Formal Night on Empress?

• 3 months later...
Going on Cuban cruise 10/16/17. Since the ship is informal are they allowing jeans at dinner?

Dress suggestions are not enforced, you can wear anything you want.

I am in the process of packing for my upcoming cruise and read somewhere that they are officially not allowing shorts in the dining room, can anyone confirm this? I usually wear slacks, but figured this would be a pretty laid back cruise and I'd wear nice shorts a couple of nights.

The dress codes on the ship is the same as the other ships, with the exception they do not have a formal night. Jeans or other long pants with a polo shirt for man are fine for dinner.

One of the funny things about going to Cuba is that they expect you to be wearing long pants in the evening for shows and dinner (if you are doing an overnight).

I just don't understand the big deal of putting changing into something a little more decent for dinner and evening activities on any cruise.

I am in the process of packing for my upcoming cruise and read somewhere that they are officially not allowing shorts in the dining room, can anyone confirm this? I usually wear slacks, but figured this would be a pretty laid back cruise and I'd wear nice shorts a couple of nights.

The no short policy has been in effect for a long time - the issue is enforcement, which most of the time is non-existent.

Now you are confusing me. I read reviews from cruisers who have already sailed to Cuba on the Empress and they posted that dress shorts were worn to dinner on the ship by many/most.

I will be packing black slacks for DH for the night we go to Hotel Nacionale for dinner/show as that is what the hotel representative told me in answer to my email. Rep. said long pants and dress shirt for Hotel.

Had no plans to pack long pants for dinner on ship as it is reported to be Caribbean/Florida casual.

Those of you who have sailed, please set us straight. As Bob and others have posted, I have not seen dress code enforced on any ships in the past 5 or more years.

Now you are confusing me. I read reviews from cruisers who have already sailed to Cuba on the Empress and they posted that dress shorts were worn to dinner on the ship by many/most.

Those of you who have sailed, please set us straight. As Bob and others have posted, I have not seen dress code enforced on any ships in the past 5 or more years.

Nothing confusing - official RCI policy (there's usually a sign right at the MDR entrance - don't remember seeing it on Empress) says no shorts. The ship does not generally enforce it.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is helpful for those of us flying down with luggage weight restrictions. We had decided since it was a 5 day cruise with no formal night(s) we were going to try to only have to bring one suit case. We are using a different airline than usual and are only allowed 40lbs per suitcase.

If we wear jeans to dinner with a polo or casual shirt (not t shirt) and tennis shoes it will help substantially with our weight on suitcase.

Thanks for comments and thoughts very helpful.

This thread is helpful for those of us flying down with luggage weight restrictions. We had decided since it was a 5 day cruise with no formal night(s) we were going to try to only have to bring one suit case. We are using a different airline than usual and are only allowed 40lbs per suitcase.

If we wear jeans to dinner with a polo or casual shirt (not t shirt) and tennis shoes it will help substantially with our weight on suitcase.

Thanks for comments and thoughts very helpful.

I wore jeans, slacks, and shorts and polo, dress shirt and nice Columbia shirts and didn't have an issue. I also wore sperrys. DW wore summer dresses each night with nice sandals.