Visa and Cell Phone Question, Panama Canal Transit, Island Princess

brianlojeck

Two questions:

1: The Princess website implies (but never outright states) that US Citizens do not need a visa from any of the ports on the December 2016 Panama Canal Transit (Mexico, Aruba, Columbia, Costa Rica, Nicaragua). Is this the case? Their advice to contact every Embassy in each port just doesn't seem practical.

2: is there a cell-phone-service I can sign up for that will work for all those ports? Preferably something month-to-month where I can just slap a SIM card into my usual phone.

Thanks for any advice!

No visa. And, you sail to Colombia, not Columbia (where is that?)

Check with your service provider for cell plans. There's no cell phone package on the ship. Only WiFi. You'll pay whatever roaming or cell package you get from your provider plus $2.49/minute.

And, you sail to Colombia, not Columbia (where is that?)

I dated a ColOmbian girl in high school who would get annoyed by the same thing. I guess my NY accent comes through the keyboard.

There's no cell phone package on the ship. Only WiFi.

on-board actually isn't my issue. I'm thinking more of being on-shore. Once we're back on-board I don't particularly care to communicate with anyone. :-)

Most cell providers offer a travel package to various places. Check the web site for your provider or give them a call.

As Pam said, no visas are required for this voyage. Enjoy!

Edited by Thrak

As a rule of thumb, ALWAYS verify visa requirements with either the US department of state and/or the individual country. These things do change, which is why the lines offer deliberately vague wording so as not to be liable.

That said, it is correct that Panama, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Colombia and Mexico do not require active visas for US day travelers arriving and departing by sea. They may do what is called a manifest grant, where the ship gives them a list of all passengers with passport or other identification data.

And if for some reason, medical or otherwise, you do not depart, you may need to obtain a visa in some countries, the port agent would assist with that.

on-board actually isn't my issue. I'm thinking more of being on-shore. Once we're back on-board I don't particularly care to communicate with anyone. :-)

When on shore, our T-mobile plan provides free text messages outside the US, and $0.20 /min for calls. On sail away, we switch to airplane mode to avoid other possible charges.

No visa. And, you sail to Colombia, not Columbia (where is that?)

Check with your service provider for cell plans. There's no cell phone package on the ship. Only WiFi. You'll pay whatever roaming or cell package you get from your provider plus $2.49/minute.

Columbia is in South Carolina. It is our state capital.

Two questions:

1: The Princess website implies (but never outright states) that US Citizens do not need a visa from any of the ports on the December 2016 Panama Canal Transit (Mexico, Aruba, Columbia, Costa Rica, Nicaragua). Is this the case? Their advice to contact every Embassy in each port just doesn't seem practical.

Thanks for any advice!

There's a place on the US Dept of State website that will give you the information:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country.html