Royal Clipper 02/05 Sailing

scdeb

Taking my first clipper cruise on 2/05/05. Is there much roll on the cruise? Is anyone out there going on the same cruise? We are in cabin 315 - can we open the windows? Thanks for any info that you have.

Hi scdeb,

My wife and I have sailed on the Royal twice, in February 2003 and 2004. I wrote a fairly detailed review which you can access on this site in the review section.

In 2003, we were also in cabin 315. This is one of 2 cabins at the rear of the ship and it is very quiet. You actually enter off of the deck (as opposed to an indoor corridor). It is a very comfortable cabin, with a large marble bathroom, complete with Jacuzzi. The bed is a true queen and is very comfortable. Due to the configuration, floor space is somewhat limited and the cabin is a little confined in floorspace but certainly more than adequate. And sorry, the windows do not open, but it is only a few steps out of your cabin onto the aft deck, which is never crowded. The only thing we didn't like about the cabin is the fact that the main window looks out onto a main deck passageway, so we had to keep our curtains shut when we wanted any sort of privacy. All said, you will feel very comfortable in this cabin.

Yes, the Royal is susceptible to a lot of motion. It is a sailing ship and, depending on the winds, the Captain tries to sail as much as possible. Leaving from and returning to Barbados are generally the roughest and it can get quite "rocking and rolling" on these legs of your itnerary. But, you soon get your sealegs and the sailing is very exhilerating, especially at night under the incredible starry skies.

The two Royal cruises were by far our favourites of the six cruises we have done. The Royal is a fantatic ship and we love the laidback atmosphere and the friendliness of both other passengers and the ship's crew that exists throughout the cruise. We have enjoyed the whole sailing aspect of it and are now booked for next February on the Star Clipper.

I am sure you will have a cruise to remember. Enjoy!

Spratty2k

• 3 weeks later...
We sailed on the Royal Clipper in March and had one of the aft cabins. I agree with everything Spratty2k wrote. Because of the configuration of the cabin, the area under the bed (great for suitcases) is not totally open like other cabins. Our cabin steward took one of our bags that didn't fit and stored it for us. I think you'll like the tub since you don't have the problem with water "sloshing" around the bathroom from ship movement that others have reported with regular showers. I think you'll like the cabin and love the cruise.

• 7 months later...

Archived