruise with Rachel and I had to smile because one of the posters said her favorite excursions were the Standing Stones and the Giants Causeway which were my top two also. I've been to Ireland a couple of times once on land and the other sea and I enjoyed them both. The land trip was in June, 2001 with one of my daughters. We rented a car for two weeks and had a blast. We were fortunate because it only rained one night. No matter what time of year, it's a gamble. There is a reason for those 40 shades of green.

We have done it twice and loved it both times. One of our favorite cruises ever. Try to have lunch at the amazing The Three Chimneys in Skye and at the two Michelin Star restaurant Patrick Guilbaud in Dublin.

Try to do a land trip in Ireland, including Kilkenny, Kinsale, The Rock of Cashel, The Ring of Kerry, Killarney, Galway, The Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, Solis Lough Eske Castle in a suite in Donegal, and Newgrange.

We did this cruise in August 2011. Four days before we left, I had to put my mom in hospice. I almost cancelled the trip. But so many people said to me that when they had been in my shoes, they went. I made sure I said everything I needed to say to her before going. We went and I knew for sure it was the right thing to do once we were in London. We had a great time! I called home and she was fine. And you know what? She's still alive! I also have a 91 year old father and have spent many years worrying about their aging. I fnally understand that if I don't go, I may not get to the places I want to see. None of us knows what tomorrow will bring!

We did this cruise in August 2011. Four days before we left, I had to put my mom in hospice. I almost cancelled the trip. But so many people said to me that when they had been in my shoes, they went. I made sure I said everything I needed to say to her before going. We went and I knew for sure it was the right thing to do once we were in London. We had a great time! I called home and she was fine. And you know what? She's still alive! I also have a 91 year old father and have spent many years worrying about their aging. I fnally understand that if I don't go, I may not get to the places I want to see. None of us knows what tomorrow will bring!

I would press the LIKE button on Facebook. My mom is 94. She is pretty good for 94, but at that age, you never know. She is my biggest supporter when it comes to travel, and loves to see the pictures and hear all about it when I get home. She always wants us to go and not spend time worrying about her, because life is meant to be lived,not thinking about "what if".

I AGREE with every word you guys have been saying! Can't explain my feelings. We did book something tonight that has been on our list...Grand Canyon...for next fall. Very hard to get good rooms nearby unless you book a year in advance. We were almost late. I think it will be a great trip, always wanted to do it, easier to do when having "vibes" than a very expensive cruise that is harder traveling.

To all who are experiencing aging parents,

We have been in a position to take care of elders since 1987. DH parents lived to 99 and 95 and mine to 71 and 82. It bothers you for sure, but you just need to live your life and entrust them to people you know who will take care of them. Called home by doctor from Mexico once and like Mythologist, all was okay. It is a concern but your life must go on also.

rcandkc, Good to hear that you have an adventure on the books. You can now research, plan and have a great trip to look forward to. Hope it's a fun one!

Thanks. We also have a Regent cruise booked for 3/14 but that just seems so far away, so the almost 9/13 came into play. Funny, I had this vibe for the 9/13 but not 3/14. Silly, huh?

I do think I was feeling quilty traveling and never knowing......but everyone is correct that you can't think that way. Thanks all! Also, a lot of you have great genes with long life!

Archived