DFDS Oslo-Copenhagen Ferry

Wingtips56

I'm considering taking the night ferry from Oslo to Copenhagen operated by DFDS Seaways on the "Crown of Scandinavia" or "Pearl of Scandinavia". Foot passengers as opposed to bringing a car.

Advice needed on which of the two might be the better ship and on selecting accommodations: are the Commodore Cabins and service dramatically better than the standard cabins enough to justify the price difference? Should we pre-book and pre-pay meals?

Or are we better off just fly to Copenhagen and pay for the extra night in a hotel, and have more time in the city? In early September, is the ferry trip all that enjoyable to use it as the more expensive alternative?

Please understand that I have no personal experience with this, but I do belong to another cruise forum with a member from Finland that travels a lot on these ferries. From my understanding, they are as large as a cruise ship, have huge duty free shops, several good restaurants, and small basic cabins...because it is only one night (and they want you out spending money). I would do it for the experience, but that is just me. EM

I have taken this ferry many times.....think "cruise ship" not ferry. It is huge and the buffet dinner is amazing. You arrive in downtown Oslo (or Copenhagen depending on which way you are traveling) after a good night's sleep.....or a lot of fun, depending on what you choose to do! The ships between Stockholm-Helsinki are similar. Which class of cabin? I don't think it makes much difference, perhaps other people feel differently.

Thanks for your advice. I think we'll go for it. In crunching numbers, it looks like we can do this for about the same, if not slightly less than flying and adding a hotel night in Copenhagen. I assume EUR 42 per person for dinner aboard is no worse than in a city restaurant.

We're spending a day or two in Copenhagen before getting on the Norwegian Sun for the next 24 nights on a Baltic round-trip back-to-back with a trans-Atlantic, so the novelty of the overnight ferry cruise isn't necessary, but could be fun.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I were on the Pearl of Scandinavia about two years ago. Maybe these pictures will help you with your decission: http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg175/europrolanguage/Mini%20Cruise%20to%20Oslo%202008/

And, depending on the cabin category of course, you'll find some cabins on board that are even better than the average cabin on a 'real' cruise ship. This is the cabin we had:

oslo2008-005.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've taken these ferries quite a lot in the past when I had to work in Copenhagen. Remember this is a ferry not a cruiseship, but still a very nice ferry. The public can be not terribly sophisticated. You can encounter drunk mini cruisers over the weekend or intoxicated conference passengers on a company outing. Security was quite good in order to restore order in the corridors again. In that way Scandinavian ferries have a bad reputation here.

Both ships are quite nice. The Pearl is the "newest" but I also like the Crown also. The Crown has got a more nineties decor. The Pearl is a former Viking Line ferry which they had to sell to Star Cruises in Singapore. So this explains some of the oriental decor which is left. But over the last years they have upgraded it.

Food is very good.(Especially for a ferry service) You can eat from the

buffet or have dinner in one of the restaurants. If you have a commodore cabin you have breakfast in your own Restaurant. Food is not cheap though.

I've been twice in Commodore accommodation on the Pearl which is very nice. You get complimentary sparkling wine and fruit.

In case you want to use the sauna or the swimming pool, it's free of charge.

The ship sails for 3 hours in the Oslo fjord towards Oslo, so you better get up early! ;-)

• 3 years later...

Hi there, I know this thread is several years old. We are thinking of this cruise after our NCL STAR Baltic cruise. We are considering taking this from Copenhagen to Oslo. I have a few questions. I know things can change, but just curious at this point.

How close is dock where this ship sails as compared to the cruise ships docks?

Is there a place to store luggage while we go into Copenhagen for a few hours?

Have any of you traveled in the Commodore cabins?

Is the view approaching Oslo in the morning viewable from the commodore lounge?

Does anyone have any pictures?

Thank you

• 1 month later...

Both ships have been renovated since I last travelled on this route, but maybe I can answer a few of your questions.

How close is dock where this ship sails as compared to the cruise ships docks?

In Copenhagen, it used to be much closer, but even the new berth is not too far away... under 5 minutes by car or 15 minutes if you're walking. The Little mermaid is a 20 minute walk away.

In Oslo, the distance is about double, but the ferry docks closer to the downtown area.

Is there a place to store luggage while we go into Copenhagen for a few hours?

I know they have a lost luggage desk, but I'm not sure if they have lockers or other storage. I'd just ask them directly: www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/customer-service/denmark-norway-ferry/

Have any of you traveled in the Commodore cabins?

We had a Commodore de Luxe on Pearl Seaways, and standard Commodore cabins on other DFDS ships such as Queen of Scandinavia, King Seaways, etc. We always liked them and had a great time on board. Check out the pictures I took: Copenhagen-Oslo Album

As mentioned, the pictures show a Commodore de Luxe cabin on Pearl Seaways when she was still Pearl of Scandinavia. She has since been renovated twice.

If you visit my Mini Cruise to Newcastle album, you'll find more pictures of cabins on other DFDS ships. Especially the Commodore Class cabins on Queen of Scandivia should give you a good idea of what the normal Commodore cabins are like.

Is the view approaching Oslo in the morning viewable from the commodore lounge?

Depends on whether you are on the Crown or the Pearl. Full details of the location of the Commodore de Luxe lounge can be found here:

www.dfdsseaways.dk/*****-bord/oslobaaden/skibs-fakta/

If you follow that link and click on "kahytter" or "De Luxe, suiter & lounge" you'll find more up to date pictures of the cabins.

Greetings all,

I'm the one that started the roll-call and I should have come back with a mini-review.

We did indeed to the overnight cruise from Oslo to Copenhagen on the "Crown of Scandinavia", now "Crown Seaways". It was very pleasant, better than just sitting on a train, beat the pants off getting to/from airports and what goes with flying, and was a great way to go. We had one of the Commodore Deluxe rooms looking straight out the front through big windows. It was like the room pictured above. Not my choice of color schemes, but it was a very nice, large, comfortable room. We had complementary drinks and little snacks in the Commodore lounge, mostly just because we could. It was just OK.

We never made it to the huge duty free shop, which I understand is the reason most people take the ferry. And the truckers take the ferry to save time and so they can drink all night ... evidently they don't hold their liquor well, but we had no effect.

The afternoon sail away on the rear decks afforded a nice view of Oslo retreating in the distance, and views of the wide fjord until it was getting dark.

We prepaid dinner at the top end Marco Polo, which turned out to be excellent, with the best service ever. Optionally, we bought the most expensive wine we've ever approached (Norwegian pricing :eek:) but it was also the best wine we've ever had. (A wonderful Spanish Ribera del Duero red.)

So basically our cruise was: sail-away with a beer on the open deck, wine and snacks in the lounge, outstanding dinner and a good night's sleep. We'd heard it can be rough up front (where we were) once you clear the fjord and enter the open straights, but we only felt some agreeable ocean-motion.

The ferry pier in Oslo was a ways from the center city tour boat port, which was a couple of blocks from our nice Doubletree hotel, so with bags, you'd want a taxi. On arrival in Copenhagen, it is a ways from the city center and a crazy mess on the sidewalk in front of the terminal. We had prepaid a bus to the center with DFDS, which we eventually found was a short walk -to the right as you face the street --, well away from the curbside mess with taxis and city buses.

Because we were in Commodore Deluxe, the buffet breakfast was included, and in a nice, quiet private dining room off the main area.

We booked it all in advance, through the DFDS website. Very easy. We figured that even going deluxe was less expensive overall than the plane and an extra hotel night .... since we were aboard overnight. We did run the restaurant bill up with extras and the wine, on top of the prepaid 3 courses, but what a great time.

We'll certainly do it again if we have occasion to transit between the two fascinating cities.

Thank you very much for this review. You answered most of my questions. I think we eill book this for many if the reasons you stated. The foreword cabin sounds like an excellent option Would your cabin fit three adults? Or would it be better to book a second cabin?

Thanks again.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Check the DFDS web site. They do have a Commodore De Luxe room showing 1-3 people, and the Owner's Suite. I can't imagine needing a jacuzzi on a single over night ferry ride, but it appears that's one of the few options for a Commodore class room with 3 people.

Otherwise they are all 2-person rooms, short of going down to a standard class room with upper and lower bunks for 4. We peeked into some of the standard, inside cabins while walking by, and they are not rooms you'd really want to spend any waking time in. But if you just wine & dine, shop and sleep, then that's enough. I think you'd hear whatever is going on in the next rooms, though.

Book early, though, as the bigger rooms appear to sell out.

I think our room possibly could have held a roll-away under the sloping front windows, but I couldn't guarantee that. And it doesn't look like an option to book.

There are variations between the two ships, so you might see exactly the room that would be right for you, but not on the night you want to sail.

FYI- our Commodore De Luxe room was much bigger than the balcony stateroom we had for the next 24 nights on Norwegian Sun.

Thanks again. It all sounds great. We do not need the hot tub either. We would like to take this from Copenhagen to Oslo after a NCL STAR Baltic cruise and then fly back to Oakland on Norwegian Air who recently started service to and from Oakland to Copenhagen, Stockholm and Oslo.

You are so right. This beats air travel!

Last weekend we took a mini trip to Copenhagen on Pearl Seaways and were horrified by the changes which have taken place and huge drop in standards.

Last December we were on Crown Seaways and already had very bad experience in the Blue Ribband Restaurant. Very slow service in a restaurant crammed with tables, lighting which generated the atmosphere of a hospital and food which had to be returned.

They have changed their catering concept and now opted for low cost premium priced food. On Pearl Seaways one of the largest restaurants is a Steakhouse. Very simple, cost effective and easy for DFDS just to serve a bland salad one potato and a steak. (at a premium price) However the steak had to be send back twice as first it was cold and the second time it was more fat than steak. Service was inconsistent. The ships seem to be generally understaffed nowadays.

The second night we ate at the Marco Polo. This premium priced Restaurant Marco Polo has been downgraded too. Food was just OK but room was once again too full with tables put together with bad acoustics, too bright lighting and no atmosphere at all.

They have a new Italian eatery with plastic seats which is downright tacky. Once again cheap food ingredients, easy to make at premium price.

The swimming pool and spa is an absolute joke. The children's playground is now integrated into the area which is extremely loud and noisy. Funny enough next to it divided by just a glass door are Spa treatment rooms... not a very relaxing place I imagine. The have now only ONE unisex changing room and showers. In the tiny room are built in cubicles for those who are in need of some more privacy. The person who has been in charge of this refurbishment must have been really on something. In general I get the feeling DFDS Management is currently clueless. However they are very good at spinning so-called upgrades which are basically down grades. Pearl Seaways recent refurbishment was spinned a lot in the media. However they've forgotten the outside. During breakfast at the buffet Restaurant I looked up to the bridge which was completely covered in rust.

I am kind of surprised theyadded more suites for the premium market considering how they cheapened and destroyed the once very good product. They certainly won't see me back again. :(

Thanks again. It all sounds great. We do not need the hot tub either. We would like to take this from Copenhagen to Oslo after a NCL STAR Baltic cruise and then fly back to Oakland on Norwegian Air who recently started service to and from Oakland to Copenhagen, Stockholm and Oslo.

You are so right. This beats air travel!

No there isn't, you can take a train where you need to change trains in Goteborg. Train schedules can be looked up at for example bahn.com

The Kiel to Oslo ferry is quite nice, currently the largest ferries in the world with a very similar design to RCCL Voyager Class

Btw you can also fly CPH-OSL-OAK on Norwegian. It's Scandinavia's largest low cost airline and is quite OK. Long haul they fly brand new 787. They had huge start up problems with it due to technical difficulties but they seem to be fine now.

Btw you can also fly CPH-OSL-OAK on Norwegian. It's Scandinavia's largest low cost airline and is quite OK. Long haul they fly brand new 787. They had huge start up problems with it due to technical difficulties but they seem to be fine now.

Yes we are looking at this exactly.

• 4 months later...

I am going on a 2-day cruise from CPH to OSL and return from this Tuesday with my wife celebrating our 2 year wedding day :) We are staying in the Owner's Suite with private outdoor area and outdoor jacuzzi - it looks really nice and we are hoping for good weather to enjoy the sunset from the jacuzzi. Theese suites are on Pearl.

Instead of paying a small fortune in the restaurants of the ferry we will be bringing tapas to enjoy in-suite together with some wine from the shop.

Then concept of bring-your-own-food actually works really well for us. We have also been doing it a few times when going to Norway for winter holiday. Beeing a small family with a small child it's quite nice. When travelling on the boat during winter I can recommend the Commodore De Luxe with indoor jacuzzi/bathtub. They are quite spacious with a proper sitting area and can be booked for 3 persons which is convenient as we are a familiy of 3 :)

Last year in December we ate in the Blue Riband restaurant - at it was really quite expensive considering the quality of the food. Just another reason to bring tapas for in-suite dining :)

The Commodore breakfast is, on the opposite, really nice.

We had a very nice return trip in our Owner's Suite indeed - weather was really nice both to Oslo and return and got to use the outdoor jacuzzi a lot - even though it is somewhat cold and windy outside with the ship on the move it is very nice once you are dipped well into the hot water.

The cabin itself is spacious indeed, only it is a bit sad that DFDS has not really out a lof of thoughts into the cabin to feel like a "owner's suite". Bascially there is a lot of wasted space, boring furniture and a sofa which is quite unplesant to sit in. I think it was designed to be placed against a wall - because the back reclined in a very uncomfortable way and could not be adjusted to a more upright position that you can see in the picture.

The bedroom is nice, comfortable bed - to the soft side. Lot's of light through the large windows and a very nice view indeed.

If you are going to use the jacuzzi this cabin is a good choice. But if you are not I would go for one of the smaller Commodore De Luxe cabins instead which are also very nice located in the front next to the suite. Do not count on sitting outside while sailing - it is way too windy - even on a trip like ours with very nice and almost no wind.

On the way back we checked back in at the ship around 2 pm and did enjoy some hours in the sun outside as well as in our jacuzzi.

The outdoor area is quite private, there are just a handfull of cabins where it is possible to see the terasse from.

On the way up we brought food on board - private dining in the cabin is absolutly possible and very nice. The small fridge was stocked with two beers and half a bottle of cava included in the price.

On the way home we ate in the Italian restaurant - they actually do make some very nice roman style pizzas. It is not cheap - but still does not feel like a total rip-off. The commodore breakfast buffet was very nice both ways with lots of food to choose from.

We did not really use any other of the clubs/bars on the ship. We went to the commodore lounge a few times for a coffee - it's a nice feature indeed and has wine/beer/soft drinks/snacks/etc including in the price.

Below some photos of the cabin etc.

We paid around USD 900 return for the trip. Compared to a similar featured hotel room in Copenhagen, I think the price is quite acceptable and the view is truly nice.

There is free wifi on board - however it's not very fast and periodically there is no connection at all.

1057675724_20140826-01.jpg.559925294cf84887e8e6821b30df88fc.jpg

766653142_20140826-02.jpg.fa0c04769d36975501d1fc245f42e211.jpg

1293439166_20140826-03.jpg.e08bcbe00e192fbc0202fd0c08794f52.jpg

1066618807_20140826-04.jpg.d53c0d93d546a832dcdfa595e7dfd8d1.jpg

657888347_20140826-05.jpg.375b0d1b40237fc33309437b80c4b533.jpg

519638841_20140826-06.jpg.eda9998a369ff296a0050933c9826890.jpg

2085855229_20140826-07.jpg.f088e2c9b713a0934137640a73f5822b.jpg

777480831_20140826-08.jpg.dec75961e5db110a7f1c07f0a009c89c.jpg

939798669_20140826-09.jpg.c9cafd1b402f6fb4e7d8639b611541a9.jpg

1199419327_20140826-10.jpg.3dac6edffdd7f158956e5fc92786333d.jpg

25741720_20140826-12.jpg.95a2936d62f07f5ef0aac59591b61aa3.jpg

1796855245_20140826-11.jpg.5c039eb0daa92acdf35d6e078797bf42.jpg