Paul Gauguin trip insurance

homeatlast

Their quote for the 2 of us for a proposed 7 night Society Islands cruise costing $11,700 was $1,370 (with a 75 % cancel for any reason clause). Does that seem high? If their insurance costs more, is there a special reason for it, like its the best or something?

It might add to our peace of mind to have their bundled product, but.......

We bought insurance through one of the travel insurance web sites. We didn't have cancel for any reason, and it was still steep at $500. (Compare to our most recent trip which was a week longer but to the UK and France for $300.)

I think the primary driver of cost is the medical evacuation insurance. An evacuation from French Polynesia would be very, very expensive.

I'm booked on an 11-nighter in 2016. We were quoted $475 pp by the cruise line, including pre-existing condition coverage. This is important because several large companies have stopped covering Canadians recently (CSA and I believe Travelguard).

But we decided to pass on it this time. It seemed crazy to spend that much more than 18 months out, since we don't have to pay for the cruise until September 2016. We'll make a decision later, and cross our fingers this time.

I'm very surprised. We are 65 and 68 so maybe that is the big reason or maybe it's that we are looking at a cruise 18 months away.

For a 7 night cruise on deck 4 (thanks for your thoughts on that!) an insurance quote of $1370 sure sounds like a lot.

I think we will just wait until much closer to try to book the cruise.

I'm very surprised. We are 65 and 68 so maybe that is the big reason or maybe it's that we are looking at a cruise 18 months away.

For a 7 night cruise on deck 4 (thanks for your thoughts on that!) an insurance quote of $1370 sure sounds like a lot.

I think we will just wait until much closer to try to book the cruise.

I am too. As I said, we got a quote of $950 for an 11-night, from PG cruises, 20 months out. We are 66 and 71.

It's best to check on line for pricing. Factors that influence cost are: age, cost of cruise, place you are cruising (it costs more to bring you back from Tahiti than Mexico for example and whether or not you need "cancel for any cause" coverage.

Some policies make you buy when you book. Others when you make the final payment.

Risk assessment is always hard. Life style, health and family greatly influence your decision when purchasing insurance.

I know friends who go on very expensive cruises but never buy insurance. The husband has very serious health issues but they seem to always go in spite of what he has. Once they went on a 23 day cruise and he ended up in the hospital afterwards with a very serious infection in his knee area. I believe he got it because he went cruising shortly after the surgery.

What price is peace of mind?

Lately we have been using TravelGuard and specifically, the My TravelGuard option. It allows you to pick you coverage, and for some reason, it has been cheaper than the same coverage from a packaged plan (Gold, Silver...etc).

Two years ago, $600 (for two of us) worth of coverage returned over $8000 when we had to leave in the middle of a cruise because of a medical issue.

Also, you don't really need to cover your whole cruise cost a year ahead of time if all you would lose is your deposit. Just MAKE SURE you up your coverage each time you make an additional payment to the cruise line. Many insurance policies will only fully cover you if you insure the TOTAL COST of the trip. Don't insure $10,000 out of an $11,000 cruise to save a few $$; you may be surprised if you need to make a claim.

As always, do your own research. "Your mileage may vary".

I usually book are travel insurance independently and have done so for our upcoming PG cruise. I go to http://www.insuremytrip.com to compare prices. I have booked with Allianz Global Assistance. I am booking air on my own, so I did not insure that part of the vacation. Three night pre-cruise and seven night cruise was $644.00 for two persons in their late fifties.

I just received the renewal info for one of my credit cards and it now covers up to $10,000.00 for trip interruption on cancellation (even for medical issues that cause you to cancel.)

It may not cover the entire cost but it is free.

Worth checking the benefits of your cards

Keep in mind that you may be dealing with a LOT more than the cost of the cruise if you need to be evacuated from the middle of the South Pacific.'

Fortunately, my evacuation was limited to a water taxi from Tahaa to Raiatea and then a flight from there to Papeete, but it was still $$$ + the cost of the cruise.

• 5 weeks later...

We got our insurance for the 7 night Tahiti trip through our booking agent (*************) and it's a great policy and was only $94 per person.

We are 53 and 45...maybe that is why it's so inexpensive. Granted it's NOT a "cancel for anything" policy, but the cancellation clause covers everything we would need IMO. Also has a huge med evac coverage.

Insuremytrip.com is a great site to shop also.

This has been my 2 cents. :D

Edited by Pengawin3

I agree. That seems like what you would pay to cover a plane ticket to PPT, not a PG cruise. If it is a full policy that includes at least $100K in evacuation, medical, travel interruption, etc. I would love to know who is issuing the cover, as it's a great deal.

I use Squaremouth to compare policies and select the one that best fits my needs, not always the cheapest one. I, too, agree that $100 is far to low to provide coverage for the full trip. Medical evacuation insurance from FP drives the price quite high.

There is definitely something missing from the $94 quote. We paid $644 to insure our 7 night cruise, plus 3 night pre-cruise (but not airfare). We have on going evacuation insurance from Medjet Assist. We prefer their product because they will evacuate you to your home hospital, not the "nearest medical facility".