Making a 10AM Flight Time

espmass

I never book an early flight home for fear of unexpected delays in the ship's arrival and clearance. However, the people we're traveling with went ahead and booked a 10AM flight home out of Fort Lauderdale without first checking with us and the change fee is very high. Royal is due in at 6AM and it's the only ship in port that day. Doing self debarkation and all four of us have priority boarding and pre-check. Unexpected delays of ship aside, think we'll make it??

The odds are in your favor (early self disembarkation, single ship in port, port to airport distance), but everything needs to go perfectly. The security line at FLL is another wild card that cannot be predicted.

Suggest you do some research on financial impact if you miss the 10AM flight so you can be ready to deal with the airline.

Flying from FLL you've got a good chance - it's a small airport (compared to MIA) and close to the port.

I prefer to leave plenty of time, I find it's better on my nerves, but 10am is quite possible if all goes smoothly.

Edited by lake5298

I never book an early flight home for fear of unexpected delays in the ship's arrival and clearance. However, the people we're traveling with went ahead and booked a 10AM flight home out of Fort Lauderdale without first checking with us and the change fee is very high. Royal is due in at 6AM and it's the only ship in port that day. Doing self debarkation and all four of us have priority boarding and pre-check. Unexpected delays of ship aside, think we'll make it??

You will make it easy, just make sure you walk off the ship first. We carry our own bags.

There is very little chance you will have a problem. I would not hesitate to book a 10AM departure even with a 7AM arrival, let alone 6AM. Getting in at 7AM I've been to the airport and past security at 7:45AM before.

Edited by huskerc

I've been at my gate at 9:00, and on most cruises could have done that easily had I chosen to.

On the other hand, there have been those few instances when the ship arrived late or Customs delayed the clearance and....once we almost missed a 3pm flight.

I'd look at what your alternatives are "just in case," but you're likely to be fine.

You can help yourself by carrying your luggage off,

rather than having the ship deliver it to the terminal.

The folks with their own luggage walk off first.

Additionally, Regal/Royal seem to be arriving a bit earlier than

other ships.

From Fort Lauderdale you should be OK. The Customs folk are typically there when the ships arrive and are quite efficient. We came close to missing our train when the customs agents didn't bother to show in time in Bayonne, NJ. Had Amtrak been on time we would have missed it.

What happens if you do indeed miss your flight?

Will the airline then put you on the next flight out or are you left to find your own way home ? Do you have to then pay last minute (i.e. high) rates for whatever flight they want to sell you ?

Are there other stiff monetary penalties ?

In other words - what's the worst that could happen ?

You will be there early.

First disembarkation time will likely be close to 7 AM.

What happens if you do indeed miss your flight?

Will the airline then put you on the next flight out or are you left to find your own way home ? Do you have to then pay last minute (i.e. high) rates for whatever flight they want to sell you ?

Are there other stiff monetary penalties ?

In other words - what's the worst that could happen ?

Worst that could happen is that you have to shell out for four same day tickets. Best case if you miss your original flight is that they put you on the next flight for no charge.

I really think taking a cab is a must!! You will get to the airport a lot quicker then taking princess transfers. It only takes 10 to 15 minutes buy cab.

A cab from port everglades to FLL is about the same price as

a single princess transfer. If you have more than one person

in your party, a cab wins.

The time you wish you had a transfer is when you disembark

in the mid-port area on a busy day, and there is an hour wait

for a cab, with BSO breaking up the fights.