Help Please! what is walkable, etc

rdevine10

We are planning our 1st trip to Key west via the Freedom in April and Im trying to figure a few things out!

What I thought we might do (me, DH and 2 girls 11 and 8)- in no particular order

Fort Zachary Taylor & Visit the beach for a bit

See the Southern Most Point

Possibly see the end of A1A

Walk down the main street (Duval??) and see the funny statues/stores

Maybe grab some key lime pie

We are only in port from like 8 am to 1:30 or 2.

Are all of these things walkable for 4 fit people? Or should we just do a trolley tour too? Or walk one way and take a Pedi-cab back (can you do that for 4 people???)

Any insight would be very helpful!!!! Thanks!

We are planning our 1st trip to Key west via the Freedom in April and Im trying to figure a few things out!

What I thought we might do (me, DH and 2 girls 11 and 8)- in no particular order

Fort Zachary Taylor & Visit the beach for a bit

See the Southern Most Point

Possibly see the end of A1A

Walk down the main street (Duval??) and see the funny statues/stores

Maybe grab some key lime pie

We are only in port from like 8 am to 1:30 or 2.

Are all of these things walkable for 4 fit people? Or should we just do a trolley tour too? Or walk one way and take a Pedi-cab back (can you do that for 4 people???)

Any insight would be very helpful!!!! Thanks!

I think those pedicabs are overpriced.

The problem is that I would suggest saving the visit to Fort Zach for last so that you can see how much time you have left. If little, don't go, otherwise spend as much as possible.

If you walk off the docks and onto Whitehead you will pass the Mile Marker 0 for a photo, then can walk to the end to the Southernmost Point. If you walk one block over on South Street you hit Duval and can come back down looking at the various shops, galleries, etc. At the end, between the Ocean Key Resort and the Pierhouse, there are almost always cabs waiting for a fare. Hop one and ask the driver to take you to the entrance to the fort. You may want to grab a card so that you can call to be picked up to go back to the ship.

I think you can easliy do the first part in 2 hours, then spend at least 2 on the beach. Wear bathing suits underneath shorts and bring stuff to put on in case you want to get wet.

And there is an ice cream shop next to the Mad Hatter, 253 Front Street which is really on the docks. The ice cream shop (IIRC) sells Key lime pie, but at this point, ice cream might be more welcome.

Pjk

Edited by peter_krynicki

If you do go to the butterfly museum, a few block away you will find Flamingo Crossing. They have great, home made ice cream with lots of local fruit favors. I think it is the best ice cream in Key West. Might be a nice stop as you walk back up on Duval.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the performers in Mallory Square perform in the day time, or only at night?

We also have kids and are in port on the Magic in March. We were considering renting an electric car (my parents are also along, so six of us) to see the sites in a fun way, and though the square might be fun for the kids.

Thoughts?

Does anyone know if the performers in Mallory Square perform in the day time, or only at night?

We also have kids and are in port on the Magic in March. We were considering renting an electric car (my parents are also along, so six of us) to see the sites in a fun way, and though the square might be fun for the kids.

Thoughts?

The sunset celebration only occurs in the evening. The artists usually start setting up around 4pm

Mike:)

If you want to just listen to some music in the afternoon, the sunset pier at the Ocean Key Resort, 0 Duval Street, has started having a band or a musician then. It's not a bad place for drinks and lunch.

Pjk

Not to mention a fantastic view!

• 2 weeks later...
I would take the city tour trolley, it goes to all the spots you want to see...it is a hop on hop off trolley

I just returned from a trip, in the keys, if you like , take a look at my blog for info on what to do.

http://karanandmichael.blogspot.com/

Loved your Key West info and photos. My first time there. We plan to spend 3 hrs or so at the beach. I love to swim and would like to do a little snorkeling. Need a chair and umbrella. Would you recommend Ft. Zachery or Higgs?

I prefer Higgs Beach, since the sand is not full of rocks and it is easier to get in the water. If you are facing the beach, the far right end has a pier. You will see ruins of an older pier stretching out past the new one. These ruins are one of the best places to snorkel from shore, assuming good weather conditions (light winds and clear water). There is also a great restaurant here called Salute for a good lunch.

Fort Zachary is in a beautiful setting and has the fort to explore, but bring water shoes if you plan to walk the beach or swim. You can snorkel around the rock jetties in good conditions and see lots of fish, but I think the snorkeling is better at Higgs.p

As I said earlier in this post, our beaches are nothing special and most cruises have much better beach port options.

Thanks for the info. I know Key West isn't known for the beaches but only two ports of call on this 5 nite cruise. After the winter we have had in Maine I need my beach fix!! Though with 5 ships in port that day I might consider a half day snorkel excursion :p:p

Thanks for the info. I know Key West isn't known for the beaches but only two ports of call on this 5 nite cruise. After the winter we have had in Maine I need my beach fix!! Though with 5 ships in port that day I might consider a half day snorkel excursion :p:p

:eek: There won't be five ships in port in Key West.

The Constellation docks at the Westin Hotel pier (B) and is often the only ship in port when it is here.

Mike

:eek: There won't be five ships in port in Key West.

The Constellation docks at the Westin Hotel pier (B) and is often the only ship in port when it is here.

Mike

I read it in my roll call:confused: so happy to know it's not true. Is there a site you use? You made my day even though it is still snowing non stop here. Can't wait to be there. I lived in fl in my 20's but never made it to the keys. I know it will be a blast :D

• 2 weeks later...
Loved your Key West info and photos. My first time there. We plan to spend 3 hrs or so at the beach. I love to swim and would like to do a little snorkeling. Need a chair and umbrella. Would you recommend Ft. Zachery or Higgs?

I would recommend Higgs beach...Its close to The southernmost point area, and there is a restaurant there where you can rent chairs and umbrella, and the drinks are very nice! I'm glad you liked my blog post, It is so fun to write and review places we have been.

http://karanandmichael.blogspot.com/ If anyone else is interested...:)