What to do in Skagway

merlot1024

We are sailing the Star Princess September 2nd. We have been looking at the White Pass Summit excursion ($80 for both of us) but are now thinking that a car rental might be a better way to go as we would have more time to see things on our own.

For those who have rented a car - where did you go? What is not to be missed? Any recommendations?

Thank you in advance. I didn't even realize a car rental was an option until reading this board.

I would definitely rent a car as opposed to the Summit Excursion.

If you do a search for Murray's Guide and the Yukon you will find a map you can buy inexpensively. Driving to Emerald Lake is a beautiful drive.

I would rent a car ASAP from Avis. They go quickly. If you change your mind, you can cancel.

We will also be on the Star with you! We are traveling with other couples and are on the roll call. Doing Land Tour first. We did the Bus up and rail back to Emerald Lake. Loved it and advised our travel companions to do the same.

We will also be on the Star with you! We are traveling with other couples and are on the roll call. Doing Land Tour first. We did the Bus up and rail back to Emerald Lake. Loved it and advised our travel companions to do the same.

HI JoAnneNYI ! We are on the roll call as well. We are doing the land tour before. Mt McKinley Lodge and then Denali before boarding. What about you?

I am so excited for this cruise. We have wanted to go to Alaska for quite some time and it's finally happening. :)

HI JoAnneNYI ! We are on the roll call as well. We are doing the land tour before. Mt McKinley Lodge and then Denali before boarding. What about you?

I am so excited for this cruise. We have wanted to go to Alaska for quite some time and it's finally happening. :)

You are gonna love it! We start in Fairbanks 8/28 then the lodges....never done a land tour....

I would definitely rent a car as opposed to the Summit Excursion.

If you do a search for Murray's Guide and the Yukon you will find a map you can buy inexpensively. Driving to Emerald Lake is a beautiful drive.

I would rent a car ASAP from Avis. They go quickly. If you change your mind, you can cancel.

You can also rent a jeep from Alaska Green Jeeps as we did. There is a digital (virtual) guide that plays along as you drive, to give you details about important stops. They will also pack you a lunch for you to enjoy, just book this when you book your jeep. I will second that the drive is worth it, the scenery is phenomenal.