Dress Code jan 10, 2016 sailing

I work five days a week dress in a dark blue suit with a shirt & tie. I do not want to wear them on vacation. So when they have Formal night will I have to eat outside?

we would need more info about which cruise line you're going on (and ship, as some have a variety of dining venues).

I work five days a week dress in a dark blue suit with a shirt & tie. I do not want to wear them on vacation. So when they have Formal night will I have to eat outside?

I would think most mainline cruiselines would not have a "mandatory" dress code...just suggested. Usually a shirt and slacks work well at least on RCI ships....becoming more the norm now. Enjoy your cruise.

Celebrity is the only line I know if that requires a jacket on formal nights. On other ships a lot of men don't even wear suit, let alone a tux, on formal nights- just Dockers and a polo shirt.

What ship are you going on? When we know we can be more specific as to need for a suit.

As others have said we would need more info about what line and where you are sailing, but generally no.

My husband feels the same way. He no longer likes to take a suit when we cruise and I am not about to make him. So he takes dress pants, a shirt and a tie.

I on the other hand wear scrubs on a daily basis and would love to dress up so I bring several dresses. But no, most cruise lines are not going to kick you out for not having a suit on.

Which ship? And why book a vacation that has a dress code not to your liking?

As a first responder (as you screen name would suggest) you surely know that formal ceremonies require formal dress uniform. On a ship "Formal night" also means just that. If you really don't want to wear a suit while on vacation then use the buffet or an alternative casual restaurant on that night.

Many of your fellow passengers are looking forward to the elegance of formal night, which is a long shipboard tradition. Please do not detract from that atmosphere for them by demanding to dine in the restaurant if you don't want to dress for the occasion.

Edited by BlueRiband

Which ship? And why book a vacation that has a dress code not to your liking?

As a first responder (as you screen name would suggest) you surely know that formal ceremonies require formal dress uniform. On a ship "Formal night" also means just that. If you really don't want to wear a suit while on vacation then use the buffet or an alternative casual restaurant on that night.

Many of your fellow passengers are looking forward to the elegance of formal night, which is a long shipboard tradition. Please do not detract from that atmosphere for them by demanding to dine in the restaurant if you don't want to dress for the occasion.

Why would a "first responder" know about formal ceremonies? Ski patrol members and lifeguards and wilderness EMTs are "first responders", and I know they would definitely not know about formal dress (as you designate it); formal for them would be clean jeans and a clean Tshirt…

OP: a few of your fellow passengers look forward to reliving/reviving the Titanic dining experience one night on a cruise. Please do not let them detract from your enjoyment of your cruise. I'm sure you picked the cruise for it's itinerary, not a suggested nightly dress.

Why would a "first responder" know about formal ceremonies?...

The OP said that he normally wears a "dark blue suit with a shirt & tie" five days a week, so I'm presuming he is a fire, police, or other formal first responder administrator. Commissioning ceremonies and funerals are formal events that normally call for dress uniforms. Nobody would think of disrespecting the new appointees or family members of the deceased by showing up otherwise.

It shows disrespect to a host and to fellow guests to dress in a manner far removed from what has been requested for an event. It would also show disrespect if the opposite was true - to dress in formal wear for a casual dinner. That would be telling the hosts and fellow guests, "I am proper even if you are not."

Edited by BlueRiband

OP: a few of your fellow passengers look forward to reliving/reviving the Titanic dining experience one night on a cruise. Please do not let them detract from your enjoyment of your cruise. I'm sure you picked the cruise for it's itinerary, not a suggested nightly dress.

Very well-said.

To the OP: Do not be bullied by those who want to tell you how you should dress.

We have 100+ cruises, since 1985, and have never heard anyone even mention the Titanic!

On a New Years Eve cruise I MAKE my husband bring his tux and I wear a beaded gown but only on New Year's cruises!

On other cruises he brings a suit because he wants to. He wore a suit and tie from Kindergarten until he graduated from high school, every day. Now he only wears it IF he wants do- we're both retired.

We live at the NC beach now and it is formal if a man is wearing socks!

Edited by Bonnie J.

Very well-said.

To the OP: Do not be bullied by those who want to tell you how you should dress.

the cruise line has every right to tell him how to dress. their ship, their rules.

'suggested' or otherwise. whatever the cruise line website says, is what they should be abiding by.

Many cruise lines have a formal night.

The suggestion of not booking on a cruise line that has a formal night is a little ridiculous. It will greatly reduce your choice of cruise line/ship.

We cruise often. We no longer pack formal clothes. Like you, I worked in a suit so why would I vacation in one? Now, we cannot be bothered and frankly the formal MDR event is not such a big deal.

We have not been on Cunard. But every other cruise line we have been on has a alternate dining venue that is casual-either the buffet or an alternate pay restaurant (Princess, Celebrity, etc).

Plus, what people say on this site, and what is on the cruise line site vis a vis formal night is often VERY different from what occurs on board where they are often much more liberal in their interpretation.

Leave you suit at home. Just go, relax, and enjoy yourselves.

Edited by iancal

The OP is simply asking a question.

Unfortunately, none of us can answer without knowing which cruise line.

LuLu

the cruise line has every right to tell him how to dress. their ship, their rules.

'suggested' or otherwise. whatever the cruise line website says, is what they should be abiding by.

Do any lines have a "no chair hogging" policy noted on their website? Any information that you can provide is much appreciated.

Sure. It's his vacation so whatever makes him comfortable should rule.:rolleyes:

Why don't you dress formal every night of your cruise, and I am sure no one would feel disrespected.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why don't you dress formal every night of your cruise, and I am sure no one would feel disrespected.

To dress formally on a casual dining night would indeed be disrespectful. It's essentially saying, "I am proper and you are not."

So if I wish to go into the MDR bare chested or bare footed, that is OK, as it is my vacation, and I can do what ever I wish?

My comment was meant sarcastically, especially in the context of my other posts within this thread.

what does that have to do with the original question?

It's a "rule" question not a question like how is the weather in the Caribbean in January and I thought that you may be able to help me out. I would really be thankful if you or another poster could save me some research. Thanks:)

To dress formally on a casual dining night would indeed be disrespectful. It's essentially saying, "I am proper and you are not."

Are you actually serious?:confused: Do you really care how other people dress or you just being sarcastic?:rolleyes:. I for one don't care how you dress any time.

Edited by Husky61

Same here. We could care less what others wear. Dress formal every night, dress casual ever night.....will not concern us or impact our enjoyment in any way.

I think the whole formal/informal discussion is overblown. People should mind their own business and get on with enjoying the cruise. It is up to the cruise line, and only the cruise line, to enforce to the degree that they deem appropriate. Other comments are nothing but noise level.

same here. We could care less what others wear. Dress formal every night, dress casual ever night.....will not concern us or impact our enjoyment in any way.

I think the whole formal/informal discussion is overblown. People should mind their own business and get on with enjoying the cruise. It is up to the cruise line, and only the cruise line, to enforce to the degree that they deem appropriate. Other comments are nothing but noise level.

"alright alright alright" :d

Celebrity is the only line I know if that requires a jacket on formal nights. On other ships a lot of men don't even wear suit, let alone a tux, on formal nights- just Dockers and a polo shirt.

What ship are you going on? When we know we can be more specific as to need for a suit.

I wonder why the Princess site says

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

If they don't require a jacket