Food on a European river cruise - questions, expectations and experiences

notamermaid

Inspired by a recent thread about food on a specific river cruise where I learnt quite a bit about different pancakes and cheesecake I would to start this thread about food.

My thoughts I take away from that thread: Does cooking American food by chefs of all sorts of nationalities work on river cruises? What is local variation and what is simply a wrong statement on the menu, like lobster is lobster and not crab. Can one be compensated for the first scenario at all, or only for the latter?

What does one expect on a river cruise as regards food?

My experience was very good, I allowed for the occasional hiccup in preparation and the fact that I am not adventurous, expecting to be served by a nice waiter and a chef that could work at a popular local restaurant. I was not disappointed.

So, everyone fire away with questions or with anything you might like to share. :)

notamermaid

My first trip is weeks out. I expect I will only order an "American option" if the other offerings were based on meats I will not eat. I have viewed a few menus and thought "uhoh" but know I can always get chicken.

I hope the menu description matches what it is. I won't eat veal, but would be disapointed if I didn't order it and it turned out NOT to be veal but something in place of veal.

My expectation is the food will be good; prepared well; seasoned well; attractively served. I want to look forward to meals, but, I do not expect to be wowed with endless gourmet options. I hope there are regional offerings. I expect there will be "misses"; I do not expect perfection.

I would expect that you would have the option to have regional based entrees and other choices equivalent to a good quality restaurant. That also includes the wine, beer, and even cocktail choice.

Before our Rhine cruise I had never heard of Asbach brandy sold in Rudesheim. Our Avalon ship offered a drink of the day an Asbach sour. I still make it at home and Asbach is very easy to find here in NY. Who knew? Lol

Both Rhine cruise on Avalon and Danube cruise with AMA had Oktoberfest meals with genuine German dishes and beer.

Our Seine cruise with Avalon offered French wine and cheese, and regional dishes.

I have to say I did notice that not everyone chose the regional choices, which is fine. When the food is prepared well, everyone's pleased

On a river cruise, I will eat the regional choices and avoid American foods at all times. I prefer to drink the local wine and not wine from elsewhere as the terroir of the wine and food compliment each other. I don't expect gourmet food - just the normal regional food of the area prepared competently.

As a chef, I always find it interesting how people limit what they will eat. In many cases, it is simply due to a lack of opportunity in their own family. Many families in Texas seem to subsist on beef for just about every meal. I have met many here who have never eaten fish or if they have, they have only had catfish. I have also met people who have never had non-Texas cuisine such as Chinese American food or Indian food. Many Americans don't realize that our food history is actually European. Many famous American foods originated in Europe.

Macaroni and cheese came from Cacio e Pepe - one of the most ancient dishes in Roman cuisine. Cacio e Pepe beget both Mac and Cheese and Fettucini Alfredo (in 1910.) Originally Fettucini Alfredo was simply fettuccine with butter and parmesan. It was not until the 1977 in New York and ( of all places ) Epcot center that "Alfredo" sauce became popular at two restaurants both called Alfredo's. So really, Alfredo sauce is, in fact, American and if you go to Italy and ask for Alfredo sauce, they really won't know what you are talking about.

As a chef, I always find it interesting how people limit what they will eat. In many cases, it is simply due to a lack of opportunity in their own family.

A family member married a man that will not eat in a restaurant that he perceives as "foreign." We visited a Midwest city with all sorts of delicious-sounding options -- middle Eastern, Ethiopian, Thai. Nope. At his insistence, we ate at a chain Buffalo Wild Wings.

Very frustrating.

A family member married a man that will not eat in a restaurant that he perceives as "foreign." We visited a Midwest city with all sorts of delicious-sounding options -- middle Eastern, Ethiopian, Thai. Nope. At his insistence, we ate at a chain Buffalo Wild Wings.

Very frustrating.

Buffalo Wild Wings and this is an adult????!!! I had a look at the menu - I guess I'd order the garden salad and street tacos. What did you wind up ordering?

It used to be that chicken wings were considered "scrap" that no one wanted as there is so little meat. Most were sold to Asian countries - and then in 1964 wings were sold in New York at Anchor Bar in Buffalo in a hot sauce with celery sticks and blue cheese dressing. However, these didn't become nationally famous until the 1990's.

Look, to be honest, cruising in general is an easy and safe way of travel. It's for those who aren't wanting(for whatever reason) to do independent travel. I do love boats and ships and being on the water. But with that comes being at the mercy of whatever cruise type you booked with.

I'm guessing this has to do with Viking offering familiar Americanish foods because they think that is what their customers want.

Cost isn't much of a measure of sophistication, adventure or novelty. So I'm not surprised that a line that caters to English speaking markets thinks that their customers want food that we would recognize.

For me, yes I want local style food and wine, if it's good. Being local doesn't necessarily mean it's good. I can think of all sorts of Continental cuisine that I'm not excited to eat or can be ruined with sloppy preparation.

The first line that came to mind when researching my upcoming Danube cruise was Viking. But they didn't want my young son to come along so I found Croisi. I don't mind if they mostly speak gibberish on board or feed me things I can't pronounce or don't recognize, as long as it's good.

Turns out that booking Croisi means I get the nice side benefit of no hot dogs, hamburgers or BBQ. I actually like all of these things, but don't want them in Europe. Nor do I expect to be drinking Argentine or Californian wine while on the cruise. Might be a bit much to ask them to have Austrian, Croatian, Hungarian and Slovakian wine selections for the days we pass through those countries, but I'd take a beer or hard liquor from places close by if wine couldn't be had.

Regarding the nationality of the chef, I would prefer my chef to be of the nationality of the food he is cooking. But I have no doubt I've been fooled by quality Indian, Philippine and Eastern European chefs on ocean cruises making me pastas, French pastries or whatever.

I grew up with people from Europe, so have a good understanding of their food...to me, it's comfort food. Mind you, there are some things I won't eat, but I am sure I can get along with something. The way I look at the possible menu's on the cruise, if there is something I am not fussy on, it is only a small portion, so can try it to see if I do like it. One thing I will have a problem with is getting used to eating meat that is more on the rare side...as long as it's not bleeding, I'm ok. I don't care for fish (and I grew up where fish is a staple which is probably why I don't), but there seems to be a variety of dishes on the menus, so I am sure I can find something.

As I have only cruised with Scenic I've never had a problem with what to choose to eat. Okay one year there was a slight Brussels sprout problem, soon sorted. There is always a broad choice of food neither focasing on Australian, British, Canadian, New Zealand or American cuisine. They are pretty good at accommodating their guests food choices. One Australian had two lamb chops every morning for breakfast they got them on board especially for him. I enjoy trying different foods from all over the world there are some things I really cannot stomach but occasionally I will try a little again just to check that my taste buds have changed or that the first time I had it it wasn't cooked correctly, scallops are a case in point. Happy eating CA

>Regarding the nationality of the chef, I would prefer my chef to be of the nationality of the food he is cooking. But I have no doubt I've been fooled...

Most people are surprised to learn that the cooks at high-end Continental restos are Mexican.

I can recall when almost all of the cooks at the Catskill Resorts - very good Jewish cooking - were Chinese.

Ira

It is only recently that I have come upon a problem: Shellfish of any sort, St Jacques, oysters, clams, crabs, lobster, shrimp, langoustine, prawns, winkles and sea urchin roe, causes severe inflammation of my feet that lasts for weeks.

Since just about every chef thinks that guests need a minimum of two shellfish dishes at every meal, I have been reduced to pouting - if not outright tears.

Ira

It is only recently that I have come upon a problem: Shellfish of any sort, St Jacques, oysters, clams, crabs, lobster, shrimp, langoustine, prawns, winkles and sea urchin roe, causes severe inflammation of my feet that lasts for weeks.

Since just about every chef thinks that guests need a minimum of two shellfish dishes at every meal, I have been reduced to pouting - if not outright tears.

Ira

Ira, please tell your doctor what happens, this can be a symptom of gout which is easily treatable.

"In towns where the economy is based on fishing, the cases of gout are much more pronounced. This can be caused by the increase of shellfish in their diets. Shellfish contain a moderate amount of purine, but regular consumption could push your body over the edge and cause a gout attack. Shellfish high in purine include lobster, scallops, clams, and crab. Along with fish being high in purine, a varied diet that contains more than just seafood proteins is key."

http://www.activebeat.co/diet-nutrition/10-trigger-foods-for-gout/9/

https://thegoutkiller.com/gout-diet/shellfish/

Most people are surprised to learn that the cooks at high-end Continental restos are Mexican.

I can recall when almost all of the cooks at the Catskill Resorts - very good Jewish cooking - were Chinese.

In NYC, at the present time, the line cooks are largely Ecuadoran, no matter what cuisine the restaurant is serving.

As for food in Europe (or on a European cruise), I'm with the posters who want regional cuisine rather than American food (whatever that is; pemmican, perhaps?). I love trying things I've never had before, though I was sorely tried by a soup I was served in China many years ago that had eyeballs floating in it. (it turned out to be delicious, but it was very unnerving to have dinner looking back at me).

When I was very young, before I learned that Fettucine Alfredo is actually an American creation, I had the worst version of it in my life in Florence, Italy; I could have glued bricks together with the sauce...

Edited by Langoustine

When I travel, I prefer not to eat in any restaurants we have in my home town. I like to try regional specialties but also don't want to eat off the boat unless it's something special not available on the ship. I am a tightwad-I've already paid for meals on the ship so why pay again. When touring there are times when it is just more convenient to eat elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had Chinese food on the Yangtze and Vietnamese and Cambodian food on the Mekong. I would choose a line that serves plenty of local European food on a European river cruise, of course different in the various countries. German and Austrian cuisine has added many Mediterranean ingredients and dishes that have greatly enhanced the original bland farm fare that the immigrants brought to the USA in the 19th century.

DW and I are very adventuresome in general, but when it comes to breakfast the furthest afield we can go is a "full English breakfast." Europeans seem to eat lunch for breakfast: lots of cold cuts -- show me the bacon and eggs!

River cruising does a full English quite well but have yet to see black pudding (yuk) my husband loves it, free range eggs good crispy back bacon and chipolatas not sausages plus tomatoes and mushrooms and maybe if I've been very good a half slice of fried bread. Okay sounds horrendous for the body but can set you up for the day. Years ago finding a link sausage in the USA was nigh on impossible not so now likewise back bacon yes streaky but nothing else. As we travel our likes are taken up across the world well even the French have Sauce Englaise basically real English custard. Vive la difference or a little bit of what you fancy does you good. CA

DH and I enjoy food very much, we consider it our entertainment both at home and in our travels. We have found the food on all of our river cruises to be between good and great. We had a Greek chef on our Viking Paris to Normandy cruise last year that was magnificent, every meal delightful.

I find good food to be good food no matter what nationality. Fresh ingredients, proper seasonings, attractive blending of flavors, cooked for the proper time - this creates good food. From simple to fancy, the same rules apply. I have yet to find a country that does not have good food somewhere.

Our general rule of ordering food is "never go against the house". If I'm at a seafood restaurant, then fish it is; at a steakhouse it's ribeye, in an Indian restaurant is lamb passand, or whatever follows the rule. On Viking, the chef usually pops into the pre dinner lounge and talks about the evening's dishes and usually suggests his highlights for the evening - those are what I generally ordered, and found this to be a good plan.

I grew up with people from Europe, so have a good understanding of their food...to me, it's comfort food. Mind you, there are some things I won't eat, but I am sure I can get along with something. The way I look at the possible menu's on the cruise, if there is something I am not fussy on, it is only a small portion, so can try it to see if I do like it. One thing I will have a problem with is getting used to eating meat that is more on the rare side...as long as it's not bleeding, I'm ok. I don't care for fish (and I grew up where fish is a staple which is probably why I don't), but there seems to be a variety of dishes on the menus, so I am sure I can find something.

I had to chuckle at "as long as it's not bleeding." Last year, at a wonderful trattoria in Florence, we overheard an American at the next table ordering his bistecca fiorentina--which is always served bloody--"well done. And I'd like some A-1 steak sauce with that." The server somewhat icily indicated that that would not be possible. He got his steak (probably a bit less bloody than the chef liked), and he seemed to be enjoying it. My husband and I were horrified by his request--it was sort of "dissing" a pride and joy of Tuscan cookery, and after all, there were many other great things on the menu.

Then, however, I realized that, except for the Venetian liver and onions, I avoid organ meats--"brains and veins" I call them--that are a staple of Italian--and French, I believe--high end cuisine. The answer is to order something else.

From these boards and other sites, it is clear that the best river cruise chefs are conscious of their audience and largely serve local items adapted to customers' tastes. But with thousands of cruisers it is truly the case that "there's no accounting for taste"--in this case literally.

Oh. . .and I don't think I would have done too well with that eyeball soup either!

Years ago, we stopped at a somewhat fancy restaurant in Paris for lunch and were totally stumped by the French menu and a server who didn't speak English. A nearby couple was eating what appeared to be a beef patty of some sort with a sauce. We gestured at that and indicated we wanted the same thing. The server pointed at the menu to some French words and we just nodded "yes, please."

The meal was good, though the meat was just....different. We chalked it up to cows eating different grains in France.

Later that day we were walking through a neighborhood and pondered why a butcher shop had cartoons and logos all with horses. And....that word on the sign...it looked familiar. It hit us like a ton of bricks, the butcher was for for horse meat -- we had eaten HORSE at the restaurant! GAK!

I am all for trying regional foods but I shy away from mystery meat.

Years ago, we stopped at a somewhat fancy restaurant in Paris for lunch and were totally stumped by the French menu and a server who didn't speak English. A nearby couple was eating what appeared to be a beef patty of some sort with a sauce. We gestured at that and indicated we wanted the same thing. The server pointed at the menu to some French words and we just nodded "yes, please."

The meal was good, though the meat was just....different. We chalked it up to cows eating different grains in France.

Later that day we were walking through a neighborhood and pondered why a butcher shop had cartoons and logos all with horses. And....that word on the sign...it looked familiar. It hit us like a ton of bricks, the butcher was for for horse meat -- we had eaten HORSE at the restaurant! GAK!

I am all for trying regional foods but I shy away from mystery meat.

Don't eat any meat in China, then. Pretty sure I ate dog.

Don't eat any meat in China, then. Pretty sure I ate dog.

In Mexico you have a pretty good chance of eating goat and/or ant eggs. In South America, Guinea Pig is popular. In Italy, you might get Casu Marzu - which is cheese with maggots inside (on purpose).