Nieuw Amsterdam laundry room

phinn

Leaving on the Nieuw Amsterdam 3/1. First time I will be on a ship with a laundry area. Can anyone tell me if they have irons available there to press your clothing if needed? Also, if you do wash there do you use cash or is it put on your account? Thanks for any reply.

The Nieuw Amsterdam doesn't have a laundry room; the Amsterdam does. Are you confusing the two ships (fairly easy to do, considering the similar names).

On the Nieuw Amsterdam laundry can be sent out and paid for by the piece, by the bag ($20; $26 in Europe), or on an "unlimited" plan where you can send as much, or as little, as often as you like, for one set price ($7 x number of days in cruise; $9 x number of days in cruise in Europe).

The Amsterdam does have laundry rooms with washers, dryers, and an ironing board w/iron.

I see only the Nieuw A sailing on 3/1, so no self-service laundry for you. :)

Not that I want to do laundry on vacation, but from what I understand from other threads, all laundry is done in hot water and dried on hot as well. That leaves me doing a lot of laundry by hand since most of my garments need to be washed on warm at the most and dried on low or hung to dry. I am not sure that the unlimited laundry is worth it considering those limitations.

Not that I want to do laundry on vacation, but from what I understand from other threads, all laundry is done in hot water and dried on hot as well. That leaves me doing a lot of laundry by hand since most of my garments need to be washed on warm at the most and dried on low or hung to dry. I am not sure that the unlimited laundry is worth it considering those limitations.

I hear you. I end up doing a fair bit of my laundry in the tub. When I'm at home the only thing that goes in the dryer are sheets and towels. Everything else gets air dried.

That leaves me doing a lot of laundry by hand since most of my garments need to be washed on warm at the most and dried on low or hung to dry.
Well ... maybe you can do some in ports? Or buy some vacation clothes that can stand hot washing and drying?

Edited by jtl513

Well ... maybe you can do some in ports? Or buy some vacation clothes that can stand hot washing and drying?

Thanks for the suggestions, however, I spent a fair amount of money already on my wardrobe and doing some hand laundry isn't going to kill me. My daughter hasn't bought her clothes yet as she is in the middle of losing weight on a medically supervised program. I did inform her that we would need to look for pieces that can withstand hot water but I think that this is going to be difficult. Very few clothes have labels that indicate safe for washing in hot water.

Considering the cost and the fact this service is available, one would think that appropriate care for each garment would be included. I am really grateful that I found out differently prior to having a bunch of clothes ruined.

What Danni said.

I figure I would rather spent a little time in the evening washing up, than that time and more, shopping for replacements for ruined items in port.

I've been given to believe the hot/hot is at least partly for sanitation reasons -- since they will not be using a small washer for just one person's clothing, yours could be in a larger washer with someone else's... and they might have the flu or Noro!

I always write in "Cold water, please" on the laundry form, and things don't look too bad - however, everything has to go in dryers, so anything I would hang to dry I wash by hand. As others have said, the shampoo in the room is good for that.

I always write in "Cold water, please" on the laundry form, and things don't look too bad - however, everything has to go in dryers, so anything I would hang to dry I wash by hand. As others have said, the shampoo in the room is good for that.

I write that too but I think it's largely ignored. Like the other poster I do not mind doing some hand washing. I like my nice clothing and I'm not going to buy something I don't like so it can withstand the laundry process.

Thanks for the suggestions, however, I spent a fair amount of money already on my wardrobe and doing some hand laundry isn't going to kill me. My daughter hasn't bought her clothes yet as she is in the middle of losing weight on a medically supervised program. I did inform her that we would need to look for pieces that can withstand hot water but I think that this is going to be difficult. Very few clothes have labels that indicate safe for washing in hot water.

Considering the cost and the fact this service is available, one would think that appropriate care for each garment would be included. I am really grateful that I found out differently prior to having a bunch of clothes ruined.

We use the laundry service on the ships and have never had an issue with shrinkage, etc. although after multiple washings (and I am talking >10) on long cruises, bright colors have faded just a bit. We travel with mostly cotton fabrics, shirts, shorts, etc. and always make sure they have been washed a few times at home in warm/cold and been thrown in the dryer. Delicates are done by hand in the bathroom.

Now, I cannot remember the answer to part of the original question - are their irons available on the NA or would everything need to go out for pressing??

Edited by take us away

We use the laundry service on the ships and have never had an issue with shrinkage, etc. although after multiple washings (and I am talking >10) on long cruises, bright colors have faded just a bit. We travel with mostly cotton fabrics, shirts, shorts, etc. and always make sure they have been washed a few times at home in warm/cold and been thrown in the dryer. Delicates are done by hand in the bathroom.

Now, I cannot remember the answer to part of the original question - are their irons available on the NA or would everything need to go out for pressing??

I think that people that experience the shrinkage are likely people that don't dry clothes in the dryer at home hence the shrinkage.

During a Behind the Scenes Tour of the Ms Oosterdam, I asked the Laundry Manager about hot water. His reply was that guests clothing was washed in warm water, and if requested, it will be washed in cold water.

We have sent out laundry on nearly every cruise day for the past six years. Items marked wash cold and dry low have never been damaged. The only things that we wash in a sink/tub are items that require line drying.

We appreciate the ship's laundry and pack only enough clothing for 3-4 days while reserving our soda checked-in luggage for returning souvenirs.

Absolutely, that has happened to me, but shrinkage can also have to do with the DR and Lido!

I agree :D but I've had a couple of pairs of pants that had never seen the dryer until I sent them to the ship laundry. They were tight after that and they are still tight even though I'm back to my fighting weight :D.

• 7 months later...

wow, glad I read this... I'm really disappointed I can't do my own laundry in cold and "cool" dryer. I guess I may have to hunt for a laundramat in a port... but is it hard to find coin laundry in Spain and Italy near to the ships?

I'm not worried about shrinkage as much as I am about knits getting stretched or the pants/capris/jeggings with lycra losing their stretch... HOT dryers are worse than HOT water; at home I line dry nearly everything these days. I don't mind doing wash in the sink but these travel knit/lycra stuff can take a long while to dry. Very disappointed that the ship won't have these facilities.

:(