Six hours in Key West - is this doable?

erinmarie424

We have a morning stop in Key West at the end of April and are trying to put together our day. Looking for some advice from a local or frequent traveler to KW as to how doable the following schedule would be:

7:30ish off ship, walk around Old Town

9:00 rent bikes, ride to Ft Zachary, hang out there for a couple of hours, including snorkeling if it is warm enough

11:00 leave Ft Zachary, ride back, turn in bikes

11:30-1:00 look at some art galleries and maybe grab a drink

1:15 back to ship for 2:00 departure

Are we being realistic or trying to do too much? Have we allowed ourselves enough time for these activities or should we cut something out? Is it going to be warm enough in the morning to snorkel in comfort without a wet suit?

This is based partially on the fact that the bike rental places that I've looked at online don't open before 9:00 and most galleries don't open until 10:00. Are there any bike rental places open earlier than 9:00?

Thanks for any and all responses.

Erin

We have a morning stop in Key West at the end of April and are trying to put together our day. Looking for some advice from a local or frequent traveler to KW as to how doable the following schedule would be:

7:30ish off ship, walk around Old Town

9:00 rent bikes, ride to Ft Zachary, hang out there for a couple of hours, including snorkeling if it is warm enough

11:00 leave Ft Zachary, ride back, turn in bikes

11:30-1:00 look at some art galleries and maybe grab a drink

1:15 back to ship for 2:00 departure

Are we being realistic or trying to do too much? Have we allowed ourselves enough time for these activities or should we cut something out? Is it going to be warm enough in the morning to snorkel in comfort without a wet suit?

This is based partially on the fact that the bike rental places that I've looked at online don't open before 9:00 and most galleries don't open until 10:00. Are there any bike rental places open earlier than 9:00?

Thanks for any and all responses.

Erin

I would eliminate walking around Old Town. If there is no delay you still only have just over an hour and if there is a delay getting off the ship, less.

Eaton bikes will deliver bikes to you and their operating hours are 8:00 am

https://www.eatonbikes.com/ If the weather looks good, pre-book them and ask for them to be delivered to you in front of the Customs House, and the beach at Ft Zach is about a 10 minute ride away. The person who delivers the bikes will give you directions. You should be OK for snorkeling at the end of April.

Keep the bikes to ride to the end of Duval where there are several galleries and the bikes come with locks. Ride back to the Customs House where you will have Eaton Bikes pick them up.

Walk to El Meson de Pepe for that drink (hint ---> mojito) http://www.elmesondepepe.com/

Pjk

I would consider skipping Fort Zachary. It is only an average beach that is very rocky and I would think you have better beach options on your cruise. I guess it depends on your interests, but I would walk or bike around Old Town. Get a map and plan a route through the cemetery and out to The White Street Pier and Higgs Beach. When you are near the cemetery, you can detour to 5 Brothers for some Cuban Coffee and a pastry. At Higgs Beach, visit The Key West Garden Club at West Martello Tower for some nice views. After that you can head back to Duval starting at the end opposite Mallory Square where the nicer shops and galleries are and work your way back to the dock area. Eaton Street Bikes is a good option.

Thanks keywester33! My dh and I are headed there the week of April 11-18 and needed a plan, this really helps! Hope the weather is good!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

When we stopped at Key West, bike vendors were set up even though it was only 7:45. They are quite familiar with the ship schedules. My family rented bikes immediately after getting off the ship and used them to get everywhere they wished to go.

Take KeyWester33's advice. It's a great plan and you will get to see the beauty of Old Town, which should not be missed. My only comments is skip the pastry at Five Brothers and go for the cheese toast!