Freedom of the Seas Review: Feb 12-18, 2017 (Western Caribbean)

ASBJumper

Hi all,

We just got back on Saturday and I will be posting a review over the next few days. Won't be crazy detailed, but won't be just a few tidbits either.

DH & I sailed with our almost-3 yr old DD, so our thoughts/concerns/experience will be heavily influenced by that.

I don't have any pics on my work computer, though, so picture posts will have to be done in the evening.

Embarkation:

Well, there's no nice way to put it, but... this was horribly managed. Not sure why RCCL can't try to stagger arrival times (like they do for disembarkation) instead of telling everyone to show up for 12:30 or later. We took the hotel shuttle (big mistake) which didn't drop us off at Terminal 29 until 12:30 pretty much on the nose, after stopping 3 times to let other people off (DD was getting pretty fed up by this point). It was a ZOO in there. We waited in line for 2.5 hours. I do accept some of the blame though, I should've followed my gut and taken an Uber to arrive around 11 am. My mistake. Won't happen again.

First night in the MDR:

Our servers were absolutely fantastic, our DD adored them and by Day 3 recognized them, knew their names and ran to give them hugs whenever we arrived at our table. They doted on her like crazy. I took CC's advice and asked for things that weren't on the menu (mostly for her), and they happily obliged. Prime Rib was on the menu the very first night!! Boy was I excited! I ordered multiple appetizers almost every night and they were all delicious (though the escargots were actually TOO buttery/salty for my taste, which was shocking since I didn't think that was possible for me, LOL). The mushroom soup was delicious, the shrimp cocktail too, the duck... all sooo yummy. There was one night where none of the entrees tickled my fancy, so i ordered 4 appetizers instead. Very happy with that decision. :p I love that you can do that!!

The desserts were pretty good, nothing out of this world, but all pretty tasty and a great variety was offered every night.

Will post pics of the first afternoon/night this evening. :)

We sail on FOS in April and I was curious about embarkation. We were considering taking the free hotel shuttle (we are about 5 miles from cruise pier) but sounds like we would be way better off paying and getting there alittle early.

Thanks for the info and look forward to hearing more.

We sail on FOS in April and I was curious about embarkation. We were considering taking the free hotel shuttle (we are about 5 miles from cruise pier) but sounds like we would be way better off paying and getting there alittle early.

Thanks for the info and look forward to hearing more.

We were on this cruise as well. We arrived at the cruise port at about 10:45 only waited in line maybe 10 minutes. Once done with checkin we were able to board after waiting for our group to check in and stopping for pictures we were onboard by 11:30 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the same cruise, and in the terminal by 10am. We checked in, were seated in a waiting area, right next to the group from Dessert Storm. It was awesome that Royal allowed that group of veterans board the ship together prior to all the suites and diamond and platinum people.

At 11am they started the process of lining you through all the hallways up to the ship level and onboard. By 1120am, we were on board, by noon we had eaten lunch in the windjammer. By 1pm we were in our cabins awaiting our luggage, by muster drill we had found our way through most of the public areas onboard. No issues what so ever embarking. Another story dealing with the large group of 1100 or so rude, inconsiderate folks from the far east. Sure wish I had known, although it really didn't diminish the great service, entertainment and overall experience on the Freedom. We had a blast!

Another story dealing with the large group of 1100 or so rude, inconsiderate folks from the far east. Sure wish I had known, although it really didn't diminish the great service, entertainment and overall experience on the Freedom. We had a blast!

I have to agree with you here! the constant blocking of walk ways and especially staircases got to be kind of frustrating! A big issue I found was no one ever looked up from their phones! Still a great trip and we are already talking about planning another freedom trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I tried to attach pics of the dinner & dessert menus from night 1 (the only night i took pics of the menus, unfortunately), but they show up as tiny thumbnails... how do i fix this??

Either upload to a photo sharing site like FlickR and put a link in your post here, or load the Forums App on your phone and post the photo with that.

We are sailing on Freedom March 26 and can't wait. Only class we have not experienced. I somehow went from Voyager to Oasis class and missed this. Looking forward to pictures and discussion. I plan on getting to pier by 10:30am. Good info thanks. Were there any theme dinner nights. I think I saw a compass with 70s night?

I will double check my compasses when i get home, I saved all of them. ;)Pics will have to wait, unfortunately... I have spent what little free time I had the last two evenings consolidating, re-naming and uploading them to Facebook. I just don't have the energy or the motivation to upload them to yet another site right now, LOL.

Sea Day 1:

Unfortunately I have nothing interesting to report for this day, as much as I wish I did.. our DD threw up in the cabin the night before (ate something that didn't agree with her - was totally fine after), and we had to call Housekeeping to replace the bedding in my bed. They notified to med bay, so we were summoned to see the doctor in the AM, and even though he examined her and noted she seemed totally fine, just a bit dehydrated, he told us as per CDC rules she had to be quarantined for 24 hours. It was absolutely devastating, we had to take her back to the cabin after promising her some pool time and all sorts of fun. She was miserable and confused and could not understand why we had to stay in the cabin all day. It was a horrible, soul-crushing experience I never wish on any parent.

PS - we ordered room service for dinner and it was HORRIBLE. The only bad meal of our entire trip. Would never do it again.

Port Day 1 - Grand Cayman

We did the Rays, Reef & Rum Point tour with Nativeway watersports - this was absolutely wonderful, can't say enough good things about them as a company. The water was so balmy (i'm a huge wuss when it comes to chilly water!!), the weather was perfect, everything was fabulous. Rum Point is beautiful, would highly recommend a visit there. The tour company even combined our family's tour with another small group so we got the bonus of going to see and handle the starfish at Starfish Point!

What was the "Broadway" style show on Freedom?

Also is Drew Thomas the Illusionist still doing his show?

Once upon a time was the Broadway show, and it was excellent.

Drew Thomas was there on the last night, and was equally awesome.

The best show was the ice show, Freedom.com.

Others in our party of 4 thought Tony Tillman (Sammy Davis Jr) was good, I thought his show was all about getting the audience to sing and clap instead of him performing.

Another guy was from Americas got talent, and he was ok, again the rest of our party of 4 thought he was very good.

We are sailing on Freedom March 26 and can't wait. Only class we have not experienced. I somehow went from Voyager to Oasis class and missed this. Looking forward to pictures and discussion. I plan on getting to pier by 10:30am. Good info thanks. Were there any theme dinner nights. I think I saw a compass with 70s night?

The only themed dining room night we were aware of was Caribbean night, although there was a 70's dance party one evening on the Royal Promenade. We never saw any singing or special announcements in the dining room, was a little disappointed on that, usually have a good time watching our waiters singing and having a good time

Once upon a time was the Broadway show, and it was excellent.Drew Thomas was there on the last night, and was equally awesome.

Others in our party of 4 thought Tony Tillman (Sammy Davis Jr) was good, I thought his show was all about getting the audience to sing and clap instead of him performing.

Another guy was from Americas got talent, and he was ok, again the rest of our party of 4 thought he was very good.

Thank you...Once Upon a Time and Drew Thomas are the same as last April...I was hoping for a change but that's ok...it will still be fun.

Was Tony Tillman in the piano bar?...we liked hanging out there in the evenings.

Once upon a time was the Broadway show, and it was excellent.Drew Thomas was there on the last night, and was equally awesome.

"Once Upon A Time" is an RCI production show. To my knowledge Freedom does not yet have a Broadway show aboard.

Thank you...Once Upon a Time and Drew Thomas are the same as last April...I was hoping for a change but that's ok...it will still be fun.Was Tony Tillman in the piano bar?...we liked hanging out there in the evenings.

Not that I saw, he did his show in the Arcadia Theater

Sorry for the misinformation! I did not know the difference
No worries. The Broadway shows are like CATS, Mamma Mia, Grease. Hairspray and Chicago, the first two shows to come to Oasis and Allure, are now gone... true Broadway shows brought to the ships. Once you see this caliber show you will see the difference. They are on a very different level from the RCI Singers and Dancers production shows.

So, on to the next adventure:

Port Day 2: Cozumel

So, navigating the busy port/shops area was a little daunting, mostly because we had our DD with us - and it was HOT. Honestly we just thought we'd have to walk (somewhat) straight through a shopping area and we'd be able to just hail a taxi and that would be that. Not so much... it was a winding maze of shops & corridors to get out to the street, and then you have to line up to catch a taxi. We were not prepared to be standing in line in the sun waiting for 15-20 minutes, so my advice to everyone is make sure you have sunscreen slathered on *before* getting off the ship! Oh, and to parents of toddlers debating whether or not to bring an umbrella stroller - BRING IT. Do not make the same mistake we did (to be fair, though, we intended to bring one, we just forgot it.. *sigh*).

Taxi to Chankanaab was quick and cheap-ish (don't recall the exact amount, sorry), and upon arrival the Park was blissfully not crowded and the line-up to get admission tickets was only 2-3 people deep at each counter. We made our way in and found a lovely little beach by a lagoon, off to the side of the restaurant, and parked our stuff under a tiki hut umbrella. A gentleman soon came over to take drink (right away) and food (for later) orders, and when we inquired about beach toys for DD he came back 3 min later with a new bucket + toys and said we could rent it for the day for $3. Not too shabby! Great service!!

I also went and rented a mask+snorkel from the diving kiosks so DH & I could take turns snorkeling a bit. We stayed in the lagoon/reef area and saw SO many beautiful fish!!!

Our lunch was incredibly delicious - fresh shrimp ceviche and chicken enchiladas and guacamole. I was in heaven.

After lunch DD wanted to explore a bit, so we went to watch the Dolphin encounter (you can stand and watch from the pool area and get great views of the dolphins jumping out of the water and doing tricks - DD was delighted, no need to pay a fortune to be in the water with them!) She also got up close and personal with the resident massive pelican, will post a pic of that later. Very chill guy, my DH got some gorgeous photos of him. DD also frolicked in the pool while i sat in the shade of the swim-up bar and watched.

Later in the afternoon we also went to see the crocodiles (two of them were clearly.. um.. feeling "frisky" and it was quite the spectacle) and on the way back a big iguana crossed the path a few feet in front of us - SO COOL!!

All in all this was DH's favorite day, it was a rousing success and I strongly encourage everyone to visit Chankanaab on their stop in Cozumel, especially if you have kids - lots to do and see! I saw many a parent struggling with kids who did.not.want.to.leave.. LOL.. Our DD was not too thrilled about leaving either, but she was also very tired so she didn't really fight us on it.

Big bonus on our way out - a gentleman and his two stunningly beautiful macaws (my god they're huge birds!) was offering to allow people to take pictures with the birds for a "donation" only, any amount was welcome. I've seen this sort of thing before but normally it's their photographer and you pay through the nose for ONE picture... this was a great deal. DH took over a dozen pictures of my holding DD on one arm and the two macaws on the other.. DD was enthralled with the beautiful birds.

Taxi ride back was uneventful (DD fell asleep) and the walk back to the ship was much smoother than on arrival.

I believe that night was the 70s Dance Party on the Promenade which was really lively and fun. We took DD there after dinner and she had a ball dancing, bouncing around and entertaining onlookers.