Trip to Edinburgh

We have 1 1/2 days in Edinburgh when we go to Scotland for my husband to go golfing. We are staying at Balmoral Hotel. I have hear that we should see the yacht and castle but I don't know what else you could suggest for a full day of sightseeing.

We have 1 1/2 days in Edinburgh when we go to Scotland for my husband to go golfing. We are staying at Balmoral Hotel. I have hear that we should see the yacht and castle but I don't know what else you could suggest for a full day of sightseeing.

Walking dour the Royal Mile there are lots of things to do from the Castle to Holyrood Palace. Also along Princess Street. The Royal Yacht is a bus ride down to Newhaven Harbour. About 20/30 minute ride. Sit upstairs on the bus and see more sites.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It would be helpful to know when you'll be in Edinburgh and also how mobile you are. I am more than happy to help give you some suggestion depending on whether you will need to use public transport or are happy walking.

BTW Dai, sorry but The Royal Yacht Britannia is at Ocean Terminal in leith not at Newhaven Harbour. A #22 bus from the Balmoral takes less than 15 minutes to the terminal.

It is very easy to spend almost a full day at both the Royal Yacht and the Castle.

To try and do them both in one day would mean doing justice to neither.

Whichever you choose get to them for opening time before the crowds arrive. This is particularly the case at the Royal Yacht as space is limited and you won't be able to appreciate it.

It would be helpful to know when you'll be in Edinburgh and also how mobile you are. I am more than happy to help give you some suggestion depending on whether you will need to use public transport or are happy walking.

BTW Dai, sorry but The Royal Yacht Britannia is at Ocean Terminal in leith not at Newhaven Harbour. A #22 bus from the Balmoral takes less than 15 minutes to the terminal.

We are arriving at Leith in mid August (Monday) for a 2 day visit. Day 1 we're planning on visiting the Royal Yacht Britannia late morning after tendering in. Then we'll need transportation to Edinburgh around noon. Does the #22 bus you mentioned have a ramp or lift for the disabled ? I use a mobility scooter. Does the bus run throughout the day and evening, as we plan to see the Tattoo that evening which concludes at 10:30pm ? I know the streets will be crowded with Fringe Festivals but is visiting the Castle and Hollyrood Palace doable and disabled friendly ? We can possibly do one on Day 2.

Thank you for any advice you provide.

We are arriving at Leith in mid August (Monday) for a 2 day visit. Day 1 we're planning on visiting the Royal Yacht Britannia late morning after tendering in. Then we'll need transportation to Edinburgh around noon. Does the #22 bus you mentioned have a ramp or lift for the disabled ? I use a mobility scooter. Does the bus run throughout the day and evening, as we plan to see the Tattoo that evening which concludes at 10:30pm ? I know the streets will be crowded with Fringe Festivals but is visiting the Castle and Hollyrood Palace doable and disabled friendly ? We can possibly do one on Day 2.

Thank you for any advice you provide.

The Royal Yacht is wheelchair accessible with ramps, lifts etc. The Visitors Centre is actually on the top floor of the shopping centre called Ocean terminal, again with lifts. I'd allow 2 hours for the visit.

This is a link to the Lothian buses website with lots of info about accessible buses:

https://lothianbuses.co.uk/about-us/community/accessible-buses

The Castle is difficult for wheelchair users as it is on so many different levels with cobbles. This is a statement from their website about which parts cannot be accessed at all

Areas unsuitable for wheelchair access

Width restrictions make these areas unsuitable for wheelchairs:

• Queen Mary's Room (Royal Palace)
  • King's Dining Room (Royal Palace)
  • St Margaret's Chapel
  • The Crown Jewels exhibition
  • The Military Prisons

Most of these are accessible for more mobile visitors and staff are happy to give advice.

You will even find it difficult moving down the Royal Mile: it is hard to explain how crowded it gets with visitors and buskers and also the surfaces are very very old and very uneven.

If you wanted to visit the Palace of Holyroodhouse, the #35 bus would be best from Ocean Terminall but taxis are plentiful and fairly cheap in Edinburgh so that might be easier. The area around The Castle is pedestrianised and the green and red Hop-on, hop-off buses (from the city centre) get closer than any other but truly a taxi is the best option to get there. I would also pre-book one to pick you up at the end. These mini-cab companies accept pre-booking and are well known. They could also advise best place to meet you in your circumstances.

http://www.capitalcarsscotland.co.uk

http://www.ecph.cab

BTW I assume you've got your tickets for the Tattoo??

Again I've probably made you think of more questions so please come back if you want to.

The Royal Yacht is wheelchair accessible with ramps, lifts etc. The Visitors Centre is actually on the top floor of the shopping centre called Ocean terminal, again with lifts. I'd allow 2 hours for the visit.

This is a link to the Lothian buses website with lots of info about accessible buses:

https://lothianbuses.co.uk/about-us/community/accessible-buses

The Castle is difficult for wheelchair users as it is on so many different levels with cobbles. This is a statement from their website about which parts cannot be accessed at all

Areas unsuitable for wheelchair access

Width restrictions make these areas unsuitable for wheelchairs:

• Queen Mary's Room (Royal Palace)
  • King's Dining Room (Royal Palace)
  • St Margaret's Chapel
  • The Crown Jewels exhibition
  • The Military Prisons

Most of these are accessible for more mobile visitors and staff are happy to give advice.

You will even find it difficult moving down the Royal Mile: it is hard to explain how crowded it gets with visitors and buskers and also the surfaces are very very old and very uneven.

If you wanted to visit the Palace of Holyroodhouse, the #35 bus would be best from Ocean Terminall but taxis are plentiful and fairly cheap in Edinburgh so that might be easier. The area around The Castle is pedestrianised and the green and red Hop-on, hop-off buses (from the city centre) get closer than any other but truly a taxi is the best option to get there. I would also pre-book one to pick you up at the end. These mini-cab companies accept pre-booking and are well known. They could also advise best place to meet you in your circumstances.

http://www.capitalcarsscotland.co.uk

http://www.ecph.cab

BTW I assume you've got your tickets for the Tattoo??

Again I've probably made you think of more questions so please come back if you want to.

Thanks for the prompt reply and links. Looks like it will be taxis for us as the Lothian Bus website specifically specifies, mobility scooters are not allowed on their busses. Many years ago, when I was more mobile, we visited the Castle, so maybe we'll skip that this time and visit the Palace of Holyroodhouse, which we haven't seen before. Currently in contact with the Tattoo ticket office for available disabled seating options. Appears there are still plenty available, but will secure in advance. They also offer a disabled car transit card so the Taxi driver can drive us all the way to the Castle Esplanade for drop-off and pick-up. Great service.

Thanks again.

Hello Tartanexile 81

We will be in Edinburgh tendering in on Aug 14th from the Celebrity Silhouette and staying overnight in the harbor. (same ship as J&B) This is a first visit for my group of 6. We already have booked private transport for 16 people to and from the Royal Mile/Tattoo - picking us up at the docks at 2:30 pm and returning us immediately after the Tattoo ( which we have all purchased tickets for separately)

Would you be kind enough to share your opinion on the following:

I expect it will take 30 minutes or longer to get from the Ocean Terminal into the city due to the traffic in and around the Fringe Festival putting us into the city around 3:00 pm. We have reservations for dinner at the Witchery at 6:00 pm (for 6 of us) and then into the show.

• Reading about the crowds at the Fringe would it be best to have our driver drop us closer to Edinburgh Castle?
  • Do you think 2 hours is long enough or too long to tour the Edinburgh Castle?
  • There are other sights along the Royal Mile that we want to see - St Giles, Grey Friars Kirk, etc - will there be enough time for visiting some of these on this first day or should we just wander around the Fringe?
  • Should I have our transport pick us up earlier than 2:30 pm to allow us more time to wander?

On Day 2 we can be off the ship early, and want to be back to the tender docks by 4:00 pm.

• Would be easiest to take a cab back to Edinburgh and then either use the HOHO or walk about.
  • Is there a HOHO stop near Ocean Terminal and can we start anywhere with pre-purchased vouchers or do we have to get downtown first?

I would like to see St Giles, Grey Friars Kirk, Royal Botanic Gardens and Palace of Holyrood House on that second day - and anything else you suggest. Some of us will likely attempt Arthur's Seat (depending on the weather) and the other's would find something else to see during that time.

We will be in Iverness the day before and will see some of the beautiful country side so it seems that while in Edinburgh we should concentrate on the city although I would like to see Sterling Castle ( I like Castles - can you tell?)

Would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions for our limited time in Edinburgh.

Thanks

Cindi

I can help with Sterling Castle - it is a not-to-miss place! Absolutely incredible! If you find that the queen is at Holyrood and you can't visit, opt for Sterling Castle. I will never forget it!

BTW-good questions. We are doing the same basic thing with Day 1 on a different ship at a different port. Looking forward to what people have to say.

Hello Tartanexile 81

We will be in Edinburgh tendering in on Aug 14th from the Celebrity Silhouette and staying overnight in the harbor. (same ship as J&B) This is a first visit for my group of 6. We already have booked private transport for 16 people to and from the Royal Mile/Tattoo - picking us up at the docks at 2:30 pm and returning us immediately after the Tattoo ( which we have all purchased tickets for separately)

I expect it will take 30 minutes or longer to get from the Ocean Terminal into the city due to the traffic in and around the Fringe Festival putting us into the city around 3:00 pm. We have reservations for dinner at the Witchery at 6:00 pm (for 6 of us) and then into the show.

• Reading about the crowds at the Fringe would it be best to have our driver drop us closer to Edinburgh Castle?
  • There are other sights along the Royal Mile that we want to see - St Giles, Grey Friars Kirk, etc - will there be enough time for visiting some of these on this first day or should we just wander around the Fringe?
  • Should I have our transport pick us up earlier than 2:30 pm to allow us more time to wander?

On Day 2 we can be off the ship early, and want to be back to the tender docks by 4:00 pm.

• Would be easiest to take a cab back to Edinburgh and then either use the HOHO or walk about.
  • Is there a HOHO stop near Ocean Terminal and can we start anywhere with pre-purchased vouchers or do we have to get downtown first?

I would like to see St Giles, Grey Friars Kirk, Royal Botanic Gardens and Palace of Holyrood House on that second day - and anything else you suggest. Some of us will likely attempt Arthur's Seat (depending on the weather) and the other's would find something else to see during that time.

We will be in Iverness the day before and will see some of the beautiful country side so it seems that while in Edinburgh we should concentrate on the city although I would like to see Sterling Castle ( I like Castles - can you tell?)

Would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions for our limited time in Edinburgh.

Thanks

Cindi

As one of Tartanexile81's volunteer colleagues, based at Leith and Newhaven Harbour, allow me to help:

Your ship - Celebrity Silhouette - will be anchored at Newhaven Harbour, an approximately 15 minute tender ride into the harbour area. Any local bus from either Newhaven Harbour (Number's 10, 11 and 16 into the city centre) or from Leith / Ocean Terminal (Numbers 11, 22 into the city centre and 35 to the Royal Mile) will take approximately 30 minutes in August, due to the volume of traffic and especially during peak time - 8-9am and 4-6pm.

The Hop on/off bus which stops at both Newhaven Harbour and Ocean Terminal is the Majestic Tour (a yellow / blue open top bus).

As has previously been mentioned, the crowds in Edinburgh during August cannot be under-estimated. Any driver / taxi will not be able to get you right into the Castle during August, as the Tattoo security and that it's staged on to Castle Esplanade mean that irrespective of your means of transport, you will have a short uphill walk over a cobbled surface to the Tattoo.

The places you mention that you would wish to see, the Hop on/off bus will take you to all those places. I would also recommend Mary King's Close https://www.realmarykingsclose.com/

It's a superb tour.

If you were to get the Hop on/off bus, the Majestic Tour bus would bring you right back to Newhaven Harbour, where the tenders will be waiting.

Should you decide that you wish to avoid the crowds of the city, and wish some suggestions for somewhere a little quieter in August outside the city centre - like Rosslyn Chapel (the Da Vinci Code) or some of the picturesque towns and villages on the East Lothian coast - all perfectly do-able on a day visit - then let us know.

I'm happy to help Cindi and have put my answers in red on your quote below. I hope you enjoy the Tattoo. We've got friends coming to visit so they can go so we're praying for no rain. BTW if anything's not clear in my answers or if you have any more questions come back and I'll try to help.

Hello Tartanexile 81

If your van is dropping you off in the city centre by 3:00 (ish!) and your meal isn't till 6:00 you'll have 3 hours and that would be enough for the Castle. However, it gets very very busy and queues are long in August so for example you might not have time to see the Crown Jewels. It all depends on how many of the rooms you intend visiting. St Giles is a very short distance from the Castle and even closer to the Wychery so it might be possible to have a quick look in there too.

• There are other sights along the Royal Mile that we want to see - St Giles, Grey Friars Kirk, etc - will there be enough time for visiting some of these on this first day or should we just wander around the Fringe

If it's an option to leave the ship a couple of hours earlier I would do that so you could enjoy more on Day 1. For example, if your van dropped you off at the junction of George IV Bridge / Royal Mile you would have a very short walk to Greyfriar's Kirk and Greyfriar Bobby's statue, St Giles, the street entertainment on the Royal Mile and The Castle.

• I would like to see St Giles, Grey Friars Kirk, Royal Botanic Gardens and Palace of Holyrood House on that second day - and anything else you suggest. Some of us will likely attempt Arthur's Seat (depending on the weather) and the other's would find something else to see during that time.

As showingdiva says, you'll actually be at Newhaven, not Ocean Terminal and the Majestic ho-ho bus stops on the main road by the harbour. If you do St Giles and Greyfriars on Day 1, I would recommend the hoho for you to get to the Botanical Gardens and The Palace of Holyroodhouse as it stops at both places which are a long way from each other. From Holyroodhouse you could have a wander up the Royal Mile passing various museums churches and lovely old buildings as well as do some shopping and enjoy lunch in a pub before walking down to the Palace for the bus again. It's a straight street so you won't get lost! In terms of climbing Arthur's Seat it's a long time since I did it, actually when I was a carefree student and usually late at night for some reason - maybe too many wee drams? :D You might find this website useful with your plans

http://www.edinburghspotlight.com/2013/04/photowalk-arthurs-seat-and-holyrood-park-edinburgh/

If you were going to Stirling you would really have to do that on day 2 so it's Edinburgh or Stirling IMO.

Thanks

Cindi

We are arriving at South Queensferry during the Fringe Festival at 8am. We need to drop our luggage at 1-3 Baxter's Place in Edinburgh and take the bus to the Britannia. Would we save time by taking a shuttle to the city from the port instead of the train? Will the bus to the Ocean Terminal come closer to the hotel than going back to Waverly Station? We are spending the night in town and now wonder if it would be better to see the Britannia the next morning in order to get there earlier. I already have the tickets, so would need to see if they would honor them the next day. It is hard to figure this out with the mention of crowds and traffic. We are going to the Tattoo that night, but feel there would be time to have dinner and get there on time. Thank you for all of the help!

We are arriving at South Queensferry during the Fringe Festival at 8am. We need to drop our luggage at 1-3 Baxter's Place in Edinburgh and take the bus to the Britannia. Would we save time by taking a shuttle to the city from the port instead of the train? Will the bus to the Ocean Terminal come closer to the hotel than going back to Waverly Station? We are spending the night in town and now wonder if it would be better to see the Britannia the next morning in order to get there earlier. I already have the tickets, so would need to see if they would honor them the next day. It is hard to figure this out with the mention of crowds and traffic. We are going to the Tattoo that night, but feel there would be time to have dinner and get there on time. Thank you for all of the help!

Hello Galley Slave, It's funny but I was in Edinburgh a few weeks ago and I saw an Italian family staring intently at their street plan. I offered to help and they too were looking for Baxter's Place and until then I didn't know where it was as the hotel was new in 2016.

Are you taking just an overnight bag then? I ask because it's a steep climb uphill from the pier to the railway station and would be difficult with heavy luggage. Having said that Waverley Station is a short walk from your hotel particularly if you use the back exit which opens onto Calton Road - check it out on Google maps. If you got the shuttle bus from Queensferry, you would arrive at the opposite end of Princes Street from your hotel - actually in Charlotte Square. However it would be a short walk down to Princes Street where you could pick up a #22 bus which would take you close to your hotel. Personally I would use the second option. Once you've dropped off your luggage I'd just jump back on another #22 which will take you to Ocean Terminal in around 10 minutes. Traffic will be heavy in that part of town but the worst areas are around the Royal Mile. You would then get back to your hotel on the bus again and still have plenty of time to get ready for the evening IMO.

Hello Galley Slave, It's funny but I was in Edinburgh a few weeks ago and I saw an Italian family staring intently at their street plan. I offered to help and they too were looking for Baxter's Place and until then I didn't know where it was as the hotel was new in 2016.

Are you taking just an overnight bag then? I ask because it's a steep climb uphill from the pier to the railway station and would be difficult with heavy luggage. Having said that Waverley Station is a short walk from your hotel particularly if you use the back exit which opens onto Calton Road - check it out on Google maps. If you got the shuttle bus from Queensferry, you would arrive at the opposite end of Princes Street from your hotel - actually in Charlotte Square. However it would be a short walk down to Princes Street where you could pick up a #22 bus which would take you close to your hotel. Personally I would use the second option. Once you've dropped off your luggage I'd just jump back on another #22 which will take you to Ocean Terminal in around 10 minutes. Traffic will be heavy in that part of town but the worst areas are around the Royal Mile. You would then get back to your hotel on the bus again and still have plenty of time to get ready for the evening IMO.

Thanks for all of your helpful information. We are just taking overnight bags, but your suggestion about the shuttle bus and bus #22 is a good idea. How many GBP do we need for the shuttle and the bus?

Thanks for all of your helpful information. We are just taking overnight bags, but your suggestion about the shuttle bus and bus #22 is a good idea. How many GBP do we need for the shuttle and the bus?

We've not had any ships in this season so far but last year it was £10 or $15 round trip (both currencies accepted) for the shuttle bus.

I'd recommend you buy a day ticket for the #22 which costs £4 pp as opposed to £1.60 per trip. You can pay the driver as you get on using the correct amount or you can get it online, info here https://lothianbuses.co.uk/tickets/ticket-options

Thanks to all for the thoughtful replies!

We will ask our transport company to pick us up at 1:30 pm instead of 2:30 pm. This will allow everyone on our van time to have lunch on the ship, and let all the other people who are in a hurry get off the ship. Our ships itinerary says we port at 9:00 am but according to CruiseForth we will not be in port until 10:15 am so I am thinking the tenders won't begin leaving the ship till after 10:30 am by the time we are cleared by the Harbormaster.

One last question that I was not clear on for our Day 2 - We will take the HOHO Majestic Line right from New Haven Harbour - can we pay when we board, or would we be better off to pre-purchase tickets online? The website says "all tours leave from Waverly Bridge" so I am confused if we can just jump on at Newhaven with pre-paid vouchers.

Thanks again for all you all do to help us tourists!

Cindi

Cindi, yes all the tours leave from Waverley Bridge - the city centre stop- but you can get on at any point on the route and in your case about 200 yards from the ship. And yes, you just pay the driver - absolutely no need to pre-book. Not many people will get off at your stop but it shouldn't be too busy at the time of year you're there.

• 3 weeks later...

I just read all of this thread and we too will be arriving in Edinburgh on Holland America's Konnigsdam Aug 8 at 8 am and won't depart until the following day at 5 pm. There are 4 of us and we have purchased our tickets for the Military Tattoo for Aug 8th already. Three have also purchased tickets for a NOON tour of the Scotish whiskey experience. While the others are at the whiskey tour I plan to check out places of interest nearby so looking for your suggestions. We will be docked at Queensferry so were thinking of coming into the city around 9:30 am and then after the whiskey tour return to the ship for 1-2 hours to rest and get warmer clothes for the night. Do you think that if we leave the ship at 6 will work to get to the Tattoo? Is the Royal yaht located near our port? Thinking we could tour it on day 2 and take Ho Ho around the city. Is public transportation the best way to go for Day one given our plans? I appreciate your help.

I just read all of this thread and we too will be arriving in Edinburgh on Holland America's Konnigsdam Aug 8 at 8 am and won't depart until the following day at 5 pm. There are 4 of us and we have purchased our tickets for the Military Tattoo for Aug 8th already. Three have also purchased tickets for a NOON tour of the Scotish whiskey experience. While the others are at the whiskey tour I plan to check out places of interest nearby so looking for your suggestions. We will be docked at Queensferry so were thinking of coming into the city around 9:30 am and then after the whiskey tour return to the ship for 1-2 hours to rest and get warmer clothes for the night. Do you think that if we leave the ship at 6 will work to get to the Tattoo? Is the Royal yaht located near our port? Thinking we could tour it on day 2 and take Ho Ho around the city. Is public transportation the best way to go for Day one given our plans? I appreciate your help.

Glad you've got your tickets sorted out for the Tattoo. My husband did the Whisky Tour recently and doesn't take that long, about a 50 minutes but he did the silver tour. Other tours take up to 90 minutes. You will obviously have a couple of hours either side of the tour so there's lots you could do in the immediate vicinity. There's the Castle of course, the Camera Obscura, St Giles Cathedral, Greyfriars Kirk and statue of Greyfriars Bobby, Mary King's Close (seeing what life was like in the Middle Ages), the shops along the Royal Mile and good places to eat and drink. These are all within a 5 minutes walk.

In terms of transport and planning your day, the tender takes about 15 minutes to cross to the pier and then you can either take the train, shuttle bus or a taxi into Edinburgh. You could also pre-book a transfer if you prefer - I can give you link for a couple of companies if you want. I've done a couple of threads about using the shuttle bus and using the train

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2046842&highlight=Shuttle+bus+Edinburgh

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2031574&highlight=train+Queensferry

In the evening, there's no shuttle bus but still leaving the ship at 6 sounds fine. Traffic will be a bit calmer by then. There won't be many taxis at the port so either train or private transfer would be your options.

On Day 2 I'm afraid the Royal Yacht is nowhere near your port but if you did the Majestic hop-on, hop-off tour you would get the chance to visit it as well as get a general tour of Edinburgh. The Majestic isn't my favourite tour if you're just trying to see as good flavour of the history of the city. There are 3 tours and I prefer the Edinburgh Tour with shows you the Old Town and New Town. All the hop-on, hop-off buses leave from Waverley Bridge in the city centre and they certainly give you a fair overview

It is however easy to get to the Royal Yacht Britannia from the main railway station or shuttle bus stop and I'd be happy elaborate on this or anything else I've mentioned. Feel free to ask!

Thank you tartanexile81 for the prompt reply. Great to hear that I have lots of options while my husband and the other couple enjoy the whiskey experience. They got the Gold tour so looks like 90 minutes for me to take in other sites. Also, I would very much appreciate links to private transfer companies as this might be pretty cost effective for 4 of us. If you cannot post here I can supply you with my email.

Thank you tartanexile81 for the prompt reply. Great to hear that I have lots of options while my husband and the other couple enjoy the whisky experience. They got the Gold tour so looks like 90 minutes for me to take in other sites. Also, I would very much appreciate links to private transfer companies as this might be pretty cost effective for 4 of us. If you cannot post here I can supply you with my email.

I've posted these details in response to other questions so it should be fine. I've used both companies in the past and they've been reliable.

http://www.capitalcarsscotland.co.uk 0131-777-7777

http://www.ecph.cab 0131-555-5555

When you get off the ship you'll see volunteers on the pier (wearing purple jackets) and they'll be happy to answer any questions you have on the day. There's usually an information desk in the atrium on the ship run by our volunteers too

For you Edinburgh locals....We are scheduled to be in Newhaven (I think) aboard cruise ship Vision of the Seas on a Friday/Saturday in late June. It will be my wife's birthday and I am thinking a "special" dinner at Fishers in Leith. Is that close to where the tender will bring us from the ship? Is there a "better" restaurant in your opinion? Also, you have said some of the local transportation requires exact change, but this is our first stop in the UK, so where might we get the exact currency?

We are thinking of just strolling the Royal Mile during the day and then dinner in the evening. Perhaps a foodie walking tour on day 2. As you can see, we enjoy strolling, seeing the local sites, and visiting local pubs and restaurants, So, any advice along those lines is most welcome. Thank you.

Newhaven sounds right for Royal Caribbean, teacherman. I haven't personally eaten in Fisher's as I'm not a fish-lover. There are however 2 restaurants nearby which I enjoy very much. They're both Michelin starred and do contemporary Scottish food, based on French style. They're The Kitchen and Martin Wishart. For a special occasion I'm sure you'd be happy at either although The Kitchen just edges it for me. I guess they'll be about a mile from the tender port, the same as Fisher's.

The Royal Mile is lined with pubs and restaurants as well as the historic sites so you won't be short of places to drop in for a bite to eat, or a dram. You might be interested in visiting the Scotch Whisky Experience which is close to the Castle at the top of the RM. You would probably also enjoy a stroll round St Giles Cathedral, and wandering up some of the little 'closes' - little alleys tucked back and lined with high apartments where people lived 500 years ago. There are various shops (beware cheap copies of Scottish goods) and also a couple of specialist whisky shops. We like strolling too and there's plenty of people-watching to be done on the Royal Mile. You'll see a highly eclectic mix and there will be street entertainers too.

I'd also recommend a slight detour to climb Calton Hill, at the East end of Princes Street for lovely views of the city centre and various quirky statues and monuments

There's a few foodie tours. Last year we had someone at the port who'd done one along Broughton Street they were pleased with but it depends what you're looking for. Edinburgh is awash with good places to eat and drink so as a food I'm sure you'll love it