Transportation Airport to Cruise Terminal in Papeete

tbtest

I have a few questions about transportation to the cruise terminal from the airport that hopefully everyone out there can help with with our cruise out of Papeete on Princess. What is the easiest way to get from the airport to the cruise terminal in Papeete? Are there taxis? How much and far is the cruise terminal from the airport? What time can you board the ship in the day of the criuse? If we arrive at 5:30am and have a number of hours to kill, is there something to do around the airport/cruise terminal that is within walking distance?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by tbtest

Are you going on the PG? We cruised the PG last Feb, easily took a taxi from the airport to the ship. Cost about $35, and yes they accept USD! Time is about 10 minutes from the airport. Lots of taxis available.

We arrived late and did not have time to check out the cruise terminal area, but I'm thinking there is more available to do at that location rather than the airport.

Enjoy!! The PG was a fantastic trip!

I'm hoping that someone who's done Princess will chime in here.

Taxis are cheap from the airport, and the port is close by. Some take USD although there is a currency exchange right in the airport. Depending on the day of the week, the Papeete market should be in full swing, and it's a real treat. Since the ship is often in port the night before, you might be able to drop your bags off there for storage, but I can't confirm that. What is the published embarkation time?

• 2 weeks later...

If I remember correct the taxi was about 2000 local currency. Did not use the meter, maybe that is better, as traffic can be busy in the morning. We arrived about 6:30 am and came out of airport before 8:00 am and it was busy traffic into Papeete so the driver took a small road. We left luggage at the PG dock pier and went to the information centre just outside the dock. They arranged an island tour for us together with passengers from another cruise ship. It took about 4 hours and cost usd 50 for each person. The guide is David from Hawaii. When we came back we went to the market and had simple lunch and then we went on board the PG at 2:30 pm. I changed 300 USD at the bank outside the airport, but the rate was not favourable, something like 1 usd = 81 XPF while the actual rate should be over 85. But I used up all that amount in the end of the cruise, with the last small amount spent outside the information centre for a small souvenier gift.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at airfare now, seems going out of LA is the way to go and I can worry about how to get to LA later. I was thinking of flying in a day early and being able to relax a little before boarding the next day sometime. The site seeing trip that someone mentioned sounds nice. Trying to look at a hotel for the night before sailing. Has anyone had an issue flying out on Sundays? I will ck that forum out as well.

• 1 month later...
I'm hoping that someone who's done Princess will chime in here.

Taxis are cheap from the airport, and the port is close by. Some take USD although there is a currency exchange right in the airport. Depending on the day of the week, the Papeete market should be in full swing, and it's a real treat. Since the ship is often in port the night before, you might be able to drop your bags off there for storage, but I can't confirm that. What is the published embarkation time?

Wow--thanks! I had just posted a ? regarding this....We are scheduled to arrive at 5:30am on the 28th of December 2010. Going on Princess --I think it's the Royal. Am so very much looking forward to it. And we have another cruise scheduled in the summer of 2010.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been to this port twice with Princess. We took a taxi from the ship to the airport - very close and not $$$. Caution - their airport is not open 24/7 like ours in the US. So you might want to check the hours before heading to the airport.

Once you get to the ship, drop your bags with the porters and right across the street is the major marketplace. Lots of fresh fruit, flowers, fish and souvenir items. You can stroll around there for hours....or we booked a tour of the island with Patrick in a 4x4 - it was a great tour - Patrick keeps you entertained and a great way to see the island.

Also, if you are there in the evening - right beside the port area they set up food trucks with all types of food - yummy stuff - convenient and cheap.

Enjoy....plenty to keep you busy.

• 2 years later...

Hi there, when you said you arrived late, doe this mean in the evening? We'll be arriving Papeete around 9:00 p.m. and our ship (MARINA) leaves at 11:00 p.m. They charge an arm and a leg for pre-cruise transfer. Would we have time to change some money, find a cab for that 10-minute ride? Thanks for your help.

Taxi prices are double after dark, about $40 USD from the airport to the terminal.

There is an ATM machine at the airport, sometimes it's working, sometimes not. Usually the ship will exchange small quanities for you are a realistic rate.

You might also ask the taxi driver to stop on the way at a bank ATM.

Edited by Tikiintahiti

• 3 weeks later...

Can you provide a link to find Patrick?

We have been to this port twice with Princess. We took a taxi from the ship to the airport - very close and not $$$. Caution - their airport is not open 24/7 like ours in the US. So you might want to check the hours before heading to the airport.

Once you get to the ship, drop your bags with the porters and right across the street is the major marketplace. Lots of fresh fruit, flowers, fish and souvenir items. You can stroll around there for hours....or we booked a tour of the island with Patrick in a 4x4 - it was a great tour - Patrick keeps you entertained and a great way to see the island.

Also, if you are there in the evening - right beside the port area they set up food trucks with all types of food - yummy stuff - convenient and cheap.

Enjoy....plenty to keep you busy.

We are booked with him for the 1/2 day tour next month (eek! That is so cool to say, finally!). I will do a review once I return but I booked it based on other reviews here and on TripAdvisor.

Thank you. Enjoy your cruise. We will on the cruise after yours.

Are you going on the PG? We cruised the PG last Feb, easily took a taxi from the airport to the ship. Cost about $35, and yes they accept USD!

If I remember correct the taxi was about 2000 local currency.

2000 is about $22 USD. I have never understood why some Americans are so rabid about using their own currency in foreign countries. Sure, the locals might accept your money but there is a real difference between "accept" and "give fair exchange." We convert to the local currency and just put a reference card in our wallets so we know what 1000, 2000, 5000, etc., in the local currency means in our own.

• 2 weeks later...
Because it annoys the Ottawans. That's the only reason. :D

It's the reaction of a lifetime of having our Canadian money treated like monopoly money, no doubt. :)

Seriously though, far more people use the Euro than the U.S. dollar but imagine if someone tried to use one in port in NYC. I can't imagine that would go well.

Taxi prices are double after dark, about $40 USD from the airport to the terminal.

There is an ATM machine at the airport, sometimes it's working, sometimes not. Usually the ship will exchange small quanities for you are a realistic rate.

You might also ask the taxi driver to stop on the way at a bank ATM.

we are leaving our ship the Marina on a Saturday night April 6, 2013 as soon as it clears customs, (we are to dock at 8 PM) to get to the airport, I understand from Hawaiian Airlines that it opens at 9:30 PM. Can you help us with instructions & any tips to get a taxi please. Our flight leaves at 12:30 AM Sunday morning. We are leaving on our own BEFORE all other passengers disembark the following day!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Have the concierge deck call you a taxi, let them know a day ahead. Cost of taxi after dark is double so figure $40 - $45 USD

Have your ever used Carl's Taxi? He is not responding to my e mails. He rents out by the hour per his website and we were wanted to use him to do a mini tour and stop by the supermarket from the airport.

Thanks.

Have your ever used Carl's Taxi? He is not responding to my e mails. He rents out by the hour per his website and we were wanted to use him to do a mini tour and stop by the supermarket from the airport.

Thanks.

He takes a few days to reply - I have been in communication with him and we have booked his services to go from the airport to the cruise terminal. The last time we communicated, he had 2 spots in his van.

Never heard of him ........... sorry

Thank you. Do you have any recommendations for someone else. We arriving at 6 AM and we are concerned that we will not be able to check in our luggage at the cruise port early. We were wanting to hire a taxi to pick us up around 8 AM, stop at the supermarket, perhaps visit a museum, and then drop at the cruise port around 10:30 AM. According to Carl's website he is available on a hourly basis. Do you know anyone else that might do this?

He takes a few days to reply - I have been in communication with him and we have booked his services to go from the airport to the cruise terminal. The last time we communicated, he had 2 spots in his van.

Thank you. It has been a while, I will see. I have sent two e mails. My fear is that he is busy on our and therefore is not responding.

What is your date?

I'm assuming you can't board the ship until around 3 pm. So ...........

Have you thought about renting a car for the day? You can rent a car at the airport, go on your own tour, shop and then drop off the car 2 blocks from the ship dock. If you request they will then drive you to the ship with all your bags.

I'm assuming you can't board the ship until around 3 pm. So ...........

Have you thought about renting a car for the day? You can rent a car at the airport, go on your own tour, shop and then drop off the car 2 blocks from the ship dock. If you request they will then drive you to the ship with all your bags.

The main thing for us is checking in our luggage which should be around 10:30 AM and boarding around noon. We have four people and our luggage. I will check into the rental possibility.

Thanks