Empress of the Seas (Cuba Tours)

Hello:

My wife and I are planning to take a cruise on Empress of the Seas out of Tampa to Cuba this summer. I looked on the Royal website and could not find any information about cost of tours in Cuba and what is offered. Does anyone have any information that can be shared about shore excursions while visiting CUBA on Empress.

Thanks,

I found all of the Havana tour information on the main RCCL site. Anxious to hear reports of possible other night life activities. I have found some information on private tours but have not seen anyone discussing this option yet. Would love to visit a club/bar not hours from ship the evening we are in port overnight. The Royal offering seems to have a long ride to get to cabaret show. Any information would be appreciated. We are booked on October 16 sailing.

We also are booked on a Havana overnight cruise. Our local PBS station in Seattle aired this Rick Steves video of his recent trip to Cuba. It's interesting and informative.

https://www.ricksteves.com/tv-programmers/pledge/cuba

Royal's evening nightclub excursions feature a historic and well-known club, with ambiance from the tourist heyday of the 1940's and 50's. Perhaps there are other clubs closer to our dock. There is a section in the CC ports Caribbean forum for Cuba. You might try a question there.

• 2 weeks later...
We also are booked on a Havana overnight cruise. Our local PBS station in Seattle aired this Rick Steves video of his recent trip to Cuba. It's interesting and informative.

Royal's evening nightclub excursions feature a historic and well-known club, with ambiance from the tourist heyday of the 1940's and 50's. Perhaps there are other clubs closer to our dock. There is a section in the CC ports Caribbean forum for Cuba. You might try a question there.

Thanks for posting the link. I saw the Rick Steves show recently and it was the icing on the cake for us to book the cruise. We are not staying over night on our October cruise, perhaps next time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We're booked for the summer 2017 - Cuba / Key West itinerary, so we will not be in the Havana port overnight. I see we must book an excursion in order to meet the educational purpose for being on the island. I was a bit disappointed to see that none of the excursions had a focus on cuisine. I am hoping somebody will see this thread and post of their experiences. I'm interested in knowing if you are able to venture off on your own to explore the restaurant culture after doing something like a 3 hour historical excursion through the cruise line in order to meet the visiting requirements.

We're booked for the summer 2017 - Cuba / Key West itinerary, so we will not be in the Havana port overnight. I see we must book an excursion in order to meet the educational purpose for being on the island. I was a bit disappointed to see that none of the excursions had a focus on cuisine. I am hoping somebody will see this thread and post of their experiences. I'm interested in knowing if you are able to venture off on your own to explore the restaurant culture after doing something like a 3 hour historical excursion through the cruise line in order to meet the visiting requirements.

I booked a private tour with Havana Journeys for my September cruise. Contact them and see if they would customize a tour for you. You can read reviews on TripAdvisor.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

I tried to use the Rick Steves link and all I get is access to the promo (over and over). How do I get to the main show?

Here's a link to the Rick Steves Cuba special. It was done as a live stage talk with video and was a part of our local Seattle PBS station pledge drive. Perhaps this link will work for you.

Here's a link to the Rick Steves Cuba special. It was done as a live stage talk with video and was a part of our local Seattle PBS station pledge drive. Perhaps this link will work for you.

My husband and I are on the Sept. 27th sailing of Empress to Cuba/Keys/Cozumel and are very much looking forward to it! The Rick Steves special is easily accessible on YouTube as well as the rest of his travel specials. A video that pops up after his is made by a Scottish woman on her travels to Havana.

Also, Netflix has Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown and his Cuba episode is available to watch.

• 3 months later...

I have some questions about cuba:

1.did anyone tell you you need special health insurance?

2. Can you walk around on your own?

3. Are there beaches that you can get to that are safe and near where Royal Carribean docks in Havana?

4. Has anyone heard that there is a port charge of $75 when you don't use Royal Carribean's excursions and go off on your own?

We just returned last week from the five day Empress cruise and I think I can answer your questions.

1. The Cuban health insurance is included in your cruise fare.

2. You can definitely walk around on your own if you want to.

3. There are not any beaches close to the port . I understand that the beaches are a good distance away.

4. The $ 75.00 fee is for the Cuban visa. It will be added to your onboard account when you get on the ship. Everyone needs one whether you take a ship excursion or no.

Hope this helps.