Do you have suggestions for how to spend the day in Kona?

Karysa

I am at a loss when it comes to Kona. I don't think that I will want another tour day though. I am open to beach/snorkeling suggestions and good restaurants with a great view or a boat trip but I haven't found just what I'm looking for. Any suggestion is welcome because if it's not for me it may just be for someone else who clicked on this thread who is also looking for ideas. :)

Hi Karysa,

I've been chatting with you on our roll call. I'm still not sure yet for sure about Kona either. We will probably just do the hop on hop off trolley. http://www.clarkshawaiitours.com/

We will go to Kahaluu beach and snorkel, go to the market...

We would love to go snorkeling to the Captain cook monument bay, but there doesn't seem to be anyone doing it, other than Captain Zodiac, which would be too hard on my back, I think.

Maybe some more people will have some other good ideas.

Hi Karysa,

I've been chatting with you on our roll call. I'm still not sure yet for sure about Kona either. We will probably just do the hop on hop off trolley. http://www.clarkshawaiitours.com/

We would love to go snorkeling to the Captain cook monument bay, but there doesn't seem to be anyone doing it, other than Captain Zodiac, which would be too hard on my back, I think.

Zodiac sounds far more stressful on the website than it actually is. It was very smooth and easy and easily one of the highlights of our trip when we did it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I am at a loss when it comes to Kona. I don't think that I will want another tour day though. I am open to beach/snorkeling suggestions and good restaurants with a great view or a boat trip but I haven't found just what I'm looking for. Any suggestion is welcome because if it's not for me it may just be for someone else who clicked on this thread who is also looking for ideas. :)

We spent a week in Kona and went out with Kona Honu Divers for the Manta Ray night dive. They offer other snorkeling and diving too. They also have a this Open Ocean Safari Ihttps://www.konahonudivers.com/best-snorkel-boat-kona-and-freedive-whale-watching.htm

If you're there during whale season that might be fun. They are a very organized and friendly business.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great topic. I too am trying to find something to do in Kona, looking forward to reading all the suggestions.

The hop-on-hop-off bus seems like a good idea, I was also looking at the NCL sponsored - Kona by Land & Sea tour. I tend not to use the ship sponsored tours but there wasn't much else available in Kona that did not include snorkeling (my friend does not want to snorkel)

Not sure which I should do, any suggestions?

I will be there on 5/10

Edited by Pickles61

Hi Karysa,

Hi there,

I was thinking about the zodiac as well but it looked so crowded in the pictures that I have seen. We will be on a snorkel trip in Maui and a tour in Hilo so I was hoping for a DIY day before being on the ship for the long journey to Vancouver.

I was thinking maybe a nice lunch and couples massage outside at the Fairmont Orchid.

We spent a week in Kona and went out with Kona Honu Divers for the Manta Ray night dive. They offer other snorkeling and diving too. They also have a this Open Ocean Safari Ihttps://www.konahonudivers.com/best-snorkel-boat-kona-and-freedive-whale-watching.htm

If you're there during whale season that might be fun. They are a very organized and friendly business.

Thanks I will look them up. We are tendered so that in itself could be an issue when it comes to booking private excursions.

Zodiac sounds far more stressful on the website than it actually is. It was very smooth and easy and easily one of the highlights of our trip when we did it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hi,

I was concerned because they say not to book it if you have back or neck problems, I have some issues. Also I was concerned about getting back on the zodiac after snorkeling. The picture shows people sitting on the edges, is that right or can you sit straight on benches?

Hi there,

I was thinking about the zodiac as well but it looked so crowded in the pictures that I have seen. We will be on a snorkel trip in Maui and a tour in Hilo so I was hoping for a DIY day before being on the ship for the long journey to Vancouver.

I was thinking maybe a nice lunch and couples massage outside at the Fairmont Orchid.

Karysa,

Are you on the Dolphin snorkel tour to Lanai in Maui?

My family rented a car in kona and we are headed to several beaches. Hapuna Beach is one of our destinations because it was voted one of the best beaches in the world. Kahalu'u bay surf is a business that is located right across from Kahalu'u bay that rents boogie boards, surf boards, chairs, umbrellas, etc. We like that the rental car office is right across the street from the port. We sail on 6/3.

We go to Kona often. Snorkelling at Kahulu'u is the best! IMHO better than Maui, Bonaire, Roatan or Cozumel. Awesome fish and usually sea turtles. Rent a car, go to Kahulu'u first thing, then go have an amazing lunch with a crazy view at Sam choys just up the hill. The town of Kona is cute to wander and you may have time to drive to captain cook as well to snorkel at two step or see the national park city of refuge. There is so much to see and do. Right by the fishing harbour is another national historic park with a lovely beach with lots of turtles. I wouldn't do the trolley as it doesn't come by very often.

Hi Karysa,

A great option for a Captain Cook snorkel at Kealakekua Bay is on the Fair Wind. They are located in Keauhou Bay which is about 30 min by taxi from the cruise ship dock. We did this on our POA cruise and took a taxi from the ship, arriving with plenty of time to spare. I think they leave at 9:00 am. Check their website for the Morning Snorkel and Barbecue cruise. Really the most enjoyable and comfortable snorkel we have ever done anywhere. Great lunch, crew and gorgeous water in the bay.

Mary Lou's Big Island Tours is a great company offering small group tours in both Hilo and Kona. We have used them in both locations. Small group, family conducted, usually @ 6 people. In Kona they hit all the historic places, coffee plantation and more. They also offer a snorkel at two-step. Son Kyle now has his own company, Island Wide, and that's who we actually went with in Kona. You can probably book through either company.

You will LOVE this whale watching excursion in Maui !! We too have done this in the past and was a great day :p Have a great time everyone

It's a snorkel excursion. Seeing a whale would be fantastic as long as it's not when I'm snorkeling! Maui day is our 25 th anniversary so I thought that this would be a nice way to spend it. DH is just going along with everything on this particular trip.:hearteyes:

A great option for a Captain Cook snorkel at Kealakekua Bay is on the Fair Wind. They are located in Keauhou Bay which is about 30 min by taxi from the cruise ship dock. We did this on our POA cruise and took a taxi from the ship, arriving with plenty of time to spare. I think they leave at 9:00 am. Check their website for the Morning Snorkel and Barbecue cruise. Really the most enjoyable and comfortable snorkel we have ever done anywhere. Great lunch, crew and gorgeous water in the bay.

Mary Lou's Big Island Tours is a great company offering small group tours in both Hilo and Kona. We have used them in both locations. Small group, family conducted, usually @ 6 people. In Kona they hit all the historic places, coffee plantation and more. They also offer a snorkel at two-step. Son Kyle now has his own company, Island Wide, and that's who we actually went with in Kona. You can probably book through either company.

I got this from Fairwinds site FAQ

Can you accommodate Cruise Ship passengers?

The different cruise ship companies have different arrival times into Kailua-Kona. You will need to check with your cruise line to find out if they expect to arrive at 7:00am or 8:00am. If your cruise ship arrives at 7:00am then you should have enough time to make either the Fair Wind II or Hula Kai morning cruise. If your cruise ship arrives at 8:00am then you won’t have enough time to make the Fair Wind II morning cruise. Regardless of when your cruise ship arrives, there are a couple factors that will determine if you can get to our office in time to board one of our morning cruises. 1st you will need to make sure that you are aboard one of the first few tender boats that will ferry you from the cruise ship, which is anchored offshore, to the pier in downtown Kailua-Kona. 2nd you will want to have a taxi waiting for you at the pier to bring you to our office. We recommend that you make arrangements with the cruise ship concierge to reserve a taxi for you. It is approximately a 25-minute taxi ride from the Kailua-Kona pier to our office and boats.

It makes me nervous of weather we could make it. Being tendered and not a ship tour, you don't have first priority off, otherwise would love to do it.

Also checked Marylou's Son's snorkel and there is no availability for when we are there in May:loudcry: sadly

I got this from Fairwinds site FAQ

Can you accommodate Cruise Ship passengers?

The different cruise ship companies have different arrival times into Kailua-Kona. You will need to check with your cruise line to find out if they expect to arrive at 7:00am or 8:00am. If your cruise ship arrives at 7:00am then you should have enough time to make either the Fair Wind II or Hula Kai morning cruise. If your cruise ship arrives at 8:00am then you won’t have enough time to make the Fair Wind II morning cruise. Regardless of when your cruise ship arrives, there are a couple factors that will determine if you can get to our office in time to board one of our morning cruises. 1st you will need to make sure that you are aboard one of the first few tender boats that will ferry you from the cruise ship, which is anchored offshore, to the pier in downtown Kailua-Kona. 2nd you will want to have a taxi waiting for you at the pier to bring you to our office. We recommend that you make arrangements with the cruise ship concierge to reserve a taxi for you. It is approximately a 25-minute taxi ride from the Kailua-Kona pier to our office and boats.

It makes me nervous of weather we could make it. Being tendered and not a ship tour, you don't have first priority off, otherwise would love to do it.

Also checked Marylou's Son's snorkel and there is no availability for when we are there in May:loudcry: sadly

Too bad Kyle's snorkel is not available, but keep in mind his is at two-step, off the rocks, and not at Captain Cook Monument in Kealakekua Bay. We did his land tour and it is very good. I am thinking he either does one or the other, land or snorkel, depending on which way the booking requests go. The POA offers a snorkel excursion with Body Glove, a highly regarded tour company right in Kona. But unfortunately it does not go to Kealakekua Bay @ Captain Cook Monument.

Are you on the POA? Doesn't it arrive at 7:00 am? I am thinking we were off the ship well before 7:30, walked down alomg the waterfront for awhile, walked back to the ship and then picked up a taxi from the group parked at the pier. When we arrived at the tour office, no other passengers had arrived yet. We sat on a picnic table next to to the water for some time, at least 30 min.

We have tendered in Kona twice. Keep in mind that not everyone wants off the ship at 7:00 am. Even those who have priority do not always want off the ship first. Ship tours will depart based on their tour schedules, not necessarily on the first tenders. Most tours probably start between 8 and 9:00 am. We were on the very first tender, and there were not throngs of people trying to get off.

If you want to get off early, all one needs to do is to follow the procedures for getting tender tickets as listed in the Freestyle Daily. It's first come, first off the ship. If they say 6:30 or 7:00 is the start time for picking up tickets, then be in line at the stated location with your entire group before then. If the boats are ready, you'll go straight down. If not they'll call your group as soon as they are. Both times we were in Kona, the ship arrived in port before the stated port time and tenders started more or less immediately at 7:00 am. Even if you somehow did not get off until 8:00, you would still have plenty of time to get there.

Edited by punkincc

Too bad Kyle's snorkel is not available, but keep in mind his is at two-step, off the rocks, and not at Captain Cook Monument in Kealakekua Bay. We did his land tour and it is very good. I am thinking he either does one or the other, land or snorkel, depending on which way the booking requests go. The POA offers a snorkel excursion with Body Glove, a highly regarded tour company right in Kona. But unfortunately it does not go to Kealakekua Bay @ Captain Cook Monument.

Are you on the POA? Doesn't it arrive at 7:00 am? I am thinking we were off the ship well before 7:30, walked down alomg the waterfront for awhile, walked back to the ship and then picked up a taxi from the group parked at the pier. When we arrived at the tour office, no other passengers had arrived yet. We sat on a picnic table next to to the water for some time, at least 30 min.

We have tendered in Kona twice. Keep in mind that not everyone wants off the ship at 7:00 am. Even those who have priority do not always want off the ship first. Ship tours will depart based on their tour schedules, not necessarily on the first tenders. Most tours probably start between 8 and 9:00 am. We were on the very first tender, and there were not throngs of people trying to get off.

If you want to get off early, all one needs to do is to follow the procedures for getting tender tickets as listed in the Freestyle Daily. It's first come, first off the ship. If they say 6:30 or 7:00 is the start time for picking up tickets, then be in line at the stated location with your entire group before then. If the boats are ready, you'll go straight down. If not they'll call your group as soon as they are. Both times we were in Kona, the ship arrived in port before the stated port time and tenders started more or less immediately at 7:00 am. Even if you somehow did not get off until 8:00, you would still have plenty of time to get there.

No We are on Celebrity. It gets in at 8am, so it's hard to say if we would get off right away.

Thanks anyway. I would do it if it got in at 7am.

We go to Kona often. Snorkelling at Kahulu'u is the best! IMHO better than Maui, Bonaire, Roatan or Cozumel. Awesome fish and usually sea turtles. Rent a car, go to Kahulu'u first thing, then go have an amazing lunch with a crazy view at Sam choys just up the hill. The town of Kona is cute to wander and you may have time to drive to captain cook as well to snorkel at two step or see the national park city of refuge. There is so much to see and do. Right by the fishing harbour is another national historic park with a lovely beach with lots of turtles. I wouldn't do the trolley as it doesn't come by very often.

We aren't tendered until 8 and we will need to be back before for the last tender I would think. Therefore, we have say 6 hrs to explore. Would this be enough to rent a car and follow your plan? Are there car rental agencies at the port? If not where is the nearest one?

Thanks for any assistance that you can provide. 😊

Do a search for Kona town to find car rental locations. We pick up at the airport so I'm not sure of the town locations. You will most likely tender in near the Marriott courtyard if that helps.

I think you would have time to snorkel for a couple of hours at Kahuluu, then do a drive to the national park city of refuge. There is good snorkelling nearby at twostep as well but it is a rock entry so I prefer Kahuluu.

I would then have lunch at either Sam Choys for a breathtaking view in the Keauhou shopping centre just 5 minutes farther down Alii drive from Kahuluu. Some people also love Da poke shack but I like my fish cooked.

Or the Old time Manago hotel near captain cook and the city of refuge. Go snorkelling first then see how your time is. It's about 45 minutes further to the city of refuge one way. Usually the ships leave around 6, so you should have sufficient time.

Also The whales won't be there in May, but you should see turtles and dolphins.

Do a search for Kona town to find car rental locations. We pick up at the airport so I'm not sure of the town locations. You will most likely tender in near the Marriott courtyard if that helps.

I think you would have time to snorkel for a couple of hours at Kahuluu, then do a drive to the national park city of refuge. There is good snorkelling nearby at twostep as well but it is a rock entry so I prefer Kahuluu.

I would then have lunch at either Sam Choys for a breathtaking view in the Keauhou shopping centre just 5 minutes farther down Alii drive from Kahuluu. Some people also love Da poke shack but I like my fish cooked.

Or the Old time Manago hotel near captain cook and the city of refuge. Go snorkelling first then see how your time is. It's about 45 minutes further to the city of refuge one way. Usually the ships leave around 6, so you should have sufficient time.

Also The whales won't be there in May, but you should see turtles and dolphins.

Thank you for the information. We are on the Celebrity Solstice and it's scheduled to leave at 5. I hope that there is a rental place in town because time will be short enough on a 8-5 tender day. I don't want the hassle of having to take a shuttle to and from the car rental agency that is for sure.

The more I here of the beaches and snorkeling in Kona the more I am leaning to a rental car or tour that will provide us this kind of day.

Thanks again. 😊

We aren't tendered until 8 and we will need to be back before for the last tender I would think. Therefore, we have say 6 hrs to explore. Would this be enough to rent a car and follow your plan? Are there car rental agencies at the port? If not where is the nearest one?

Thanks for any assistance that you can provide. 😊

There will be rental car shuttles, but they will take you to the airport for car pickup. You most often see recommendations to simply book direct with the car rental desk within the Courtyard Marriott ( King Kam ) which is a very short walk from the pier. I'd suggest booking well in advance there as the inventory is probably much less. Those who do this say it costs a bit more here vs the airport locations, but most feel the convenience and close proximity to the ship make it well worth it.

For booking car rentals in other ports, or the airport location in Kona, Discount Hawaii Car Rental is a good booking site to use. No prepayment or cancel fees. But I don't believe you can book the Marriott location with them.

There will be rental car shuttles, but they will take you to the airport for car pickup. You most often see recommendations to simply book direct with the car rental desk within the Courtyard Marriott ( King Kam ) which is a very short walk from the pier. I'd suggest booking well in advance there as the inventory is probably much less. Those who do this say it costs a bit more here vs the airport locations, but most feel the convenience and close proximity to the ship make it well worth it.

For booking car rentals in other ports, or the airport location in Kona, Discount Hawaii Car Rental is a good booking site to use. No prepayment or cancel fees. But I don't believe you can book the Marriott location with them.

This is gold. Thanks so much. I reserved a car. One last question if I may. Will we see the hotel from the port or should I look up directions?