Afternoon Tea in London

drdaddy

I think the folks that prefer NOT to experience afternoon tea in London are the same ones who cruise with a small carry on bag and on formal nights, frequent the MDR in a clean Tee shirt.

Understood that there are less expensive meals even in London. But let's not give up all elegance. At least not yet.

We're looking for an elegant and traditional experience to celebrate my niece's college graduation as well as a milestone birthday. But we aren't able to decide on the venue, what would you suggest? Savoy, Ritz, Wolseley, Connaught? Look forward to your input, thanks in advance:)

Is there a dress code for these teas? Can one wear jeans? runners?

Depends on the individual venue - for example, the Ritz is jacket and tie, the Savoy smart casual, no sportswear. These are sold as elegant experiences, so folk will often dress up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think the folks that prefer NOT to experience afternoon tea in London are the same ones who cruise with a small carry on bag and on formal nights, frequent the MDR in a clean Tee shirt.

Seriously? Does that include the two contributors who said they'd prefer a meal in a top-scale, Michelin starred restaurant?

The Wallace Collection is a fab place to visit: http://www.wallacecollection.org/

Lots to see as well as to indulge in: http://www.afternoontea.co.uk/uk/london/marylebone-paddington/the-wallace-restaurant/

"The Wallace Restaurant is located within the beautiful Wallace Collection gallery on Manchester Square, considered to be one of the best collections of fine arts including paintings, porcelain and furnishings in the UK.

Flooded with natural light, and dotted with trees and sculptures, The Wallace Restaurant is the perfect place to enjoy Afternoon Tea in impressive surroundings.

Indulge in a selection of freshly made sandwiches, perfectly dainty scones with clotted cream and Peyton and Byrne preserves, followed by a selection of delicious cakes, with the option to add a glass of champagne."

Understood that there are less expensive meals even in London. But let's not give up all elegance. At least not yet.
I can get plenty of elegance at meals other than afternoon tea, thank you very much, together with better and better-value food. A tourist trap that looks elegant is still a tourist trap - and some of these afternoon tea venues are simply tourist traps.

Is there a dress code for these teas? Can one wear jeans? runners?

Generally they are less formal than they used to be, but I think most be would be dressed up a little. You could probably get away with smart jeans, but best to check with the venue first.

Wow. Helpful? Just when I thought I had it figured out. Way too many but very nice indeed.

Thanks!

Sorry to confuse you with so much choice!

I can't recommend any personally, because I am outside of London.

If anyone is looking for a good afternoon tea not too far from Windsor, I love this place. It's my birthday treat! :hearteyes:

https://www.dorchestercollection.com/en/ascot/coworth-park/afternoon-tea/

Again I recommend the Connaught - absolutely beautiful with delicious sandwiches and pastries. The setting is also lovely. The Savoy is not as good (IMHO) these days. I don't think you would be disappointed at all.

• 2 weeks later...
It isn't just tea and snacks... You are paying for an experience: Elegant tables, attentive staff and beautifully presented food.
It sounds like its about the 'experience', and not necessarily about the quality of the food or tea itself. With the British adding milk to their tea, do you still use quality tea for their afternoon tea or would that be considered a waste like using Macallan for a jack and coke.

It sounds like its about the 'experience', and not necessarily about the quality of the food or tea itself. With the British adding milk to their tea, do you still use quality tea for their afternoon tea or would that be considered a waste like using Macallan for a jack and coke.

The milk normally comes in a separate little jug, so you can add as much as you want or none at all.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Again I recommend the Connaught - absolutely beautiful with delicious sandwiches and pastries. The setting is also lovely. The Savoy is not as good (IMHO) these days. I don't think you would be disappointed at all.

And I just booked a table for six at the Savoy last evening! Tried the Ritz but they only had openings at 11.30am or 7.30pm, will look at the Connaught too:)

And I just booked a table for six at the Savoy last evening! Tried the Ritz but they only had openings at 11.30am or 7.30pm, will look at the Connaught too:)

How about Fortnum and mason, understand the Diamond Jubilee Tea Salon is lovely.

In addition to some national stereotyping, you may be mixing up tea-the-drink with afternoon tea-the-meal, when tea may or may not be drunk.

At one of the afternoon teas (meals) described in this thread, you will be offered a menu of many different teas (drinks) from around the world. Their characteristics will be described and you can make entirely your own decision about adding milk, before or after pouring the tea, whatever your nationality. Or have a coffee :)

Globaliser

As a Londoner, please tell me where I can get a Michelin star dinner for £46 as I'd like to book.

If you fancy a trip out to the suburbs, The Hand & Flowers in Marlow is lovely (Tom Kerridges place) 2 Michelin stars, and you could just about get 2 courses for £50 :D

Edited by debsjc
typo

Globaliser

As a Londoner, please tell me where I can get a Michelin star dinner for £46 as I'd like to book.

Our current favoured haunt is Galvin La Chapelle. You might not get out of there for £46 if you order from the standard carte, but there's usually a set menu and often some good special offers that will allow you to do that.

If you fancy a trip out to the suburbs, The Hand & Flowers in Marlow is lovely (Tom Kerridges place) 2 Michelin stars, and you could just about get 2 courses for £50 :D

Yes, it is very nice, I've been there, but they have really hiked the prices.

Really, my comment was contrary to what people were saying, that you can get a Michelin dinner for the price of afternoon tea. It would be hard to find a Michelin starred restaurant for dinner for that price. You may get a set lunch, but you'd be hard pushed for dinner.

I think that in many places afternoon tea is overpriced, but lots of people enjoy it, so if they are prepared to pay the prices that is up to the individual.

I think that in many places afternoon tea is overpriced, but lots of people enjoy it, so if they are prepared to pay the prices that is up to the individual.

With prices that high, is it just tourists who are doing these afternoon teas?

And where can you go to get afternoon tea that's not overpriced?

What's the best bang-for-the-buck place to go to in London for afternoon tea?

Many people in the U.K. do afternoon tea for special occasions or girly afternoons out, or to take your Mum for her birthday.

I've been to a few places, but not within central London, so can't help you as far as prices go.

There are several tea shops in the Knightsbridge area that have afternoon tea on offer and seem to have quite reasonable prices at £12 or less, but I doubt they offer the level of service and foods that most of the expensive places do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

If you are looking for a truly traditional, elegant afternoon tea, I recommend The Goring Hotel. It's a boutique hotel, owned by the same family for over a century, about a block from Buckingham Palace. It is a favorite spot for MPs and other dignitaries, as well as members of the Royal Family, on occasion. it is the only hotel with a royal warrant, whatever that means. :confused: (Kate stayed here the night before her wedding.) The service is excellent and dripping with Old-World charm. (Fully liveried waiters/footmen, for example.) You can even enjoy your tea in their delightful English garden. It's pricey, but memorable and lovely. Reservations definitely required.