Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines

Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals.

Write a Carnival Review

NEW! Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 25th, 2013, 07:05 AM
RuthlessBoss RuthlessBoss is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,235
Default Space IN A 1A

Going solo on Ecstasy in a 1A (with bunks). A friend has hinted she might want to join me, but I don't want to pay for an upgrade in case she doesn't wind up going.
Is the space big enough to set up a cot? (neither of us is in shape to get onto a top bunk)
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #2  
Old August 25th, 2013, 07:48 AM
caribsun's Avatar
caribsun caribsun is online now
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: "Excelsior"
Posts: 4,666
Default

Should be a pic in this thread.
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...7&highlight=1a
__________________
Mercury 4/01, Zenith 3/02, NCL Majesty 5/02, S/S Norway 12/02, CCL Victory 1/05, CCL Miracle 10/05 CCL Victory 3/06, RCCL Grandeur 1/07, RCCL Rhapsody 5/07, CCL Triumph 4/08, CCL Triumph 11/08, CCL Miracle 11/09, NCL Spirit 8/2010, CCL Valor 11/2010, NCL Spirit 2/2011, Summit 8/2011, RCCL Explorer of the Seas 12/2011, CCL Conquest 2/2012, Summit 8/2012, NCL Jewel 11/4/12, CCL Glory 3/13, NCL Gem 04/09/13, CCL Freedom 11/16/13, CCL Glory 02/16/14

Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old August 25th, 2013, 08:40 AM
NCTribeFan's Avatar
NCTribeFan NCTribeFan is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 9,150
Default

Actually, most of the purpose of that 1A thread was to show people that all 1As are not created equally. But I'm sure there are pics of Fantasy-class 1As in there somewhere. I may have posted some.

I have pics of E183 on Fantasy in my last review thread. I would think it would be really tight to put a bed on the floor. Those are not large cabins. The pic from the doorways shows how little floor space there is.

OK, I can't get my photo to post. Here's a link to my review thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...fantasy+review

Going to have 3 of us in 4A next week. PVP was originally going to put us in one with 2 beds and a trundle and we ended up opting for two beds and a bunk just because we figured with three (mature) women, someone would end up getting up in the middle of the night and stepping on someone or tripping over the extra bed and breaking something. So the one who is "only" 50 gets to climb the ladder to the bunk.
__________________




Carnival: 11/16/13 Conquest; 9/1/13 Fantasy; 5/3/13 Fantasy; 10/22/12 & 10/27/12 B2B Fantasy; 11/26/11 Fascination; 10/16/11 Glory; 5/23/10 Fantasy; 12/14/09 Miracle (Platinum!); 10/24/09 Triumph (CTN); 5/17/09 Victory; 12/13/08 Fascination; 5/17/08 Glory; 12/17/07 Miracle; 12/18/06 Elation; 05/13/06 Fantasy; 06/20/04 Fantasy; 04/16/01 Jubilee
HAL: 11/21/10 Zaandam
Royal Caribbean: 04/19/03 Nordic Empress
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old August 25th, 2013, 08:41 AM
SkyMaster's Avatar
SkyMaster SkyMaster is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 5,449
Default

I cruise "solo" in 1-A's aboard "Fantasy" Class ships quite often, (including "Ecstasy" ), and frankly, I kind of doubt that there is room for a cot. Depending on how far from sailing date, she makes up her mind, you could probably upgrade to a 4A without too much expense. I think if were me, I'd just lay it on the line, and tell her that if she's really interested in sailing with you, that you need to know, so the proper cabin can be arranged for.

"SKY"
__________________
Marine
Pilot
Singer
Tuba Player
Veteran Cruiser
Carnival "DIAMOND"

Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old August 25th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Forchunut1's Avatar
Forchunut1 Forchunut1 is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,618
Default

I've done 1As a lot including on Fantasy class ships, and while they are plenty roomy for one person, I think it would be pretty crowded for two. Also, I would be very surprised if Carnival would even allow two people in a 1A. I suspect they would make you switch to a 4A.
__________________
Cindy aka Dirty Jenny Flint

Carnival Valor 2/8/15
Carnival Liberty 2/8/14
Carnival Victory 1/27/13
Carnival Destiny 10/15/12
Carnival Liberty 2/4/12
Carnival Dream 1/22/11
PLA-TI-NUM!
Carnival Victory 1/24/10
Carnival Fantasy 9/19/09
MSC Orchestra 2/28/09 - Giving a different cruiseline a try!
Elation 10/4/08
Enchantment of the Seas 2/4/08

Destiny 12/9/07
Paradise 6/11/07
Vision of the Seas 10/29/06 HALLOWEEN CRUISE
Valor 11/27/05 50th BIRTHDAY CRUISE!
Rhapsody of the Seas 2/6/05
Valor 1/2/05
Fascination 10/03
Holiday 10/02
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old August 25th, 2013, 10:26 AM
RuthlessBoss RuthlessBoss is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMaster View Post
I cruise "solo" in 1-A's aboard "Fantasy" Class ships quite often, (including "Ecstasy" ), and frankly, I kind of doubt that there is room for a cot. Depending on how far from sailing date, she makes up her mind, you could probably upgrade to a 4A without too much expense. I think if were me, I'd just lay it on the line, and tell her that if she's really interested in sailing with you, that you need to know, so the proper cabin can be arranged for.

"SKY"
I wish I could pin her down. Long story. I'm watching for price drops and might upgrade anyway. I'm in a guarantee, but I was given a cabin number when I booked and it's in a good location on Empress.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old August 25th, 2013, 01:38 PM
NCTribeFan's Avatar
NCTribeFan NCTribeFan is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 9,150
Default

Is it one of the aft 1As like I had? Were you able to look at the pics in my review thread?

I walked past an open door on Fascination one time and saw a cat 4 cabin with a double bed and a cot in the middle of the floor. That's what convinced me that we did not want a cot!
__________________




Carnival: 11/16/13 Conquest; 9/1/13 Fantasy; 5/3/13 Fantasy; 10/22/12 & 10/27/12 B2B Fantasy; 11/26/11 Fascination; 10/16/11 Glory; 5/23/10 Fantasy; 12/14/09 Miracle (Platinum!); 10/24/09 Triumph (CTN); 5/17/09 Victory; 12/13/08 Fascination; 5/17/08 Glory; 12/17/07 Miracle; 12/18/06 Elation; 05/13/06 Fantasy; 06/20/04 Fantasy; 04/16/01 Jubilee
HAL: 11/21/10 Zaandam
Royal Caribbean: 04/19/03 Nordic Empress
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old August 25th, 2013, 03:12 PM
golfadj's Avatar
golfadj golfadj is offline
20,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 26,617
Default

If I remember correctly we had a 1A on the Glory some years ago and the steward just put the mattress from the upper bunch on the floor and that is where I slept.

Would that work for your friend? I aint about to do this with DW again btw.
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old August 25th, 2013, 03:21 PM
crusinpsychRN's Avatar
crusinpsychRN crusinpsychRN is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tampa area
Posts: 10,656
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMaster View Post
I cruise "solo" in 1-A's aboard "Fantasy" Class ships quite often, (including "Ecstasy" ), and frankly, I kind of doubt that there is room for a cot. Depending on how far from sailing date, she makes up her mind, you could probably upgrade to a 4A without too much expense. I think if were me, I'd just lay it on the line, and tell her that if she's really interested in sailing with you, that you need to know, so the proper cabin can be arranged for.

"SKY"
Have to agree with this advice. The upgrade isn't that much more.
__________________
1964 Queen Elizabeth
1966 SS Florida
1980 Tropical
1982 Mardi Gras
1985 Jubilee
1998 Holiday
2002 Pride
2003 Grand Princess
2004 Mariner of the Seas
2006 Miracle Aug. 20
2008 Inspiration
Dec. '08 Glory
Aug. 2009 Inspiration
Feb. '10 Inspiration
2010 Legend
Sept. '10 Inspiration
2010 Inspiration
Sept. '11 Legend
November '11 Inspiration
Sept. '12 Legend
November '12 Legend
March '13 Legend
June '13 Miracle Alaska!
October '13 Legend Halloween Cruise
January '14 Paradise
April '14 Legend

UNOFFICIAL OFFICIAL DR RUTH FOR WHALE TAIL and UNOFFICIAL OFFICIAL GUARANTEED PRICE DROPS DROPPER


Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old August 25th, 2013, 04:03 PM
RuthlessBoss RuthlessBoss is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfadj View Post
If I remember correctly we had a 1A on the Glory some years ago and the steward just put the mattress from the upper bunch on the floor and that is where I slept.

Would that work for your friend? I aint about to do this with DW again btw.
I thought of that just a while ago. Saw the pics that were posted and think it might be close, but doable. I'd rather stay small than not go at all. It will be my #10 cruise. Maybe next year it will be back to balconies with my cabin share, but for now this will have to do. Remember I've already paid double as a solo.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old August 25th, 2013, 04:30 PM
SkyMaster's Avatar
SkyMaster SkyMaster is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 5,449
Default

I almost always try to get one of the cabins aft, on Empress Deck. Make sure it's far enough aft to avoid being under the galley however! Under the dining room is no problem, but under the galley is a totally different story! Empress deck has some GREAT 1-A, and 4-A cabins aft, right under the dining room, and only two decks below the promenade deck. GREAT LOCATION IMO!

"SKY"
__________________
Marine
Pilot
Singer
Tuba Player
Veteran Cruiser
Carnival "DIAMOND"

Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old August 25th, 2013, 06:30 PM
RuthlessBoss RuthlessBoss is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMaster View Post
I almost always try to get one of the cabins aft, on Empress Deck. Make sure it's far enough aft to avoid being under the galley however! Under the dining room is no problem, but under the galley is a totally different story! Empress deck has some GREAT 1-A, and 4-A cabins aft, right under the dining room, and only two decks below the promenade deck. GREAT LOCATION IMO!

"SKY"
Just checked. Unless they move me, I'm aft under Windsong I can zip up the elevator for the buffet. I pretty well know the ship (CASINO) after being on it 3 other times.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old August 25th, 2013, 07:15 PM
I Luv Crusin I Luv Crusin is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTribeFan View Post
Actually, most of the purpose of that 1A thread was to show people that all 1As are not created equally. But I'm sure there are pics of Fantasy-class 1As in there somewhere. I may have posted some.

I have pics of E183 on Fantasy in my last review thread. I would think it would be really tight to put a bed on the floor. Those are not large cabins. The pic from the doorways shows how little floor space there is.

OK, I can't get my photo to post. Here's a link to my review thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...fantasy+review

Going to have 3 of us in 4A next week. PVP was originally going to put us in one with 2 beds and a trundle and we ended up opting for two beds and a bunk just because we figured with three (mature) women, someone would end up getting up in the middle of the night and stepping on someone or tripping over the extra bed and breaking something. So the one who is "only" 50 gets to climb the ladder to the bunk.
I was in this situation with my sisters! We booked a 4A and since I'm the youngest and have no joint replacement I was destined for the top bunk. I got an upsell call at the last minute for a Cat. 12 and grabbed it! I'm sure it saved us from having a fallout!
__________________
Lesley
_____________________________________
Cruises taken:

Princess Cruise Lines 85,Fascination 11/01, Sensation 9/02, Conquest 12/5/04
Inspiration 7/4/2005, 4/1/06 HAL Veendam
Liberty 5/19/06 Europe, Glory 11/18/2006
Carnival Freedom 11/30/08 in a Cat. 12!!!!
Carnival Liberty (again) 10/31/09
Fantasy 9/24/2010 upsold to a GS!!!
Pride 10/2/11 to Bermuda!!! (#10!!!)
Cruise ALASKA!!! HAL Westerdam 9/8/12
Dream 4/6/13
Liberty 3/1/14 - yet AGAIN
Future Wish Cruises:
Northern Europe
New England/Canada
Southern Caribbean
Alaska, Bermuda, and Med again?
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old August 26th, 2013, 07:16 PM
virginiab virginiab is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago IL USA
Posts: 771
Default

I've booked 1A guarantees a few times and always had an agreement with my partner that if we got an upper bunk for the second bed, she would take it, and if we got a "sofabed" for the second bed, I would sleep on that.

As it happened, we always got upgraded to a regular inside cabin (4A or better) so we still haven't faced the reality of the second bed....
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old August 26th, 2013, 09:32 PM
RuthlessBoss RuthlessBoss is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,235
Default

I had hoped for a better cabin. What throws me is why I got a cabin number when I booked! That leads me to think I won't get a better cabin.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:22 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.