Istambul for a first timer.

Hello everyone.

and thank you for being so kind to post in this thread.

I know you post is going to be very useful to me and others.

I am looking for top ten things to do and do not miss (you can include food also) a good market to try a good traditional meal.

in Istanbul

Thank you all.

Hello everyone.

I am looking for top ten things to do and do not miss (you can include food also) a good market to try a good traditional meal.

in Istanbul

Thank you all.

Re all your posts on the different ports...do some reading about them either on the ports board or go to the library and get some guide books...going as a first timer any homework you do will be of great value to you.

Hello everyone.

in Istanbul

Thank you all.

We did four days of pre-cruise in Istanbul September 2013.

I recommend you stay in a hotel close to the old area. We stayed at the Hotel Lausos.

Hotel Lausos Istanbul

Binbirdirek mah.Klodfarer cad.no 33

Istanbul Old City Sultanahmet / Turkey

0090 212 6380707

We paid about 90 euros per night. The rooms were small, but nice. The hotel is less than two blocks from the Hippodrome and near great restaurants.

The people at the hotel were very nice. We organized a coffee for many cruisers that stayed there pre-cruise and the hotel had a tea with nice appetizers at no cost.

My review goes over the key highlights, but I will reiterate.

I would start with the Hippodrome, Blue Mosque then move to Hagia Sophia, then the Basilica Cistern, then Topkapi, with the Harem.

Also, the Archaeological Museum is wonderful.

Take in the Grand Bazaar and then the Spice Bazaar. A bit out of the way, try to see the Chora church, which is north of the old city, near the old walls, which are a site in themselves. You would need to take a taxi there, but it is worth the trip.

I also went to see Taksim Square in the newer part of the city. It was interesting, but not as much as the other items that I listed.

We loved Istanbul. The people are friendly (just say no to the carpet merchants), the food is excellent.

Also, we are cat lovers and say cats everywhere in the city. The city actually takes care of the cats with small shelters for them in parks. I will bet there are fee rodents in that city.

Here is my review

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=228545

If you are staying overnight, I can recommend the Hotel Erboy, which is very nice, affordable and is two blocks from a tram stop, and a short walk to Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sofia, Blue Mosque, the Spice Bazaar. They have an excellent restaurant and a great terrace, which offers wonderful views of the golden horn and Topkapi palace.

A word about restaurants, always ask if service is included (unless it says something in the menu). Many places add 10% after the total. Many of the Kebap houses seem cheap but the cost can build up quickly with small extra charges, so make sure you keep track and know how much everything is.

One sight not yet mentioned is Galata Tower. A bit pricey (I think about 25 lira or more), but the views are spectacular and great for panorama photos.

We got a lot of info from http://www.lonelyplanet.com/turkey/istanbul

They have a small guide book which is easy to find and very useful.

You should enjoy Istanbul. The people are very friendly and the city is amazing.

My top ten: Hagia Sofia, Topkapi Palace, including Harem, Blue Mosque, Basilica Cisterns, Hippodrome, Mosaics Museum, Chora Church, Spice Bazaar, and 90-minute Bosphorus cruise with Turyol boats from Eminonu pier by the Galata Bridge.

As Kirk mentioned in his post, the Rick Steves' Istanbul guidebook, actually written by two local guides, would help you in planning your time. It has excellent walking tours and site tours.

My group of 12 are so excited to be in Istanbul for two days in May 2015 from the Celebrity Equinox. We would be interested in the evening cruise on the Bosporus. Celebrity has an evening cruise for $138. You did mention a ferry from near the Galata Tower but I am concerned on how to move 12 people from the ship to the ferry and back. There are also Bosporus cruises that pick up at the cruise ship, have dinner and a show and then take you back. It appears that there are other people on the boat. I also noted that one could charter a yacht for 12 people and have the cruise and dinner with transportation and your own crew which seems very different. I would appreciate any information regarding the Bosporus evening cruise.

Janice

We decided not to take a Bosporus cruise, since our ship, Celebrity Constellation transited the Bosporus in its way into the Black Sea.

Here is some information that I found regarding such cruises. Prices are a lot cheaper than Celebrity's. One cruise for 1.5 hours costs 12 TL. I suspect Celebrity's price includes a tour guide with a meal???

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/Istanbul/Sights/Bosphorus/turyol.html

A private boat owners' cooperative named TurYol operates frequent cross-Bosphorus and Bosphorus cruise routes in Istanbul, starting from ferry docks at both ends of the Galata Bridge, on the west (Golden Horn) side of the bridge.

TurYol boats depart more frequently than traditional Şehir Hatları Bosphorus cruise ferries. The 1.5-hour TurYol cruise costs TL12, and brings you right back to the Galata Bridge. (The traditional ferry makes several dock stops along its route, and takes 6 hours for the round-trip voyage.)

Here is the normal TurYol schedule of summer departures (subject to change!)

Monday-Friday

Saturday

Sunday

12:00 noon

13:00 (1 pm)

14:00 (2 pm)

15:00 (3 pm)

16:00 (4 pm)

17:00 (5 pm)

18:00 (6 pm)

12:00 noon

17:00 (5 pm)

18:00 (6 pm)

19:00 (7 pm)

11:45 am

12:30 pm

13:30 (1:30 pm)

14:30 (2:30 pm)

15:30 (3:30 pm)

16:45 (4:45 pm)

17:30 (5:30 pm)

18:30 (6:30 pm)

19:30 (7:30 pm)

TurYol's boats are more modern than the traditional ferries, and TurYol captains say "We stay close to the shore so you can see things better."

Some people prefer the Şehir Hatları ferries because of their history. Both types of boats and cruises are good—it depends what you want.

To take a TurYol cruise, go to Eminönü, make your way to the west (inland) side of the Galata Bridge on the south shore of the Golden Horn, and look for the cluster of TurYol boats, as well as the ticket booth shown in the photo on the right side of this page (although in winter, when cruise service depends on good weather, tickets may be sold in the larger building to the left.) More...

We just returned from Istanbul this week. We rented an apartment on airbnb from "Gulnur" aka "Aslan Apartments" which was nice. We had a kitchen, which allowed me to feed my DD with food allergies, we were just one and a half cable car stops away from Sultanumet square and all those attractions.

I highly recommend either the Rick Steves book or the Lonely Planet book.

We found the cable car easy to use, prices lower than home in the Midwest US in many ways.

Be sure to use an ATM to get out Turkish Lira for admission into many of the sights. In some places, they ask for Euros, so it would be good to have a couple of hundred Euro or USD as well. Our transport wanted Euros rather than TL for payment.

• 1 month later...
Hello everyone.

in Istanbul

Thank you all.

If you are as lazy as me reading books this are top things. But in Istanbul there is always something new to discover:

Topkapi Palace (very crowded)

Archeological Museum (near the palace)

Hagia Sophia

Yerebatan Cisterm

Hippodrome (German Fountain, Teodoioum & Serpent Columns & Constantine Obelisk)

BLUE MOSQUE

Gran Bazar

Sulymaniye Mosque

Close to Galata Bridge:

Yuni Mosque (New Mosque)

Misir Carsisi (Egyptian Market)

New European side:

Taksim Square

Istiklal Avenue

Cukurkuma Neighborhood

Ayia Trias Church

Pera Palace Hotel (where Agatha Christie write Orient Express)

Galata Tower

Far from the city center

St Savior of Chora

Theodosian Walls

Cafe Pierre Loti

Fener (greek neighborhood):

ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople

Fethiye Museum

Rum Lisesi

St Mary of the Mongols

St Stephen Bulgarian Church

Fethiye Museum

Balat (jew neighborhood):

Ahrida sinagogue

Zeyrek neighborhood:

Ottoman Houses

Zeyrek Mosque

Ortakoy

Bosphorous Cruise, etc, etc, etc

It is endless.

If you have the time go to Cappadocia and Pamukkale

Bon Voyage

• 1 month later...
If you are as lazy as me reading books this are top things. But in Istanbul there is always something new to discover:

Topkapi Palace (very crowded)

Archeological Museum (near the palace)

Hagia Sophia

Yerebatan Cisterm

Hippodrome (German Fountain, Teodoioum & Serpent Columns & Constantine Obelisk)

BLUE MOSQUE

Gran Bazar

Sulymaniye Mosque

Close to Galata Bridge:

Yuni Mosque (New Mosque)

Misir Carsisi (Egyptian Market)

New European side:

Taksim Square

Istiklal Avenue

Cukurkuma Neighborhood

Ayia Trias Church

Pera Palace Hotel (where Agatha Christie write Orient Express)

Galata Tower

Far from the city center

St Savior of Chora

Theodosian Walls

Cafe Pierre Loti

Fener (greek neighborhood):

ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople

Fethiye Museum

Rum Lisesi

St Mary of the Mongols

St Stephen Bulgarian Church

Fethiye Museum

Balat (jew neighborhood):

Ahrida sinagogue

Zeyrek neighborhood:

Ottoman Houses

Zeyrek Mosque

Ortakoy

Bosphorous Cruise, etc, etc, etc

It is endless.

If you have the time go to Cappadocia and Pamukkale

Bon Voyage

great post very usefull.

thanks you very much!!!

• 1 month later...

We liked these restaurants, a block from the Hippodrome.

Erhan Restaurant

Binbirdirek Mahallesi Clodfarer Caddesi 40/10, Istanbul, Turkey

Price range: $14 - $22

Cuisines: Turkish

Beydagi Bufe KLODFARER Cad. No@ 41-3, Istanbul, Turkey

Rast Restaurant & Cafe Binbirdirek Mh. Klodfarer Cd. No:6, Istanbul 34122, Turkey Price range: $10 - $40

what do you suggest about where to eat traditional food in Istanbul?

One of best meals I ever had was at Asitane across from Chora Church. Very unusual Ottoman cuisine, not your mothers kebab. It is not cheap, but much less than US restaurants of the same caliber. Be sure and visit the Chora Church when you are there.

It is far from Sultanhamet so you will need to take a taxi but totally worth it. Check the reviews.

This is gourmet Turkish Ottoman cuisine at its best.

We also took a ferry from Emininou Pier to Kadikoy on the Asian side. less than $1.00 each way and the most amazing views of the three mosques and the spice market at the pier. Great eating on the other side. No need to spend alot of money and time on a Bosphorus cruise.

And dont forget the Dolmabache Palace. I am not a lover of palaces but this one is amazing and should not be missed. Much better than Topkapi, IMO as everything inside is original.

I hope you have alot of time planned in Istanbul. I was there a week and didn't see half of what I wanted. It is the most amazing city anywhere.

Regarding the cats, if you are a cat lover you will think you died and went to heaven. And they are all clean and well taken care of. I took over 100 photos of the cats alone, many on the rainbow steps near the cruise pier. Wonderful setting...

One of best meals I ever had was at Asitane across from Chora Church. Very unusual Ottoman cuisine, not your mothers kebab. It is not cheap, but much less than US restaurants of the same caliber. Be sure and visit the Chora Church when you are there.

It is far from Sultanhamet so you will need to take a taxi but totally worth it. Check the reviews.

This is gourmet Turkish Ottoman cuisine at its best.

We also took a ferry from Emininou Pier to Kadikoy on the Asian side. less than $1.00 each way and the most amazing views of the three mosques and the spice market at the pier. Great eating on the other side. No need to spend alot of money and time on a Bosphorus cruise.

And dont forget the Dolmabache Palace. I am not a lover of palaces but this one is amazing and should not be missed. Much better than Topkapi, IMO as everything inside is original.

I hope you have alot of time planned in Istanbul. I was there a week and didn't see half of what I wanted. It is the most amazing city anywhere.

Regarding the cats, if you are a cat lover you will think you died and went to heaven. And they are all clean and well taken care of. I took over 100 photos of the cats alone, many on the rainbow steps near the cruise pier. Wonderful setting...

We are cat people and loved the cats of Istanbul. In the parks, there are cat shelters and apparently, they are fed. Someone told us the Government has a role there.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is great; thanks to all of you for posting your recommendations.

As a first timer how many days pre-cruise do you recommend? Would two full days be adequate?

Spending two days in Istanbul is like spending 30minutes in London or Paris, so the answer to your question is an unequivocal NO. I was recently in Istanbul for the second time. The first time was many years ago, so I guess that doesnt count. I was sightseeing from morning until night every day for 6 1/2 days and still missed many important things I did not have time for. Plus, for the first time ever, not much time for shopping or wandering around, two things I really enjoy.

I plan to return in the next year or two to stay for a longer visit so I can see the city in depth the way I want. But you will have to decide for yourself. Also, be aware that many things are closed on different days and very crowded when cruise ships come in, so you need to account for that. I would say at least a week there would get you started.:)

I would say at least a week there would get you started.:)

Oh how I wish I had a week extra. Work and available vacation days won't allow us to stay that long plus we have a post-cruise stay in Rome too. One of these days we'll have endless time and hopefully dollars to pad a cruise on either end like this, so until then we'll have to keep it to a few days pre and post cruise. Hopefully we'll be able to see some highlights - enough in two to three days and save the rest for another visit.

• 1 month later...

Personally, I wasn't a big fan of Istanbul, Turkey. We visited this port for an overnight call. I was glad it was an overnight call, that gave us a bit more time. But I was happy just to see the major sites and then set sail again.

Istanbul felt like a massive bazaar.

I think the Blue Mosque is a must-see. Here was the video I made.

[YOUTUBE]uN2fMBjKFuo[/YOUTUBE]

I didn't have time for 10 big things, just a bare 24 hours in which I saw these

[YOUTUBE]if0ohSTZorQ[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]9KAZZh8GPRo[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]o3J7NtagxkU[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]omZsa5wW0UI[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]fQwXt6a9ceM[/YOUTUBE]

We docked at 4 pm so I went to the Topkapi Palace that day and the others the next. All the best, Tony