Just wondering

1of4

Is there a benefit to booking with a PCC? Sorry if this has been answered many times over. I am on a tablet and can't get search to function. Are itineraries released to them first? OBC bonus? Ability to get desired dining time?

I want to know why you can phone HAL and book with an agent or you can book with a PCC. The PCCs do not work on the weekends? Why the distinction? I was just wondering if you have to be spending a certain amount for a PCC to be interested.

I don't believe there is any benefit. After booking a cruise onboard, I had calls from 3 people who said they were my PCC:rolleyes: but I transferred the booking to a TA who gave me a very nice OBC in addition to the one I had from HAL, which transferred with the booking. And in my very limited HAL experience, 2 upsells/upgrades to Neptune without the benefit of a PCC. I think it's a fallacy that having a PCC gives you an advantage. Just MHO.

I book with a PCC because a ta never did anything for me. I think you are more likely to see upsells if you book with a PCC unless your ta is the bestie of the upsell manager :D. I used a ta for years and only ever saw one upsell. You'd likely do better with an obc if your ta provides one. Mine never did. You can get a PCC assigned no matter how much or little you spend.

Odd about not being able to search. I have more problems on my desktop than I do on my iPad.

Edited by cruz chic

Is there a benefit to booking with a PCC? Sorry if this has been answered many times over. I am on a tablet and can't get search to function. Are itineraries released to them first? OBC bonus? Ability to get desired dining time?

I want to know why you can phone HAL and book with an agent or you can book with a PCC. The PCCs do not work on the weekends? Why the distinction? I was just wondering if you have to be spending a certain amount for a PCC to be interested.

I prefer having the one point of contact that a PCC provides, instead of "whoever answers the phone" at the call centre.

We've had two excellent PCCs and one that was a waste of oxygen. We don't book expensive cruises, and from the two that are excellent, I've never gotten the feeling that they were disinterested because of a low-value booking. The one who was a waste of oxygen wouldn't have been motivated by anything, I suspect ;)

Because we book low-cost cruises, any OBCs or similar from a TA don't offset my comfort level of being able to pick up the phone and speak directly to HAL through my PCC. And my PCC has gone to bat for me a couple of times, which has really impressed me.

I had used a PCC twice over the years. Then I started reading CC. Booked a 39 day repositioning cruise while onboard through HAL. Called the TA when I got home. They were able to give me a discount of about $1100 plus $400 more OBC. So, I transferred the booking to them. Would have never done it had I not read about all the people who get better deals through their TA.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think that in the "olden days" the PCCs had more stature within the organization. I had one some years back. Who was fantastic. Now, not so much. I recently missed a very hot deal on a cruise because mine didn't return emails in a timely fashion. By the time he got around to getting back to me the category I wanted was sold out. I asked him to wait list me and he did that incorrectly resulting in the wait list being cancelled. Ugh.

I'm sailing on the Celebrity Eclipse next Sunday for two weeks. Why Celebrity? Because I called my HAL PCC and tried to find out if HAL was planning any perks for a cruise this year ( called in August). The PCC knew nothing. Asked her to double check because my first choice was HAL - sailed with them three times in a row. Nope! Still nothing. So I called my travel agent who got me onto Celebrity with a 123 package and an additional $75 OBC. Next time I book, I'll do it through my own Tavel agent and not HALs PCC.

Edited by budisal

I like building a relationship with PCC so I can 'talk shorthand' when I call. PCC knows what table number I want, what cabins I like and don't etc

That being said my PCC of many years retired and I have to start again. :)

I do not like using a TA which makes me unable to speak directly with HAL if I have question/issue. I don't like having that middle man.

Edited by sail7seas

Recently, I was using a PCC for a future cruise. I can tell you, she was a real pleasure to work with. I changed my reservation three times and she was always pleasant, very professional and prompt. When I couldn't find a cabin I wanted, she was able to open one up. Well that being said, I found out an agency was offering a substantial OBC. So I called and asked it she could match it. She couldn't, but cheerfully she told me she would transfer my booking to the agency!!! And she said she still got credit for the booking so I shouldn't feel bad. So it was a benefit working with her... Even though I ended up using someone else. BTW, the new agent took 2 days to call me back, but I guess a little inconvenience is worth a $575 OBC... I think the PPC would have helped me lower my fare if rates were to go down, which I'm sure they will, and I even think I'd be more apt to get a small upgrade. But I think the $575 will make up for that, and I won't have to constantly watch for price drops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used the same PCC for several years now. He is always pleasant and prompt with anything I need. He has never called to offer me an upsell or to suggest a cruise where I might be able to get a good price or OBC. Like s7s I like to eliminate the 'middle man' and deal directly with HAL.

Some folks do prefer to deal directly with the cruise line and their PCC. Others prefer to save money (sometimes thousands of dollars) by shopping around among multiple cruise/travel agencies. There is no right or wrong...it is just whatever "floats your boat."

Hank

Tried a PCC once and went back to our TA of many years. He works in an agency affiliated with a huge consortium and because of this has been able to work a few miracles over the years as they have a full time HAL-only agent who knows who to call, what to ask for, etc. We receive much more OBC, e.g. provided from HAL and from his agency plus more from the consortium, he can almost always matches any offer I can find whether fare or perk, there is often a very nice wine in the cabin.

Some folks do prefer to deal directly with the cruise line and their PCC. Others prefer to save money (sometimes thousands of dollars) by shopping around among multiple cruise/travel agencies. There is no right or wrong...it is just whatever "floats your boat."

Hank

I'm sure everyone likes to save money but most people can't take 50 or 60 day cruises so there would be no opportunity to save thousands. To eliminate the middleman is worth more than saving $50 to me. There are also a lot of shady online TAs so you really have to do your homework.

I'm sure everyone likes to save money but most people can't take 50 or 60 day cruises so there would be no opportunity to save thousands. To eliminate the middleman is worth more than saving $50 to me. There are also a lot of shady online TAs so you really have to do your homework.

I feel the same way. We're happy with our PCC and have been very unhappy with the TAs we have worked with. Not worth the hassle for us.