News: fire on Royal Princess right now - muster stations!

CaptainKevin

Just got a call from my brother aboard the Royal at Port Said, Egypt... Smoke filling cabins, everyone at muster stations. Hopefully nothing too serious.
Thanks for the update. Please let us know if you hear anything else.

Last October, we were awakened at 1:55am while on the Prinsendam by the 7 long/1 short signal. We were not required to go to muster stations and the fire was put out quickly. It was the transformer in the cooler (industrial refrigerator) in the Lido that blew. It's not just cigarettes that can cause a fire while onboard a ship.

Took a look at the bridge cam - looks like it is either dusk/dawn (not sure of the time over there) with lights showing in the distance. Hope everything is ok.

Time now is 9:19 PM. They are 7 hours ahead of EST.

I should clarify that my brother didn't call me directly... just heard the news from our mother, whom he did call.

Will let you know if he calls her again.

Hopefully it's just one of those laundry room things.

Hope so. CNN hasn't picked it up which is a good sign.

Just spoke to Princess, who sent me the official statement. It says:

"At approximately 8:10 pm local time, an engine room fire broke out aboard Royal Princess, as the ship was departing Port Said, Egypt. Fire teams have been deployed, and passengers have been mustered to their emergency stations. The ship is currently anchored off the coast of Port Said.

All passengers and crew are accounted for and there are no injuries. We will provide further information as it becomes available."

I'll let you know if we hear anything else. Good news is that it sounds like everyone is safe!

"At approximately 8:10 pm local time, an engine room fire broke out aboard Royal Princess, as the ship was departing Port Said, Egypt. Fire teams have been deployed, and passengers have been mustered to their emergency stations. The ship is currently anchored off the coast of Port Said.

All passengers and crew are accounted for and there are no injuries. We will provide further information as it becomes available."

I'll let you know if we hear anything else. Good news is that it sounds like everyone is safe!

This is why Cruise Critic is so wonderful

Hi Erica !

Thank you very much for the update. I'm happy to hear that it seems everyone is safe. Our thoughts are with everyone onboard.

This is why we all must practice the muster drill. Hopefully, none of us will ever need to use it, but if there is a problem at least we all have a clue as to what to do.

Thanks for keeping us posted!!

Terry

Archived