Le Boreal

Friscorays

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just returned from a fabulous Antarctica trip on Le Diamant. Le Boreal is owned by same company and will replace Le Diamand for Antarctica. Captain Garcia the former captain of Le Diamand will be captain of Le Boreal. He has extensive Antarctic experience. The ships of Ponant give first class service.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with thomastoo . i was on the fab Le Diamant antarctica trip Dec 23rd to jan 5th 2010. Same super amazing captain Garcia. Cruise was absolute magic including first time ever special New years Eve zodiac landing and champagne celebration on an iceberg in the Weddell sea and a sail around/three hour landing on Cape Horn.

• 2 weeks later...

It does indeed look beautiful. More shaped like a private yacht than a cruise ship or expedition ship, and the interiors look very stylish. The only drawback I might have concerns about is the passenger capacity. I hear Le Boreal carries somewhere around 250 passengers. Since the Antarctic Treaty limits landings to 100 at a time, it seems like each passenger will not get to spend as much time at each stop, as they will have to rotate.

On the PA II, our particular sailing was lucky in that we only had 99 passengers on the trip. So we all got to maximize our time on land at every stop. Still, as pretty as Le Boreal is, I just might be tempted by her for the next Antarctic visit!

We are booked on the December 18 sailing. Yes, pricey. Should be an amazing trip. Soooo looking forward to it.

The brochure pix of the ship are awesome.

A&K had a great staff on the Minerva this year. You will have a great time!

• 4 weeks later...

@pke-atlanta: A&K has limited the number of passengers on Le Boreal to 199 on its Antarctic sailings - so we'll have plenty of landing time and even more space on board this ultra-luxurious expedition vessel.

@Friscorays: The pool is heated, so I expect it will be a delight to have on an Antarctic sailing.

@laurelhollow: See you onboard, we're on the same sailing!

P.S. Le Boreal set sail on her maiden cruise yesterday, from Marseilles to Nice, France. http://www.travelweekly.com/article3_ektid214164.aspx

@pke-atlanta: A&K has limited the number of passengers on Le Boreal to 199 on its Antarctic sailings - so we'll have plenty of landing time

They had only 200 passengers on the Minerva too this year. You will be divided into 2 groups for the landings and you will alternate who goes first morning and afternoon, and each day. Only 100 are allowed on land at any time.

Neat!

We will be in Buenos Aires for two days prior to the schlep down to Ushuaia. Looking forward to the trip. Just hope we don't have some of the extreme weather that had been reported in some of the reviews. :eek:

• 1 month later...
We are booked on the December 18 sailing. Yes, pricey. Should be an amazing trip. Soooo looking forward to it.

The brochure pix of the ship are awesome.

@pke-atlanta: A&K has limited the number of passengers on Le Boreal to 199 on its Antarctic sailings - so we'll have plenty of landing time and even more space on board this ultra-luxurious expedition vessel.

@Friscorays: The pool is heated, so I expect it will be a delight to have on an Antarctic sailing.

P.S. Le Boreal set sail on her maiden cruise yesterday, from Marseilles to Nice, France. http://www.travelweekly.com/article3_ektid214164.aspx

I would love to hear about both of your experiences when you get back!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi - hope you are still on for this sailing. Sadly, my husband died two weeks ago so I will be doing the expedition alone. Figured that I won't know my health status next year and this was on the bucket list.

looking forward to a truly amazing expedition. sad, but what he would have wanted.

Thank you. It was a difficult decision but decided it would be a good one.

Are you guys going to be in Buenos Aires early? I will be arriving the day before the group meeting. Want to find a guide and do a exploration. I am in contact with the Argentinian community in the New York area and am looking for a good guide. If you will be there on Friday and are interested in touring give me a shout-out.

So sorry for your loss, laurelhollow. Yes, we are still on this sailing - counting the days. I'm sure your decision to go on the expedition alone was difficult.

See you onboard! ---Randy & Pam

We have been to Buenos Aires before, so we probably won't go with the group. What did you have in mind? I sent you a "friend" request so that we may discuss this privately.

Are you guys going to be in Buenos Aires early? I will be arriving the day before the group meeting. Want to find a guide and do a exploration. I am in contact with the Argentinian community in the New York area and am looking for a good guide. If you will be there on Friday and are interested in touring give me a shout-out.

Um - never got a 'friend' request. can you send again?

Will be getting a private guide for the day. She will formulate a day for what I want in terms of interest.

She suggested a private visit with a tango dancer, lesson, and evening with the group. Something like that. :) Contact me if interested.

We have been to Buenos Aires before, so we probably won't go with the group. What did you have in mind? I sent you a "friend" request so that we may discuss this privately.

The direct booking rates for the 2011-2012 Antarctica season on the Le Boreal and her new sister ship, the L'Austral, are now up on the Ponant site. They are much less expensive than the Tauck and A & K 2010-2011 season rates; so if you are interested in Antarctica, they certainly rate a look.

Part of the difference might be in the tour part of the A&K and Tauck prices.

They do shepherd their people about.

That being said - bummer we signed up for this year.

The direct booking rates for the 2011-2012 Antarctica season on the Le Boreal and her new sister ship, the L'Austral, are now up on the Ponant site. They are much less expensive than the Tauck and A & K 2010-2011 season rates; so if you are interested in Antarctica, they certainly rate a look.

Part of the difference might be in the tour part of the A&K and Tauck prices.

They do shepherd their people about.

That being said - bummer we signed up for this year.

There should be no difference in the tours (i.e. landings) in Antarctica. Last year the prices from A&K were higher than Swan Hellenic's on the Minerva but no difference in the experience!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived