Half day in Tortola review

sebas030

We sailed to Tortola last week,

Last time in the Caribbean we stopped in Samana and we had a blast, this time Tortola took it's place and I have to say we were not that happy about it...

We were so wrong ! I still love my stop in Samana and would sail there anytime, but I also, surprisingly, loved our short stay in Tortola.

We were the only ship in port that day, we docked and were cleared to exit the ship around 7am but we only left the ship at 8am. We had nothing planned and we were thinking about getting a cab to tour the Island.

Once you find the port exit...sounds idiot but since the port is still under construction, it is not that obvious where you have to go to get out. So, as soon as you exit ( in a parking lot ) you have many many choices of cabs and tours. There is a dispatcher that welcomes you, if you are interested in an Island tour in one of the open-air taxis, she will direct you in the first one available.

Since that's what we wanted she directed us to sit in the first taxi that was there...INSIDE the cab with the driver instead of outside with the rest of the passengers...no thank you...so we were directed to the second cab in line. Very clean cab/bus/van that can hold about 20 passengers in 5 rows. It was the nicest looking van, looked new, clean...looked great ! That's the one :

p><p>We made 4 or 5 stops were we could exit the bus to take pictures and get more info from our driver, an other 4 or 5 stops that we stayed in the bus and appreciated more info from our driver and plenty of photo op

The only negative thing about this tour is that they tell you there is shopping at the beach...if you consider 3 or 4 tents with cheap souvenir things to sell a shopping experience...then you are in luck !!! if not...well you will have about 30 minutes to shop once back at the pier.

What we saw of Tortola was beautiful and I recommend an Island tour in one of those bus/van/cab without hesitation !!!

Have fun !

Hello sebas030, and thank you for your report! That was a nice long tour and it's great to read that someone else finds Tortola a beautiful island!

Most tours are $20 - 25pp, what did you pay for that one?

It was 25$, and worth it !

• 2 weeks later...
The more I'm reading of steep inclines and narrow roads, the more I'm convinced, that I'll be hanging around the cruise port.

I have a fear of heights, but want to enjoy a beach day in Tortola. :(

Thank you for your review. :)

Hanging at the port would be a real shame...

I and many others have a fear of heights (very natural!) but that really doesn't come into play here for most folks. You are riding with 15 - 25 other passengers and there are some steeper spots but nothing to be concerned about, and there are switchbacks to minimize the steepness when going over the hill. Just enjoy the gorgeous views and then the beach. Thousands of people do this every week.

If you're just unable to embrace that you don't want to embark on a day where you will be terrified. You can taxi to Long Bay (West End), that's mostly a flat coastal road with a smaller hill going over Zion Hill Road. You can find more on that beach just by using the search function. Nice beach with amenities.

Enjoy beautiful Tortola!

• 1 month later...

Blue Water, based upon your remarks, I decided to go to Cane Garden Bay.:)

You're right, I'll just sit in the middle of the taxi, and brace myself.:eek:

The more I look at Tortola on Youtube, the more I want to see of this island.

The views are beautiful.

Thanks so much for your input.:D

• 3 weeks later...

Tortula recently opened to cruise ships. There are a few new jewelry and souvenir shops near the dock with signs for two restaurants coming soon. A walk into town reveals a few more shops.

A 25 min taxi drive from the dock, Cane Garden Bay beach has a picturesque horseshoe location, with a great view of several nearby isles. The Atlantic Ocean water temperature felt like the upper 70's - very refreshing. The water was not clear and left a sticky feeling on the skin. Cane Garden Bay has beautiful sand that did not get hot. Small boats moored offshore. There are several bars on the beach where rum drinks were served in coconuts. An Ice-cream stand and souvenir stands line the entrance where island music plays all day long. Beach front stands offer rentals of chairs ($5), umbrellas ($5), air floats, paddle boards, & small paddle boats. Two cruise liners were in port & all chairs were rented by 11am. The tables & chairs near one bar were grabbed by late arrivals. There were no signs that they were for customer use and servers did not ask the grabbers to give them up to customers. There is an easy attitude. An attendant goes chair to chair collecting refuse. The police station is 1 block away, so they patrol the taxi area.

We enjoyed lunch on the beach front veranda at Myett's Garden Grille overlooking the beach, which served an excellent Cuban Sandwich with wonderfully seasoned, freshly cooked meats.

Tortula recently opened to cruise ships.

Sorry but not so. Tortola has taken cruise ships for years. Cruise ships first came to the BVI in 1986 and the pier was constructed in 1994. What is recent is the extension of the pier and ability to take additional ships. There were multiple ships visiting when we first stayed on the island in the early 2000's.

The OP may have just been referring to the new dock area since it was under construction for some time and is now open. Either way glad you enjoyed your day, Myett's does serve great sandwiches. When we stay there we like Tony's next door (formerly cousin Stanley's Famous Welcome Bar) for their cheeseburger in paradise and fish tacos...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, was your island tour just hilly or bumpy? We are going to be in Tortola in a few weeks. I am 4 weeks post double mastectomy. I can handle steep hills, but not bumpy! I would love to see the island. But if it is too bumpy, I would be just as happy going to one of the beaches for a relaxing day!

Thank you

Lauri

So, was your island tour just hilly or bumpy? We are going to be in Tortola in a few weeks. I am 4 weeks post double mastectomy. I can handle steep hills, but not bumpy! I would love to see the island. But if it is too bumpy, I would be just as happy going to one of the beaches for a relaxing day!

Thank you

Lauri

Hi Lauri,

It was hilly...very hilly...steep but not bumpy...

Honestly I don't remember hitting any bumps...

You turn left and right and up and down but not a bumpy ride at all.

The views the island offers are spectacular !!!

Have fun !!

Get well soon,

Hi Lauri,

It was hilly...very hilly...steep but not bumpy...

Honestly I don't remember hitting any bumps...

You turn left and right and up and down but not a bumpy ride at all.

The views the island offers are spectacular !!!

Have fun !!

Get well soon,

Thank you for your quick response! This may be a great option for us then.

How do I know your screen name so well? Were we on a cruise together at one point and then we cancelled or are you on the Earth Fashion Blog that Anita started? Very, very familiar...

Lauri

Thank you

Lauri

Hi Lauri,

The primary roads on Tortola that you would be on are actually in pretty good shape and the only issue for most people is the steepness of the roads going over the spine of the island as sebas030 mentioned. With the safari taxis you can experience some bouncing and weaving as you climb through the switchbacks but that shouldn't bother you.

An island tour is an excellent way to see the beauty of Tortola and very inexpensive with the tours offered at the dock.

If you decide a nice relaxing beach day with no crowds is for you, a taxi to Long Bay (West End) is a nice flat coastal ride with a small hill going over Zion Hill Rd. The Long Bay Resort rents lounges for $5 and there is a restaurant and restrooms. Nice long picture postcard walking beach with pelicans diving and pretty island views.

Edited by blue_water

Hi Lauri,

The primary roads on Tortola that you would be on are actually in pretty good shape and the only issue for most people is the steepness of the roads going over the spine of the island as sebas030 mentioned. With the safari taxis you can experience some bouncing and weaving as you climb through the switchbacks but that shouldn't bother you.

An island tour is an excellent way to see the beauty of Tortola and very inexpensive with the tours offered at the dock.

If you decide a nice relaxing beach day with no crowds is for you, a taxi to Long Bay (West End) is a nice flat coastal ride with a small hill going over Zion Hill Rd. The Long Bay Resort rents lounges for $5 and there is a restaurant and restrooms. Nice long picture postcard walking beach with pelicans diving and pretty island views.

Thanks for the information, Blue Water! Seems like you are a wealth of knowledge of the entire Caribbean! THank you! It sounds like the island is worth seeing and we could possibly could fit an island tour and a beach stop during our time! I will have to google Long Bay Resort.

Thanks again,

lauri

• 3 weeks later...

I will be at this place next week.

Is there any place I can safety walk up to a hill (like a trail) and see the surroundings from the pier?

So this island is hilly like SFO?

Edited by chong67

Tortola is an island formed by volcanic activity, and yes, quite steep in many areas. Wouldn't compare it to SFO since there are sidewalks lining the streets there. The roads are winding and steep as mentioned, and traffic cannot see you as they come around the curves and switchbacks.

There is no safe road to walk up the mountain, you'd be taking a chance in doing that. Better off having a taxi drop you at the Sage Mountain National Park.

This site has some info and a trail map -

http://reservationsbvi.com/Parks/sage.html

• 2 months later...

So then if you would want just an island tour for our first visit here in Feb 2017...best recommendation is just wait until I get there and off the ship will find them. Instead of booking with a certain tour agent ahead of time. I am planner...and have my brother, his wife and teenage daughter going with us so will be 5 of us! Thank you!

So then if you would want just an island tour for our first visit here in Feb 2017...best recommendation is just wait until I get there and off the ship will find them. Instead of booking with a certain tour agent ahead of time. I am planner...and have my brother, his wife and teenage daughter going with us so will be 5 of us! Thank you!

I am a planner as well...but I was very pleased with my "spur of the moment thing " on my first visit there.

Next time in Tortola I will do the same thing; walk off the ship to the parking lot, choose a tour, talk to the person managing the tours and have a seat in the van indicated...easy and worry-less !!!

I WILL be back in Tortola...it was beautiful !!!

Have fun !!!

I am a planner as well...but I was very pleased with my "spur of the moment thing " on my first visit there.

Next time in Tortola I will do the same thing; walk off the ship to the parking lot, choose a tour, talk to the person managing the tours and have a seat in the van indicated...easy and worry-less !!!

I WILL be back in Tortola...it was beautiful !!!

Have fun !!!

Thank you, so you don't have to worry about the tour guides that you end up with then. So what did they take you to see and how long would you say your tour was? Thank you once again.:)