Nepali Coast by Helicopter or Boat?

Karysa

If I had to choose, it would be the helicopter for sure. It takes in so much more of mostly inaccessible Kauai than just the Na Pali coast. You will get a perspective in the Waimea Canyon, for instance, that those who drive the road through never do. Likewise, you are up close and personal in the valleys of the Na Pali.

Of course if you are on the POA, you will have a sail by of the Na Pali which is beautiful, but it is an entirely different experience and perspective from the water even when seen from a small boat tour which is much closer to the Na Pali and for a longer time period. They are all worthwhile, but I'd choose the heli. It is expensive as tours go, but it is also a bucket list type experience. We booked ours direct with Blue Hawaiian rather than the cruise ship for considerable savings. Thankfully, most sight seeing in Hawaii can be done for nothing, so you can perhaps afford to go all out on this one.

Thanks for the replays.

Can you get great views/pictures from hiking the coast?

I'm just tying to see if we need to book both a boat tour as well as a helicopter tour. We will be there for a week pre cruise and our cruise does not visit Kauai.

Thanks for the replays.

I'm just tying to see if we need to book both a boat tour as well as a helicopter tour. We will be there for a week pre cruise and our cruise does not visit Kauai.

We purchased the flash drive of our own personal helicopter tour and the video is in HD. The nice thing about it is that you can pause the video and take great screen shots of the tour. The pictures are awesome. I also did have my camera and with the zoom lens also got some great pics.

The helicopter tour gives you a whole different perspective of the Waimea Canyon and Na Pali Coast as the aerial view shots are breath taking.You will not get that with the boat tour.

Thanks for the replays.

The entire stretch of NaPali from Ke'e Beach on the North shore near Princeville, is 15 miles long. The 11 mile Kalaulau Trail is Sierra Club rated 9 out of 10 for difficulty. I doubt you are going to hike the whole thing unless you are very experienced hikers. Most people only do a small portion. According to the web, the most popular hike is from Ke'e Beach to Hanakapiai River Valley; 8 miles roundtrip to a waterfall or 4 miles r/t to Hanakapiai Beach ( it's only there during the summer months ). Anything beyond Hanakapiai, you'll need a permit. At the beach, swimming not advised at any time of year due to very hazardous water conditions. Also, you must cross a river on the beach trail which can also be dangerous.

I'm sure you might get some great pictures, but seeing this area from every perspective possible is the way to go, especially if you have an entire week. There are some catamoran tours which sail the coast and stop for Na Pali Beach picnics. Similarly, even if you have driven through Waimea Canyon, and also seen it from the air, there are canyon hikes which will give you a different perspective as well.

Recently on the POA and the sail by the Napali coast was very scenic but not near as nice as the helicopter tour we also took with Blue Hawaiian. It was well worth the $ and was a highlight of our cruise.

What time is the sail by? I'm trying to figure out dinner plans for that night? TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are claustrophobic, I would not recommend doing the helicopter UNLESS you can be assured of riding in the front. I know this from experience. Unless I can have that guarantee, I will never ride voluntarily in a helicopter ever again. Sorry to put a wet blanket on things, but it is something you need to know if you have major issues with claustrophobia.

• 5 weeks later...
If you are claustrophobic, I would not recommend doing the helicopter UNLESS you can be assured of riding in the front. I know this from experience. Unless I can have that guarantee, I will never ride voluntarily in a helicopter ever again. Sorry to put a wet blanket on things, but it is something you need to know if you have major issues with claustrophobia.

I am claustrophobic and thankfully was given the choice of the seat by the pilot in the front or one of the two middle seats in the back for our tour in Maui. I chose the front and I agree, I would have had a very difficult time if I was placed in a back middle seat. My claustrophobia may not be as bad as some people's though. For instance, I am ok in an elevator but I will not get in to a crowded elevator and if possible I stand by the "floors" panel so that I am near the exit of the elevator.

The second helicopter that we took was a doors off helicopter tour in Kauai and it was just the pilot up front and DH and I in the back. Whole other experience but claustrophobia was not one of my issues. :')

Thanks everyone for the help. We have booked a helicopter trip and have found a couple of boat trips that leave from the northshore where we will be staying and will decide between the two.

We ended up taking the Napoli Coast Boat Tour and it was fantastic. It's a different day and a different experience than the helicopter but it was a wonderful afternoon. It leaves from Hanalei which was close to where we were staying which was great for us and leaving from there gets you to the Napali coast faster.

I just did a Na Pali Coast cruise with Blue Dolphin Charters ( https://bluedolphinkauai.com ) it was a amazing.

Check out my review thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2493950

I looked into them but the north shore was where we were staying and after visiting the whole island a couple of times is definitely an area that should be seen so I think taking a cruise from there gives people a great reason to see this most beautiful part of the island.

• 3 weeks later...

I have not done the helicopter so I can't comment on that but I have done the Na' Pali coast by catamaran and it was by far a great experience. We were on a small cat and were lucky that the ocean was calm and we had a great captain because he was able to get into a cave and under a waterfall! My daughter and I sat on the net and got soaked as the captain took the front under the fall several times, hubby thought we were crazy! Can't do that on a 'copter!