Formal night in blu?

I am a first time cruiser. We have booked a cabin in Aqua class aboard the Equinox. Do you dress for Blu on formal nights. Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I'm almost tempted to say that: "unless you are on a nude cruise, you should always dress for Blu", but I won't say it :) You need not wear formalwear in Blu on formal nights, The dress code is "smart casual" every night. The same applies to the specialty restaurants. However, some do go formal in Blu on formal nights. Really it is your choice. Enjoy your first cruise.

On our South America cruise on Infinity in Aqua in February 2012, on the first formal night I only counted one man in shirt sleeves. Most of the men wore tuxes, followed by those in dark suits. My DH wore a dark blue blazer and tie and was one of 5 men dressed like that. The next 2 formal nights were basically the same. We did eat early on each formal night.

For our cruise to Australia next March in Aqua, my DH said he is bringing his dark suit. We absolutely loved Blu.

I guess my DH will be that one in shirtsleeves ;). One of the reasons we booked Aqua for our Alaskan cruise was so that we would not have to drag formal wear on a 14 night land/sea cruise.

It's a lot more than one who are in shirtsleeves so don't worry about it..

I am a first time cruiser. We have booked a cabin in Aqua class aboard the Equinox. Do you dress for Blu on formal nights. Thanks!

On the Eclipse in February I specifically asked the maitre'd in Blu about this because we are doing the Med in May on the Solstice and wanted to see if we could avoid the packing hassle of suits. His response was that formal attire is required in Blu and if not worn, a man could be given a suit jacket upon entering, or asked to change his attire. I do know that on our 2/11 Eclipse cruise we did see them giving men coats if they were under dressed.

I can't speak to anyone elses experiences but that is what I was told.

On the Eclipse in February I specifically asked the maitre'd in Blu about this because we are doing the Med in May on the Solstice and wanted to see if we could avoid the packing hassle of suits. His response was that formal attire is required in Blu and if not worn, a man could be given a suit jacket upon entering, or asked to change his attire. I do know that on our 2/11 Eclipse cruise we did see them giving men coats if they were under dressed.

You were given incorrect information!

Are you sure that wasn't the MDR? They will do that there for sure.

Are you sure that wasn't the MDR? They will do that there for sure.

Yes, I specifically asked about Blu while I was in Blu, mainly because of all of the conflicting reports here on cc. Like I said, I cannot promise that this would be the case for everyone but this is what we were told. In Blu on the Silhouette in August I also saw men being given jackets to wear, in addition to the Eclipse 2/10. Again, this is only my experience

The info you were given was wrong, Blu has been smart casual for awhile now, the problem was that it took a bit for them to get the message on the ships.

Here the dress code from the web site, clearly states Blu is "smart casual."

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_dining&tab=onboard_proper_dining_attire_tab%2Fonboard%2FtextPanel.do%3Fpagename%3Donboard_proper_dining_attire

Hi,

DH detests suits espcially packing them for an 11 nt cruise. we booked AQ so we could dine at BLU and would like to avoid having to pack the suit. In case we need one for an occasional jaunt to the MDR, it would be great to know that hey have jackets he can borrow...is that true? Is there a fee for that?

Thanks!

Blu is smart casual on all nights, but a majority of people do still dress up on the formal nights.

Was on 11/6/2012 Silhoette cruise and,booked in Aqua Class and ate in Blu evert night on a 12 night cruise.The majority were dressed smart casual,only a few were dressed in tuxedos or dark suits.I dressed smart casual every night.

Is the menu in Blu enhanced on Formal night?

TIA for your feedback.

Nancy

No it isn't although they do have the lobster usually on the 2nd formal night. Just a point, that formal night is only expected in the MDR, nowhere else on the ship.

On the Eclipse in February I specifically asked the Maitre'd in Blu about this because we are doing the Med in May on the Solstice and wanted to see if we could avoid the packing hassle of suits. His response was that formal attire is required in Blu and if not worn, a man could be given a suit jacket upon entering, or asked to change his attire.

Here is at least one crew member that requires some additional training.

Here is at least one crew member that requires some additional training.

The Solstice has a few as well. On one formal night they wouldn't allow people into the theater if not in formal attire. I noted this in my comment card, hope they get the message.

The Solstice has a few as well. On one formal night they wouldn't allow people into the theater if not in formal attire. I noted this in my comment card, hope they get the message.

You sure it wasn't "smart casual", they haven't required formal dress in the theater on formal nights for years...

You sure it wasn't "smart casual", they haven't required formal dress in the theater on formal nights for years...

Oh yes, definitely. I was in my suit during dinner but changed into khakis and a short sleeve polo shirt after dinner, and was asked by a polite yet snooty Celebrity employee to please observe the evening dress code for the theater.

No loss really since I had a great time at the Sunset bar with several mojitos and a few new friends :)

Oh yes, definitely. I was in my suit during dinner but changed into khakis and a short sleeve polo shirt after dinner, and was asked by a polite yet snooty Celebrity employee to please observe the evening dress code for the theater.

Another person who needs retraining....

Have been in AQ class several times on various ships. For formal nights in Blu, the majority of men wore jackets (either tux, suit, or sport coat). Because we hate packing formal attire, DH just brought a sport coat and tie. It didn't take up much space, and eliminated any concerns about what others would be wearing.

In December 2011, shortly after the policy change in Blu, most men were in suits and or sport jackets on both formal nights. DH wore dark suit with tie first formal night and without tie on 2 nd formal night. Only saw one group in jeans (and they were in their 20s).

I am also wearing smart casual. We are able to now pack in one case instead of 2. This amounts to a considerable savings in travel besides being comfortable. It will also make it easier for self embarkation. May even think about taking half the clothes using 2 carry ons and using the laundry service

Archived