Awkward Moment I Hope I Never Have

PhxRain

Has anyone here ever gotten into an arguement or nasty exchange with another CC member on the general boards, then booked a cruise, headed to the roll call board only to discover that you & your nemesis are on the same cruise?

How would you handle it?

Would you try to smooth things over on the roll call or onboard the ship or just ignore them on the boards & ship?

It has never happened to me. In fact, I have never had a problem here on CC. But, if I did and found that person on my roll call, I would just ignore them. It would be my choice not to participate in meet and greet or any other activities of the roll call. I hope it didn't happen to you.:(

It has never happened to me. In fact, I have never had a problem here on CC. But, if I did and found that person on my roll call, I would just ignore them. It would be my choice not to participate in meet and greet or any other activities of the roll call. I hope it didn't happen to you.:(

No, thankfully, has not happened to me. When I first came to CC in 2010 there were quite a few heated debate threads going on & some got nasty. Not noticing that as much this time around, which is nice. But it got me thinking, what if the person you were being nasty to, or being nasty to you, was on the roll call & cruise with you?

No, thankfully, has not happened to me. When I first came to CC in 2010 there were quite a few heated debate threads going on & some got nasty. Not noticing that as much this time around, which is nice. But it got me thinking, what if the person you were being nasty to, or being nasty to you, was on the roll call & cruise with you?

I'm glad to know it was just a curiosity, not a bad experience. Generally, the people here on CC or very friendly and helpful. :D

No, but if I did I'd go right up to them and introduce myself. I won't say anything on these boards that I won't say to someone's face, and it's mostly nice....but onceeee in awhile someone gets under my skin a little bit but I have no problem talking to them face to face, in fact I invited one that's up coming on my next cruise. So we'll see.

First off, I simply don't understand how people can get so emotional as to have a nemesis on here. I have been off of cc for a couple years, and things are definitely more tame now.

I got flamed for things, but didn't let it anger me. People can be very bold and weird through the anonymity of cc, but would probably be ok in person.

To the contrary, I have met up with and even done excursions with people from cruise critic, though I never really hung around with them on board outside of the excursions or meet and greet.

I get along pretty much with everyone here. I enjoy chatting with others and try and be as helpful as I can. I don't have any enemies (as far as I know :cool:), but if I did, I wouldn't feel weird about meeting them.

I say what's on my mind whether it's on here or in person. If they don't like it, oh well. I would be more than happy to rehash any heated discussions in person if they brought it up. A lot of times people act all big and tough on here and then quickly back off once confronted face to face.

But I think for the most part, everyone is decent. The only ones that really stick out in my mind that I at the time I wanted to wring their necks would never be caught dead on a Carnival Cruise anyway, so slim chance of meeting them! Oh, and the people that believe in not giving the crew their wages (aka tips) for whatever lame excuse that makes them feel OK in being cheap. Yes, that's exactly what you are - cheap. Period. End of discussion. For those people, I would like to throw you overboard. Everyone else, let's party on!

P.S. I am ALWAYS right. Just ask DH :D

I get along pretty much with everyone here. I enjoy chatting with others and try and be as helpful as I can. I don't have any enemies (as far as I know :cool:), but if I did, I wouldn't feel weird about meeting them.

Same as above! :)

Also, if someone says something ugly to me, I just don't respond. It takes two to have a conflict. ;)

LuLu

~~~

HA!:eek: I did find myself in that exact situation a few years back with a NCL cheerleader extraordinaire. I just smiled and listened to a message board blow hard continue on being a blow hard in person. The amazing part of it was this person was pampered and given suite benefits as she bossed the staff around like she was royalty! Lesson learned: It can pay to be the biggest cheerleader of a cruise line on a message board! Me, I'd rather be honest in my assessments.

Has anyone here ever gotten into an arguement or nasty exchange with another CC member on the general boards, then booked a cruise, headed to the roll call board only to discover that you & your nemesis are on the same cruise?

How would you handle it?

Would you try to smooth things over on the roll call or onboard the ship or just ignore them on the boards & ship?

No, but we did quit our last roll call. There were several groups traveling together and I felt more like a third wheel then part of the fun. We've had an awesome, amazing roll call group, an okay, good to meet you, group, and then one I just never felt comfortable with.

There was a big to-do here a couple of years ago where a person was physically threatened, hence the rule of no Facebook groups. And I've seen power struggles a few times between self-appointed group "leaders" that have gone way overboard.

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

Fortunately in my brief time here, only four folks..and I can't remember their handles because the threads were deleted..attacked us for accepting the random free cruise.

We were deemed unworthy, as they were Super Privledged Diamond Tanzanite or whatever.....and because we were rewarded and they werent, three of the four said they would never, ever, ever cruise Carnival again, so I wont have to worry about seeing them this spring.

...then booked a cruise, headed to the roll call board only to discover that you & your nemesis are on the same cruise?...

It's at this point when you decide to reveal or not reveal yourself to him/her. You both can absolutely go on the same cruise and neither of you is any the wiser. The Roll Call and the Meet and Greet (whatever your line calls it) is not the be all and end all, and we have certainly enjoyed many cruises without being involved in either. Just saying. :D

I cannot believe how many people sign up for the meet and mingle and then once the day arrives, how few do go (In my previous 4 cruises about 50-60% turn-out).

What-ever, we go and it is nice meeting and putting faces to CC names.

Sea Ya

Ive had some people jump on me over at the Carnival forums, for various reasons but mainly due to their own bigotry. Thankfully most of them are a friendly bunch.Forums always have certain types.

If they were on my cruise/roll call and recognised me I doubt theyd have the guts to say it to my face.

Thankfully both the roll calls I have been on have been wonderful and helpful.

I don't know why people want to participate in "cabin crawls" and have everyone know which cabin they are in. Just doesn't make good sense to me. We wouldn't give our room number out to strangers in a hotel on land, why do it on a cruise ship?

I've only had a couple incidents. One, after embarking I witnessed a person from our roll call being very rude to staff, not once but twice. I knew who it was since they had their screen name emblazoned on their carry on. I didn't go to the M & G, it was a small ship and I didn't want to be associated with her. Unfortunately, I didn't get to meet the people I wanted to meet and found out after the cruise she didn't attend the M & G either.

Another time I met up with the two women who organized the roll call stuff. I wouldn't give out my cabin number, they weren't happy about that, oh well. By the end of the week, those two had gotten into a fight, hated each other and wanted everyone to know about it. I got cornered and heard all the gossip each time one of them would see me. Not what I want to listen to on my vacation. Was I ever glad I didn't make my cabin number available :p

I will go to the M & G, meet a few people and say Hi! during the week, but unless something really clicks, we pretty much stay to ourselves and the family/friends we are cruising with.

The very few times over the years when I have had conflict with another CC'r, it has never been on a roll call. I typically don't get too involved in any type of altercation. Many times people misunderstand a post and some are really a little too sensitive. You can't read tone in postings, I have found when people may use humor there are always some who get offended. When I do disagree, I try my best to not get personal.

Edited by Happy ks

Roll Calls and M&Gs are funny things. Some are wonderful in sharing info and setting up shore excursions etc. Some are boring where nobody wants a job - and that's OK too. Some roll calls end up being split into factions who fight each other, with one group trying to run the whole thing.

I found that the ones that work best are those where everyone pitches in and shares info. I have made great friends on roll calls and over the years we have cruised together, shared births and deaths, weight loss and gains, surgeries, retirements etc. I go to M&G's to meet a few people who have peeked my interest from the roll call. It would be impossible to meet everyone on a large roll call......and then there are those who you don't want to meet at all.:)

I cannot believe how many people sign up for the meet and mingle and then once the day arrives, how few do go (In my previous 4 cruises about 50-60% turn-out).

What-ever, we go and it is nice meeting and putting faces to CC names.

Sea Ya

Sue .... Many people post on the Roll Calls to chat with others before the cruise -- doesn't mean they will attend the M&G.

When someone on the Roll Call sets up a M&G, I try to go but I sometimes don't for various reasons.

LuLu

~~~

How would you handle it?

Meh. IMO calling anyone on a message board your nemesis is giving them too much significance or importance. They are simply, and only, a person that you either disagree with on a certain subject, or are (after seeing many of their posts on a variety of threads) the type of person you would not choose to associate with.

Regardless, if I found such a person on my roll call, I would just ignore them, both on the roll call, and at the meet and greet. No one is forced to interact with anyone.

Well you would know as they would surely post on the rollcall. I say avoid the rollcall.

How would you handle it?

I had an 'awkward' exchange on here reguarding a question I posted a few weeks back.

Sure enough, that person was in my roll call. :eek:

I've let it go and made no mention of it in the roll call. Life it too short. Things can sometimes be misinterpreted in a post.

It's all good:cool:

We think that if folks are going to get upset over posts on a public bulletin board (like CC) they need to take stock of themselves and perhaps stop going online and participating in blogs. Some might just say "get a life." CC is just a place for folks to share their experiences, questions, advice, etc. No need to ever get into an "argument" or let anything here get you upset

Hank

Well you would know as they would surely post on the rollcall. I say avoid the rollcall.

I meant meet and greet.

However, as other have said,unless the person threatened you in some way you can go anyway and just not take up any fight they try to start.

I have read of much worst here like people running into their exes or their co-worker or neighbor who was with someone that was not their SO. Now that would be akward-lol!

I have contributed quite frequently to these boards and have never had an issue with comments made on Cruise Critic that would keep me away from a Meet and Greet. On the other hand we did have a situation a few years ago at a Meet and Greet that was organized on Cruise Critic. "The One Who Must Obeyed" and I cruise once or twice a year and always attend the Meet and Greets as it is a good diversion on a sea day and it is nice to match names with faces.

We were among the first to arrive at the Meet and Greet and chatted with a few folks who were already present including the person who had organized it. In the normal chit chat, she noticed that we were from New Hampshire and commented on how it must be interesting to see all of the presidential candidates. We agreed and were ready to leave it at that and did not wish to have a political discussion. Then, this fellow passenger who had organized the get together said out of the blue (and I am paraphrasing here), the Secret Service is doing too good of a job of protecting the president because no one has shot him yet!

We just stood there with our mouths open and could not believe that anyone would make such an inappropriate remark. We chose not to respond, but just walked away and started chatting with some other couples. We saw this individual a couple more times on the cruise and avoided her at all costs. If in the future, we see through Cruise Critic that we will be on the same cruise with her, and she is organizing another Meet and Greet, we shall avoid it like the plague.