Tortola Destination Info from Cruise Critic

LauraS

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My husband will be diving in Tortola (long-held wish to dive the wreck of the Rhone), so I will be looking for something I can safely do alone. Not having been to Tortola before, does anyone have any suggestions about that? I could do a ship's excursion, but would I be safe hiring a taxi or....? Anyone done "stuff" alone? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Oceanlvr, When will you be in Tortola? We are a party of 6 going there on May 8th. Let me know, you can certainly join us on our snorkeliing excursion. (we are booked through Carnival) TRESE

• 2 weeks later...

Trese - thanks for the kind offer. We are back from our trip. As it turned out we had to tender into the port which delayed us and my DH was unable to do his planned dive. But we joined a group of other people and took a taxi over to Cane Garden Bay. The snorkeling was mixed. We saw huge schools of teeny fish, a couple of schools of larger fish and really not much else. Many diving pelicans though which was neat to watch as they were close enough to us to be visible under the water. However, other people from our taxi ride and on the same beach, saw a tarpon that was larger than they were and one saw a nurse shark.

Other CCrs had described CGB as being "some of the best" snorkeling they had experienced but that was not our experience.

On the other hand, other pax went to Brewers Bay and found an uncrowded beach which sounded nice, and they had good snorkeling - showed us a photo of a huge tarpon. Perhaps it was the same one from CGB!

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone taken this ship excursion. It is a little pricey.

You get to swim with the dophins for 20-30 minutes.

Do they get to pull you with thier fins or do you get be pushed?

Thanks for any input.

Jack

• 3 months later...

Hi Jack, I am coming to this same "discussion" for the same answers. I will be in Tortola on March 2008 and found myself looking at the same excursion. The best thing to do is check out their website - which is where I found the most information. It's www.dolphindiscovery.com.

Hope I'm not too late and I hope it helps.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We are doing a 10 night on MSC Lirica in Feb08, from Ft. Lauderdale, and it also docks in TORTOLA...we are hopefully going to get to the Baths in Virgin GORDA...I have read so much on them I am really looking forward to it...that is one of the reasons we chose this cruise this time..it includes some ports we havent been to...variety for us makes it nice! I love new places!!

Carol

• 1 month later...

Other CCrs had described CGB as being "some of the best" snorkeling they had experienced but that was not our experience.

On the other hand, other pax went to Brewers Bay and found an uncrowded beach which sounded nice, and they had good snorkeling - showed us a photo of a huge tarpon. Perhaps it was the same one from CGB!

We went to Brewer's Bay back in 2003 on our first cruise - there was only a handful of people there.

• 1 month later...
We went to Brewer's Bay back in 2003 on our first cruise - there was only a handful of people there.

Brewer's bay is a quiet part of the island. Most visitor head over the ridge to Cane Garden Bay and Long Bay. Tortola does have some great beaches.

Here is good image gallery of Tortola:

http://www.paradise-islands.org/tortola.htm

and some decent maps and info

Tortola-Map1.jpg

• 1 month later...

At least, there is one date on March 28th that will visit... fyi.

I was loking for a cruise ship that goes to tortola on 2007 departing from Puerto Rico and no one do. No from Royal Caribbean or Carniva.

Why?:(

• 7 months later...

We are siously thinking of taking advantage of the NCL promotion going on and are wondering how crowded is Tortola and the Virgin Islands during February?

Our maiden cruise was wonderful even with the threat of 2 major hurricaines but as we live in upstate NY the thought of warm climates in February would be a true retreat.

Michele

Edited by m2you

• 3 months later...

My family and I are about to go on a cruise that will port in Tortola. We are looking for a beach that is nearby within walking distance if at all possible, any suggestions?

:) Jessica

Edited by Smilestr82u

Can't help with suggesting beaches although we did see several pretty ones on our tour. I highly recommend the island tour on this beautiful island and rather than purchase one from the ship, go on land where you can get one of the locals and there are many choices (the further up the street you walk the cheaper the tour suddenly becomes and $15-$20 pp is typical). This was probably the best island tour we ever took but be prepared for those twisting (putting it mildly) roads! You may want to consider this alternative and beach on one of the other islands

• 3 months later...