Small ship Tahiti or SD Grenadines?

Such a tough choice! Both are equally challenging flights from southern California. Tahiti involves a 8 hour redeye in one direction or the other on either airline and Barbados requires multiple connections, and possibly overnights near/at airports.

So, in your opinion, fellow CCrs, which is more worth the effort? Which will leave the most lasting impression?

Costs seem similar. We have been to the eastern Caribbean twice and to Hawaii twice, but never to Tahiti. We will likely get to both Tahiti and south caribbean someday, just trying to figure out which one first.

Thanks for any inputs!

PS - No PG yet for us, Jim. Details?

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

Have not been to Tahiti but the Grenadines are just stunning! The water there is just the most beautiful blue/green. I think it is the prettiest water in the Caribbean! And Sea Dream does the Caribbean so well! I wish you well making your decision.

Ragnar, we sailed on the Paul Gauguin years ago, when it was owned by Radisson Seven Seas (before Regent). It was our first cruise and we loved both the ship and the islands - Bora Bora, Huahine, Moorea, and Taha'a. The beauty of the islands and water is not to be missed....think: Hawaii on steroids! :D...so if you don't go this time around do keep it on your bucket list.

The islands in the Grenadines as well as Granada are a lot more lush and feel less 'touristy' than some of the other parts of the Caribbean we have sailed to on SD over the years. Loved the simplicity of Bequia & Mayeau, river rafting in Granada, and the Catamaran sail to the Tobago Cays Marine Park was gorgeous!

So both destinations have their plusses with very few minuses - really depends on what you want to see. But being on the same side of the globe as you, if there is a real tipping point it would be the ease of taking that N/S red eye flight from LAX to Tahiti versus the longer trek to Barbados. Either way, you are in for a beautiful cruise and I would keep them both on your list!

Ragnar, we are very close to booking the Gauguin. The stop on the line is air. With Air France dropping the LAX/PPT flights, Air Tahiti Nui is the only real option. PG has a promotion going on that includes air (way back in the cheap seats) from LAX which would be ok except Air Tahiti Nui (ATN) has terrible reviews. Even Biz on ATN has some poor reviews and Biz costs more than the cruise.:eek: What has this to do with Sea Dream? SD would be perfect in French Polynesia. In fact, the ships have been there. As Sea Goddess, they roamed the world including FP. A great time to go PG is the first week in Dec but we have a land holiday in Maui booked that time period. Are looking at Spring and March to May is supposed to be decent weather wise but I have a knee jerk reaction to March as that was our very worst SD trip, the 30 kid trip from H*ll.:eek: It would really test Gauguin's manhood to have Mr & Mrs D as well as Mr and Mrs A onboard at the same time.:D Check out the Paul Gauguin board on CC. The feel is much the same as the SeaDream board and the reviews are mostly good (just like SeaDream).

Edited by Jim Avery

We sailed the Paul Gauguin a couple of years ago when it was no longer part of Radisson. The plus was the cabin. We had the most magnificent cabin and we loved it. It was, I believe, a Veranda Suite, but I'm not sure of the wording PG uses. But we were disappointed with much of the rest, and it doesn't compare to SD. The food in the main dining room was just OK. They also have a grill on the pooldeck, similar to what Seabourne has on their larger ships, but the comparison ended there. We thought it was just awful, like cafeteria food. Their French dining room, however, was quite good. These were our feelings, and were not the consensus of the others we met onboard, but they had not had experience with a small ship before and they loved PG. There were a lot of kids but the kids were not a problem. PG provides activities for them, and most of the time we were off of the ship anyway. I think we were at the pool only once. The snorkeling excursions were good. But DH and I decided that should we return to French Polynesia we would take an overwater bungalo at a resort on Bora Bora or Moorea, and do the excursions through the hotel. The hotels offer pretty much the same excursions that PG does. If you do go, don't waste your money on an overwater bungalow pre-cruise on Tahiti, as we did. The water there is not clear and beautiful, and you would do better in one of the regular hotel rooms and using the pool. Tahiti does not have the beautiful waters of the other islands. We flew Air Tahiti Nui in business class and it was fine. We did not book it in advance, because it cost more than the cruise. But we made sure that we were the first in line checking in at the airport and upgraded then for a reasonable price. Of course there were no guarantees that this plan would be successful, but it worked for us.

We sailed the Paul Gauguin a couple of years ago when it was no longer part of Radisson. The plus was the cabin. We had the most magnificent cabin and we loved it. It was, I believe, a Veranda Suite, but I'm not sure of the wording PG uses. But we were disappointed with much of the rest, and it doesn't compare to SD. The food in the main dining room was just OK. They also have a grill on the pooldeck, similar to what Seabourne has on their larger ships, but the comparison ended there. We thought it was just awful, like cafeteria food. Their French dining room, however, was quite good. These were our feelings, and were not the consensus of the others we met onboard, but they had not had experience with a small ship before and they loved PG. There were a lot of kids but the kids were not a problem. PG provides activities for them, and most of the time we were off of the ship anyway. I think we were at the pool only once. The snorkeling excursions were good. But DH and I decided that should we return to French Polynesia we would take an overwater bungalo at a resort on Bora Bora or Moorea, and do the excursions through the hotel. The hotels offer pretty much the same excursions that PG does. If you do go, don't waste your money on an overwater bungalow pre-cruise on Tahiti, as we did. The water there is not clear and beautiful, and you would do better in one of the regular hotel rooms and using the pool. Tahiti does not have the beautiful waters of the other islands. We flew Air Tahiti Nui in business class and it was fine. We did not book it in advance, because it cost more than the cruise. But we made sure that we were the first in line checking in at the airport and upgraded then for a reasonable price. Of course there were no guarantees that this plan would be successful, but it worked for us.

Hi Zimmy. What time of year were you on PG? Thanks. J.

Hi Zimmy. What time of year were you on PG? Thanks. J.

Christmas. The weather was great with the exception of one day if rain and a few occasional showers which didn't impact us much.

When we were on the captain was Remy Erickson who is now on SDI.

Christmas. The weather was great with the exception of one day if rain and a few occasional showers which didn't impact us much.

When we were on the captain was Remy Erickson who is now on SDI.

We sailed with Captain Eriksen in Costa Rica. PG's loss is SD's gain. He is tops!:D

Yikes, didn't know Air France pulled out. Last I looked they still had flights, on a schedule opposite of ATN.

I wonder if Windstar, which is back in Tahiti with one of their smaller sailing ships, would offer a more SD-esque experience? 150 pax I believe. Has a watersports platform and emphasizes diving/snorkeling.

Yikes, didn't know Air France pulled out. Last I looked they still had flights, on a schedule opposite of ATN.

I wonder if Windstar, which is back in Tahiti with one of their smaller sailing ships, would offer a more SD-esque experience? 150 pax I believe. Has a watersports platform and emphasizes diving/snorkeling.

Supposedly it is this Fall or Winter when they end service. There was a thread where it was mentioned over at PG. Not a fan of the motorsailor type ships.:eek:

Hawaiian Air flys between Honolulu and Tahiti on Saturdays, not sure how that would line up with PG. Downside is you may have to spend some time in Hawaii :D

Yes, their scheduling gets you in too late or 2 days early. Or, like you say, stay in Hawaii a day or so. Either way, it adds to the bottom line. Let's just take your Gulfstream. We can meet you at either Scottsdale or Deer Valley Airport!:eek::D

If He-who-must-be-obeyed would lets us be away for more than two weeks, I'd do LAX to Santiago to Easter Island to Tahiti to Hawaii to LAX.

LAN has weekly flights between Santiago and Tahiti that stop on Easter Island!

If our fur baby would agree we would take one of those 28 day r/t LA cruises and just drive to it. Get that huge aft suite. The one that has a balcony larger than a SeaDream cabin. Ok, got SD into this extreme thread drift.:eek:

We are looking forward to boarding SD1 again in Barbados. However, yes it is a long flight(s) down there from Reno, our new home. Two days. We are overnighting in MIA both ways. But we are looking forward to boarding and seeing friends again...it's been way too long! Can't wait!!:D

We are looking forward to boarding SD1 again in Barbados. However, yes it is a long flight(s) down there from Reno, our new home. Two days. We are overnighting in MIA both ways. But we are looking forward to boarding and seeing friends again...it's been way too long! Can't wait!!:D

So glad to see you have a SD cruise booked! Wish we were sailing with you!

We have Tahiti on our bucket list as well but we live in NY now so the travel would be the reverse of your situation Ragnar:o

I have been to Hawaii and I think that the southern Carribean, with its volcanic islands and lush rain forests and deep blue sapphire waters, looks a lot like Hawaii.

Will be interested in your decision Ragnar!

Thanks everyone for all the inputs so far!

What about scuba diving with either choice? I recall that the PG had a pretty extensive offering, at least when it was with Regent.

How is the diving in the S. caribbean? Does SD do anything to facilitate scuba dives?

And this is very painful for ol' Ragnar to ask, but how does "shopping" compare between the two destinations?:eek:?:eek: Either have Chanel stores? Sadly, this will likely be the determining factor:p

Thanks everyone for all the inputs so far!

What about scuba diving with either choice? I recall that the PG had a pretty extensive offering, at least when it was with Regent.

How is the diving in the S. caribbean? Does SD do anything to facilitate scuba dives?

And this is very painful for ol' Ragnar to ask, but how does "shopping" compare between the two destinations?:eek:?:eek: Either have Chanel stores? Sadly, this will likely be the determining factor:p

I know from PG that, if you are certified, they offer scuba. You must have the right chops for it though (I don't). Shopping??? FP is pearls, pearls, pearls, according to DW's research.:eek: She can find a store in the middle of the desert. Bet both destinations end up costing you a bunch!:D:D

There were a lot of divers on the PG, and it appeared that they got great support from the ship. We don't dive, and did only snorkeling, but there was a lot of support for that as well. Well beyone anything you would get on SD. There are employees whose sole job it is to support the diving and snorkeling.

I will second what Jim said re shopping. No designer stores in FP, but Tahitian pearls galore. It became an obsession with me to find the perfect pearls. And prior to the trip I really didn't care about them at all. DH hated it. But I have to say that i do wear the pearls, which is more than I can say for some other of my "must have" vacation purchases.

But I have to say that i do wear the pearls, which is more than I can say for some other of my "must have" vacation purchases.

A copy of this is being placed with our passports. Zimmy's DH

And what DW said about upgrading on ATN is right. I think we paid $600 per ticket for the upgrades - way cheaper than booking them that way. But you do have to be right at the front of the line. At LAX I believe the people behind us did not get the upgrade. Going home we skipped the hotel/PG transportation to the airport and took a taxi to get in line before anybody else got there. Again, we were first in line and got the upgrades.

In these types of situations, where fully lay flat seats are not available and the flight is not 11+ hours, we just buy three max-discount coach seats. Have to call the airline and arrainge an "extra seat" so they won't try to fill it. Bonus is you don't pay head taxes on the extra seat, which can save a bit. We find that if we don't intend to sleep, this is much more cost effective than first, and gives ol' 6'4" Ragnar plenty of room to sprawl out :D. Watch out for a Ragnar hoof in the aisle! Plus all our stuff, snacks, etc. can go on the middle seat, or Mrs D can curl up against me and nap. But if we can use FF miles for first/biz we do that.

We'd done this trick on several full flights and gotten many an envious stare...

PS - if you do the extra seat trick, look on Seat Guru, etc. to make sure you are not in a row where the trays fold into the armrests! This happened to us once and it was miserable for ol' Ragnar, could not move my legs, and the idio... uh, person in front of me immediately flopped her seat back all the way. Very sad flight for poor Ragnar....

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

• 2 months later...
Ragnar, we are very close to booking the Gauguin. The stop on the line is air. With Air France dropping the LAX/PPT flights, Air Tahiti Nui is the only real option.

There's been a lot of talk of AF pulling out, but it hasn't happened yet. We flew them in September to Tahiti, and I just tried to plug in a booking for February and it appeared to be available. I suspect AF is getting a lot of pressure NOT to cancel this service. I understand it's not because it's not popular (our flights were full), but the difficulty of maintaining staff in Papeete. But with tourism flagging, this would be just another nail in the coffin. They don't fly every day, so you have to plan accordingly.

Ragnar, go to Tahiti. You won't regret it. The PG may not be SeaDream (never been), but it's a terrific experience--I just came back from my 5th visit, all on that ship. The dive team is by all accounts exemplary, and divers seem to have an especially great time on board. But do get basic certification first. And make sure to go a day or two, at least, in advance. Better yet do a three-day pre-cruise on Moorea.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

• 3 weeks later...