Gift ideas from Turkey?

We have 4 ports in Turkey - Istanbul, Marmaris, Antalya, & Kusadasi. I have read the stories about the beautiful rugs - not sure we are going that route. And we will be going to the bazaar in Istanbul for some spices - but are there additional recommendations for unique, nice gifts from Turkey?

Thank you...

I'm not that much of a shopper, but have made an exception from time to time in Turkey because they have such unique things.

In Istanbul, if you are looking for good quality things, I highly recommend the Arasta bazaar (if you are facing the Blue Mosque, it runs along the left-hand side on a street that's slightly lower). Much better things than you'll find in the Grand Bazaar, although the latter does have a few nice shops (but they can take a while to locate amongst all the "made in China" junk).

Some things I've purchased there are a purse made from pieces of old kelim carpets, tribal jewelry, and beautiful hand-made suzani goods (pillow covers, etc).

Everywhere you look in Turkey there are colorful ceramics in every price range and size. You can get small souvenirs very inexpensively, but they are breakable. I purchased (when on a land trip) a beautiful antique Iznik handpainted tile. It's not the kind of thing they usually show tourists, you have to go to one of the good ceramics stores and ask. Another time I bought a VERY large charger and carted it home only to have it break at my home airport when someone at the luggage pickeup slammed their bag into it. (Never again!)

Antalya also has some nice shopping in the old town area near the old Ottoman walls. They also have nice suzani goods. Although as suzani has gotten more popular recently, prices have gone up and like rugs, they will try to pass off new work as old....

By the way, if you are in Antalya and your tour doesn't take you there, do make your way to their small but really nice archaeological museum. It's new, well laid out, and has some nice things. Probably would only take most folks an hour -- but it's a little off the beaten path from downtown where the buses drop you. (The port is a LONG way from town, by the way -- about 30 minutes. My ship has always run free shuttles, but some others may charge.)

Another recommendation, if you are in the old town area near the water in Antalya -- there are a couple of hotels and restaurants built into the old walls with views onto the harbor. I have twice eaten lunch at one of these restaurants (attached to a hotel) and it was a great experience. If you are interested I can try to find the name in my notes.

Cruisemom42 you are always so helpful. Thank you. I will look for that bazaar in Istanbul.

Antalya is still in the air for us as there are no shuttle busses being provided, only a long tour that we are not interested in doing. I understand that there are cabs, which we may consider - but actually toying with just relaxing on ship - your insights regarding Antalya (old town) would be helpful.

Thanks again!!!

Btw - just looked up the suzani work and it will be on my radar!

We are not at all interested in the 'made in China' tourist traps either, so thanks for that mention. We don't dedicate our time to shopping for sure, but picking up unique, often handmade pieces are the lookouts we have - including authentic masks. So thank you again!

Antalya is still in the air for us as there are no shuttle busses being provided, only a long tour that we are not interested in doing. I understand that there are cabs, which we may consider - but actually toying with just relaxing on ship - your insights regarding Antalya (old town) would be helpful.

Thanks again!!!

Antalya is a lovely city and one of my favorite places in Turkey (and that's saying something, because normally I reserve that tier for places with extensive Roman ruins....:D).

You can play it by ear and have a day onboard ship if you like, but given what you've posted about your touring style, I do think you'd enjoy getting a cab to Antalya and just walking around the old town. It's lovely -- not like Kusadasi (which is a city mostly manufactured just for tourists), but a real, old waterfront city.

What I'd recommend -- get a taxi to drop you at the museum (it's on the way into town) and spend an hour or so there. Then either get a local bus or taxi (or a long walk?) into the old town. It's very picturesque -- everything from old mosques to Ottoman walls to Roman arches. Walk around, shop a little, enjoy lunch as I posted above (or at least get a drink at the large waterfront bar/restaurant right at the marina and watch the local boat traffic).

Some people I know did a short (1 or 2 hour?) boat tour on the boats departing regularly from the marina area, but I think it's probably more fun to watch them from land than the other way around....

BTW, there is absolutely nothing in the port area -- NOT charming and no views. Just very industrial.

(I'm guessing the long excursion is to Perge and Aspendos?)

I purchased my favorite pair of gold earrings, in the Greek-key style, on my first visit to Kusadasi in 2008 but not much else. I regretted not purchasing more items and made up for it on my return trip last May.

I love Turkish ceramics, so in addition to some ceramic plates I purchased in Istanbul, I commissioned a beautiful large ceramic plate, a copy of the one of the most famous Iznik patterned plates on display at the Istanbul Archeological Museum, from a well-known pottery shop in Selcuk in late May. It was handmade for me in the size and pattern I requested in a couple of months and now is in pride of place in my home.

I also purchased a set of six Turkish tea glasses and matching saucers in Istanbul, very inexpensive.

Yes, this time I went a bit overboard on my commissioned piece plus a large Akrotiri wall painting from Santorini. :)

Edited by CintiPam

I would love to go back to Antayla. There is lots to see there and in the area. Do not miss it. I organized a private tour for a group of us to see the Roman ruins at Perge and the ancient theatre at Aspendos. We also had time to wander in the old town and could have shopped but we had already bought wonderful things (ceramics, jewelery, beaded evening bags, etc.) in Istanbul, Ephesus, Bodrum and Fethiye.

Ok, I am sold on Antalya! I am sure we can find another couple to share a cab - or go on our own to old town. I read that Perge and Aspendos is a 2 hr drive each way......

I can imagine that the commissioned ceramic was beautiful - I enjoy unique ceramics, beaded purses, and all the other great suggestions. Sounds like my extra bag may come in handy!

Oh yeah, shopping in Turkey is fun !!!!

For gifts you could pick up some pillow covers (flat and take up no room) I bought a really nice one that has the sultans robe etc embroidered on it. They have them in all shapes, colors etc…… the tea sets are adorable and come packed for travel in a box. But they can take up some room.

Turkish delight - I'll pass on it. Didn't care for it at all !

As I posted on your other post…… the Kilem rug purses are really nice ! EAch unique. They can run into some money tho.

See the other post for more stuff I have bought. And we have been to all 3 bazaars…… Grand, Arasta and Spice. I like the first 2 as I got much better prices on spices in Egypt !!!!!

I 'goggled' Kilem' and noticed that there are all prices, styles, sizes. How do you know which ones SHOULD run into money.....nice to know about Egypt spices. I have a few on my list - saffron being one of them. Thanks again!

You need to keep researching them online…… notice which designs are more. As for quality, check the purse out completely. Inside and out. Stitching etc. Most are trimmed in leather - make sure it is done nicely. Also the actual kilim fabric can be of varying quality. These are pieces of old rugs….. some are in better shape than others and some look like brand new fabric so to speak.

The older the rug but still in quality condition will be more.

I bought saffron strands and powder among others…. the whole vanilla beans were nice too. Our guide took us to the spice vendor he buys spices from for his mother in the Luxor bazaar.

Tip: in Antalya there is a bazar area with the normal tourist fare: fakes watches and T-shirts, etc. If you walk a little away from the old harbor, past the big bus parking, that is where the "normal" shopping street is where the Turks shop themselves. I am struggling to recall the street name. You get better quality at cheaper prices, especially if buying herbs and turkish delight. In those stores, they give you time to browse, most articles have an offical printed price tag on them, and you do not get offered tea and the vendors' whole life story. The haggling part is sometimes fun, but sometimes you just want to have a look without being hounded around the shop. We have been in Turkey so many times, and last year after 2 weeks land tour in Turkey we were a bit fed up with the "yes please, my friend, best price, my friend, yes please" all the time. Also, there is a small airconditioned mall with western and turkish brands. Western brands cost the same as to what we are used to.

Make sure not to miss out on the old town area, shopping is fun, but the small winding streets are so nice.

I bought Turkish Delight candy and brought it back as souvenirs. Not expensive, easy to pack and very tasty! My brothers loved it.

Make sure you go into a shop where they have all the flavours layed out fresh, and where you can pick and mix-and-match. If you buy the wrapped up boxes, make sure they are not ancient. The pre-packed boxes can be a bit tough to chew sometimes if they have been lying around for ages. In the area where the "normal" shops are, there are a few really good bakeries and delicatesse shops where they sell the real fresh Lokum (Turkish name for Turkish delight).

I read that Perge and Aspendos is a 2 hr drive each way......

The port is on the way to Kemer to the West, Aspendos and Perge are on the way to Manavgat to the East. You have to go through Antalya to get there. Antalya is a big sprawling city of 1.5 millions inhabitants, and especially during rush-hour the roads are jam packed. However, if you are interested in that sort of thing, the Roman theater in Aspendos is the best preserved in the world.

Ok, I am sold on Antalya! I am sure we can find another couple to share a cab - or go on our own to old town. I read that Perge and Aspendos is a 2 hr drive each way......

I can imagine that the commissioned ceramic was beautiful - I enjoy unique ceramics, beaded purses, and all the other great suggestions. Sounds like my extra bag may come in handy!

Hi there.. I am sure we will meet on the cruise but we (and probably others) would be happy to share a cab in to town with you - cabin 747/Ryndam Athens to Tampa

I bought two sterling silver puzzle rings, about $30 each, at a small jewelry shop next to the port in Kusadasi. They are beautiful but DON'T undo them! I've been trying to get them back together for a few years.

Hmm not sure if you have the classic 4 band Turkish one or not……but if you do try this

http://www.ehow.com/how_4596068_puzzle-ring-instructions.html

or: do a google search for puzzle ring instructions - you will be amazed at what pops up. There are instructions for a lot of different puzzle rings !!