What to bring to wear on Alaskan cruise in June?

bamasherri

We are taking a cruise to Alaska in late June and want to know what we should bring to wear. We know it is best to dress in "layers" but some help as to how "heavy", "how light" or how many layers would be great. Also what the weather might be. This is our first trip to Alaska and only our second cruise. We are cruising on the NCL Pearl.

Shorts could be worn during late June during the day, but it cools off enough at night to wear a sweater on the ship. On shore excursions up in the mountains and on the glaciers a sweater and/or a light jacket will be sufficient. There is no need for heavy winter coats. Since it does rain a bit a light raincoat or a water resistance light coat should be packed. Dress in layers for the cooler days. Cool, but not cold. But on a sunny day temperatures could reach eighty. As for leg wear slacks or jeans will be enough. Don't forget the undies. I wore a light coat on shore excursions without a sweater, but found a sweater handy on the ship.

We did the dog sled excursion with our grandson. It was fantatic. Grandson enjoyed seeing the pups, and also the ride istself. Lots of information on the iditarod.

It was quite rainy, and misty that day, and lot's of mud if I remember correctly, but still awesome.

I have to laugh at this post...my friend Frank just ordered 2 pair of long underware. He's always cold, and we live in Palm Springs, Ca. Even today in the high 90's he is wearing a sweatshirt and a jacket.

We will be on the July 4th Star Cruise.

Sandy

The idea behind "dressing in layers" is so you can take off -- or put on -- layers as needed. We've been to Alaska in mid June and it's been lovely...except on deck, glacier watching, when it was down-right chilly and we needed another sweater, and wished we'd brought gloves. Holding binoculars was downright chilly. And on a couple of days it felt fine onshore..until we went around a corner of a building and got "hit" with wind, and had to pull the sweaters out of our backpacks once again.

Shorts are good if you're accustomed to wearing shorts...but be aware that it can get chilly and/or rainy at a moment's notice. I'd suggest long pants (jeans are fine and are real common wear in Alaska), and indeed a rain coat or poncho.

It depends where you are going...We did a Vancouver to Anchorage in late June and had all types of weather. Ketchikan..my boys wore shorts, I had jeans and a light sweater. Juneau..whale watching, needed heavy jackets and gloves, started a cool rain in the afternoon while we were hiking off the tram. tossaway rain ponchos came in handy. Skagway, we kayaked. It was sunny but cold and we had our jackets on. Glacier Bay..had to wear my snowboarding jacket, gloves and a hat out on deck. The wind was coooollllddd. College Fjord was the same. Anchorage, T-shirt and jeans was fine... my advice, bring a little of everything

I have to laugh at this post...my friend Frank just ordered 2 pair of long underware. He's always cold, and we live in Palm Springs, Ca. Even today in the high 90's he is wearing a sweatshirt and a jacket.

We will be on the July 4th Star Cruise.

Sandy

we'll keep things ship-shape for you:), we've got our long johns ready to go too;)

We are going on an Alaskan cruise the first week of June and going to bring 3 in 1 jackets that have a fleece lining and windbreaker lining. That way we can use the jacket 3 ways for different weather. Going to bring Cuddle-Duds top layer for the Glacier tour day.

I think your weather should be milder but the first week of June might be alot cooler for us.

Being from So FL, were were always cold on the Pearl. Went in mid May--never wore shorts.. When in Glacier Bay we wore winter coats, hats, gloves and had those little hand pocket warmers to stay warm. All we did was laugh about what big babies we were. LOVED the pearl. Have a great time.

We went to Alaska last sept. It was very wet and cold. I did spend a lot time on deck. if you are up in the front. There is 2 glass sheilds. It is great there. I did stay there a lot. not too bad. I wish you all a great trip and enjoy it. It is a GREAT trip.

Peg

We went on the Pearl to Alaska June 17-24, 2007. Wore jeans every day, and in port usually wore a t-shirt and a fleece jacket. Sometimes took off the jacket. That was it, every day. Didn't do any really exciting/strenuous port excursions (no kayaking, no dogsleds), so I can't say about that.

The weather was wonderful. Sunny every port day, cloudy the day we were in Glacier Bay (which is better for glacier-watching, from what I hear--brings out the blue in the glaciers). In Glacier Bay, we wore stocking caps and gloves to go with the fleece jackets.

Didn't have a bad day during the entire trip.

--Michael

We did the dog sled excursion with our grandson. It was fantatic. Grandson enjoyed seeing the pups, and also the ride istself. Lots of information on the iditarod.

It was quite rainy, and misty that day, and lot's of mud if I remember correctly, but still awesome.

We went in June and where we did our dog sled excursion we took a helicopter to get there and there was lots of snow. They provided us with boots I think. No need for a winter coat though. I just had my raincoat and wore a warmer top underneath.

Archived