I found the good luck coins on the Legend!!

MSRussell

I asked the Captain last week when I was cruising about the coins. He said that he knew about the tradition, but didn't know where they were. The Maitre D said it was under the hull.

I was satisfied, but the Captain went one step further. While I was dining, an official looking man came over and asked for my name and Stateroom number. I thought I was going to the 'naughty room', so I asked why. He said the Captain was sending an officer to take me to see the coins.

The next day, I was taken to a box that is welded on the outside of the ship, and there they were.

On the Legend, the coins are up the ladder from the 10th deck, and right above the mini golf course. There is a dodgeball court right next to it, with netting all around.

When I cruise in November on the Destiny, I'm going to look for them there.

Melanie

It is a maritime superstition that Every ship that is built, no matter what kind has the coin welded before the ship is completely built. It appeases the Gods, and creates good luck.

I don't believe that they are moved around.

The legend was Fabulous....you will lOVE it.

Melanie

Yes, apparently all of the Carnival Cruise Ships have a "lucky coin" which is in a small box which is welded shut somewhere on the ship itself.

Does anyone know where the one on the Carnival Ecstacy is located?

Look at the base of the mast, right by the jogging track.

This tradition goes back to at least Roman or Greek times. Traditionally, the coins were placed under the main mast, before it was stepped. That may be why the Maitre d' thought that they were in the bottom of the hull.

Now days, the masts aren't quite the same. I've seen the coins in a display case welded to the base of the mast on the top observation deck. I don't remember what ship it was on.

Paul

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived