Hiking

timf264

My wife and I will be heading to Tortola next week aboard the NCL Escape! We live on a beach so beach'n just isn't in our best interest. We would rather escape the beach and find some area's to hike that are in a safe area. Anyone have any ideas where a good excursion would be for that!

Thanks!

My wife and I will be heading to Tortola next week aboard the NCL Escape! We live on a beach so beach'n just isn't in our best interest. We would rather escape the beach and find some area's to hike that are in a safe area. Anyone have any ideas where a good excursion would be for that!

Thanks!

If you're halfway good at map reading, and don't mind steep hills, you can just use the public roads up to Ridge Rd, Sage Mountain, etc. I don't know if Tortola has any unsafe areas, at least by US standards. No sidewalks up in the hills, but I didn't find walking that alarming.

Just grab a taxi at the dock. ALso, many offer excellent island tours and can drop you off at the park where you can safely hike there. The driver will need to return for you and you can arrange that.

Do not recommend walking any roads out of Road Town as they are VERY winding and steep with no sidewalks unless you head west along the coastal road.

Stop and ask for advice at the visitor center when you get off the ship, the ladies there are very helpful and you'll have a much better experience!

Yes the NCL Escape docks at Havensight on St Thomas and if you are fit and don't mind the heat you can walk up to Paradise Point. But would not recommend that unless you are very careful and in good shape.

Most ppl taxi or take the tram.

For great views of the Tortola bays and other islands there are many areas on the mountaintop a taxi will stop for you. We've never walked up the hill from Road Town so can't recommend any spots that way. If you decide to venture up any roads do be very careful. Locals drive fast and there are many curves and switchbacks where you would not be easily seen (there are no sidewalks on the roads going up the hill).

Yes the NCL Escape docks at Havensight on St Thomas and if you are fit and don't mind the heat you can walk up to Paradise Point. But would not recommend that unless you are very careful and in good shape.

Most ppl taxi or take the tram.

For great views of the Tortola bays and other islands there are many areas on the mountaintop a taxi will stop for you. We've never walked up the hill from Road Town so can't recommend any spots that way. If you decide to venture up any roads do be very careful. Locals drive fast and there are many curves and switchbacks where you would not be easily seen (there are no sidewalks on the roads going up the hill).

Yes, I will walk up Paradise Point. I heard its 1 mile long. Will bring umbrella and water. Is the walk on the road side or the walk is below the tramp?

I will not doing any walking uphill on Tortola.

Thanks for your info.

The walk to PP is on Long Bay Road, that will be across the street and to the right as you exit the main Havensight entrance.

As LG said you may feel safe walking up the hill out of Road Town, we've just never seen anyone walking except locals living right there. But ask at the visitors center at the pier, the ladies are very helpful and they may give you a recommendation!

Enjoy your cruise!