Terry Breen

Travelcat2

On the Oceania board, there is a rumor (started by a newbie to Cruise Critic) stating that Regent (and Oceania) will no longer have "Destination Experts" on board and specifically mentioned Terry. Since she has been on Regent for years, I wondered if anyone on this board would have any information!

Have been enjoying the travel blog http://www.elegantsufficiency.org/blog/?currentPage=2

where Terry Breen is mentioned several times as she is currently on board the Mariner. I sincerely hope that Regent continues to have Destination Lecturers as Terry especially is one of the best.

As we will be boarding the Mariner in Buenos Aires we hope she will still be giving her excellent talks and really look forward to seeing her again.

Have been enjoying the travel blog http://www.elegantsufficiency.org/blog/?currentPage=2

where Terry Breen is mentioned several times as she is currently on board the Mariner. I sincerely hope that Regent continues to have Destination Lecturers as Terry especially is one of the best.

As we will be boarding the Mariner in Buenos Aires we hope she will still be giving her excellent talks and really look forward to seeing her again.

Was just told by someone on the Oceania board that the link is to an old Terry Breen blog. Still, the news that she is onboard the Mariner is good news! Thanks for sharing that.

tallship: While you may not be qualified as a destination expert, you would be great as an onboard lecturer. Wish you would pursue it:)

I believe Terry is staying on the Mariner until Buenos Aires, but from there, I don't know. She mentioned in one of her excellent presentations that she has a home in Uruguay. Will that mean she'll stay on till Barcelona? Your guess is as good as mine, and since we are now in Lima, I'm sorry but I can't ask her.

I'm pleased you enjoyed reading my blog. It was a terrific cruise - Mariner is such a happy ship, we found!

Gilly

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently on Voyager (Sydney to Beijing) and have enjoyed John Talbot, the destination lecturer on board. He really knows his stuff and provides good insights on the history and best sites to visit while in port. All of the lectures in Constellation Theater have been packed.

Sadly John has left the ship today in Hong Kong at the end of a segment and will not be replaced ...we will not have a port lecturer going forward. I wonder if this change applies to Terry as well? Can someone onboard the Mariner ask her?

This is such a shame to hear. I met Terry five years ago on the first Discovery Collection cruise. She boarded in Cape Town and we attended every lecture for two segments. What a treat she is. She won't be unemployed for long, some other ship will scoop her up.

Too bad to hear that Regent/Oceania is discontinuing these wonderful, insightful lecturers. They certainly add to the cruise experience.

It doesn't sound like they are being discontinued at all. Terry wouldn't typically do a transatlantic journey which is what the Mariner is doing next. She will probably pick up the Navigator in the Spring when it begins the Alaska season. Destination Lecturers change all the time. My concern (and reason for starting this thread) was because there was a rumor on Oceania that Destination Lecturers would no longer be on Oceania. I have not heard or read anything that would lead me to believe that the rumor is true -- either on Oceania or Regent.

This would be a really good opportunity for FDR to jump in and put this "rumor" to rest!

IMHO :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Since this "rumor" has been around for about a month perhaps, the lack for any Regent response is actually a silent acknowledgement that is true??

This would be a really good opportunity for FDR to jump in and put this "rumor" to rest!

IMHO :-)

I would think that FDR has better things to do than address unsubstantiated rumors. I read the Silversea and Seabourn boards as well as Regent's. It is very rare for any top executive to post on Cruise Critic. When they do, it tends to be regarding something significant. FDR does tend to pop up on the Oceania boards occasionally but have not noticed him there lately (perhaps the upcoming IPO is keeping him busy). Mr. Kamlani is generally the executive that posts on Regent.

Again, I started this thread to learn if anyone who may possibly know Terry or was currently onboard with her might respond. Obviously no one knows so we'll have to wait and see. If I wanted to sail in Alaska and would only do so if Terry were on board, I'd contact Regent.

I would think that FDR has better things to do than address unsubstantiated rumors.

If I wanted to sail in Alaska and would only do so if Terry were on board, I'd contact Regent.

Ya know what! Your right TC, but this is such a simple request for information.

I know for sure that Regent/Oceania has someone in charge of "Social Media" ie. Facebook, Twitter, and yes even Cruise Critic!!! How hard can it be for somebody, actually anybody to "Pop" in and provide an answer to a simple question!

And yes, IMO I don't believe that is asking too much.....

As I posted on this thread just under a month ago, Terry is scheduled to return to the Navigator in late May (May 28, to be exact). Learned this from an officer aboard the Navigator who is a good friend of hers.

Talked to one of the "drop in" entertainers who said that bookings were reduced due to the entertainment budget being cut dramatically. Also received confirmation that the destination lecturers are no longer get their daily stipend ($250 per day), but can still work for a free cruise cabin, just no pay. That sucks if being a destination lecturer is your profession.

Why the cost cutting all of the sudden? IPO?

Hi tallship, On my present cruise we had a 4.5 hour excursion in Hong Kong that was included an hour stop at a "jewelry factory"... This amounted to a shake down in a Jewelry showroom, no craftsman in sight making jewelry.

Clearly, you get what you pay for. I'm just trying to figure out what's up.

Hi tallship, On my present cruise we had a 4.5 hour excursion in Hong Kong that was included an hour stop at a "jewelry factory"... This amounted to a shake down in a Jewelry showroom, no craftsman in sight making jewelry.

Thank you for that type of info. Was that an "included" excursion or an extra cost trip? Were most people mad/annoyed at this stop? How did things get handled upon your return to the ship?

Same thing happened to us on an excursion in Ephesus years ago. before the bus got us back to the ship it stopped at a rug making store and what a high pressure sales pitch. We simply got up and left and made our way back to the Ship. Once on board we lodged a complaint with the destinations desk and enjoyed the rest of the cruise. Don't know what became of it and wasn't interested enough to follow up. Just a minor hiccup (and something we laughed about) in an otherwise great cruise.

My response was to your comment about destination lecturers not excursions

It is often tough to control everything that goes on during local excursions although they should