I love progresso

slugo

3 reasons why progresso is my favorite place to go:

1) Double Decker Bus!!!!!

2) $1 Bottles of Beer

3) Inexpensive Massages

Where's the $1 beers? We always take time to do that in Cozumel, but wont have time this go around ... maybe we can do that in Progreso!

You will take the free shuttle bus from the dock area to the middle of town. The double decker bus will be at the same point where you get off the free shuttle. Tickets for the double decker are $3.00 per person. They will take you on a tour of the town and return to where you started. Its a fun little tour. We just got back from Progreso. Had a great time. If you want to buy souvenirs they will be much cheaper in Progreso than Cosumel. Progreso is not a tourist town.

The DD bus does about a 20-30 min. tour around the area of Progresso and down by the beach. It's definitely worth $3 pp. I'm not sure about getting on or off during the tour. Maybe others will chime in on that. We started out sitting on the bottom, but when we stopped at the $1 Corona beer stop, we moved up top. You can see so much more from the top. I wished the tour was even longer than it was. The guide did a really good job (gave him a tip). We asked around to find out where to catch the bus, but the communication wasn't very good. They had just recently moved their location from ??? to the back of a market in town. We finally found it. It was in the back of the "Bazar De Artesanias". Look for a bright yellow arched front (although there seemed to be several buildings that are bright yellow or green...lol...). We went thru the archway to the back and the buses were stationed there.

ENJOY... :)

• 2 months later...

I remember the good old days when you could get $1 Coronas on the malecon. Now you have to get off of the beaten path for cheap beer.

To be honest the best bargains are several blocks farther into town. If you want the best prices you need to shop where the locals shop. You can bet your sweet and sour Bippy that they don't pay $2 for a beer.

12oz bottles or a mini bottle? Is this stop a bar or just a vendor selling it?

They are 12 oz bottles..its kinda like a take out place that the bus pulls right up in front of and you order at a window.

I remember the good old days when you could get $1 Coronas on the malecon. Now you have to get off of the beaten path for cheap beer.

To be honest the best bargains are several blocks farther into town. If you want the best prices you need to shop where the locals shop. You can bet your sweet and sour Bippy that they don't pay $2 for a beer.

And you would lose that sweet and sour Bippy because locals do pay $2 or more for a beer. It always depends on the place. The cheapest beer is in some pretty nasty places that only a loco local would be in. I had a beer today at Eladios in Progreso and it was around 3 bucks. But you get a great round of snacks with that beer. And if you order another beer, more snacks.

here is a picture taken from the bus

Thanks for sharing. I thought it might like a beach club you could hang out at. So, do any of the beach clubs there have bucket specials? In Costa Maya we used to get 5 dos equis for $10 US. Most include free chips and salsa.

• 2 weeks later...

You can bet your sweet and sour Bippy that the locals don't drink Coronas. They think of Corona as something that goes outside the board's posting rules.

Try a Pacifico, Negra Modelo, Bohemia w silver foil (almost a bock) gold foil is a lager or Presidente. See the look of a local if you offer to buy them a Corona to drink.

• 10 months later...

have never done a "tour" will have to try the double decker bus on our upcoming cruise. was considering an AI but since we're doing that in Cozumel we'll get some cheap goodies on the beach and probably end up buying some dvds in a foreign language, we always seem to LOL the best one yet was "the expendables" in Russian with French subtitles...sucker HAHA

• 2 weeks later...

So is Eladios a good place to eat in Progresso. We went to Buddy's last year. Want to try something different this year, and we'll have kids ranging from 5 to 14.

Somewhere close to the beach and the straw market ect. We plan on just walking around and shopping and stopping to eat somewhere. Any place that has good food but also has some gringo food for the picky kids.

Archived