Door vs wall decorating

kdinkus1

Has door decorating become more popular on cruise ships? Have you done it and/or been in a contest? It seems to me that wall decorating is more prevalent on today's cruise ships. When I made a comment about this very thing on a 'door decorating' site, 95% of the posters felt: 'Door decorating is fine... Wall decorating was 'too much'.

Though I am a door decorator, I am thinking about doing a small portion of the wall next to the door but haven't made up my mind yet for my next cruise. Thankfully, over the years, we have found ways to hang our items so that no damage is done to the walls or the doors. And I have no doubt that everyone is respectful in cleaning their space up before they disembark. None of us want to add more work for our cabin stewards or take the chance that this 'privilege' will be taken away by Carnival.

"What say you?"

I wish all decorators were as responsible as you are. That said, I'm no fan of door decorating and it one feels the need to also decorate the adjacent wall has far does this go? Both sides of the corridor? Magnetic stick-ons for the ha;lway ceiling as well? Why the need to let everyone who walks past your cabin know that it is your own special place?

This thread makes me grateful that this practice is not done on my preferred cruise line.

Has door decorating become more popular on cruise ships? Have you done it and/or been in a contest? It seems to me that wall decorating is more prevalent on today's cruise ships. When I made a comment about this very thing on a 'door decorating' site, 95% of the posters felt: 'Door decorating is fine... Wall decorating was 'too much'.

Though I am a door decorator, I am thinking about doing a small portion of the wall next to the door but haven't made up my mind yet for my next cruise. Thankfully, over the years, we have found ways to hang our items so that no damage is done to the walls or the doors. And I have no doubt that everyone is respectful in cleaning their space up before they disembark. None of us want to add more work for our cabin stewards or take the chance that this 'privilege' will be taken away by Carnival.

"What say you?"

I wish all decorators were as responsible as you are. That said, I'm no fan of door decorating. It imposes what is at best, amateur folk art on everyone and ruins the unified decor of a ship. If one feels the need to also decorate the adjacent wall has far does this go? Both sides of the corridor? Magnetic stick-ons for the ha;lway ceiling as well? Why the need to let everyone who walks past your cabin know that it is your own special place?

This thread makes me grateful that this practice is not done on my preferred cruise line.

As far as I'm concerned you lost all validity when you made the bolded comment above. You passed the cute stage with the "I'm going to impose my wants and needs on you just to p*ss you off because you disagree with me". You can put the smiley faces on the comment but you still said you would become overbearing and intrusive to anyone who disagreed with your view.

NOTENTIRELYNORMAL - If you are going to quote someone, do not add words that they did not say. That could be seen as slander.

As far as those that are talking against door decorating, you didn't understand the reason for the question asked in the first place nor do I think you even read the entire question. I have cruised several lines and some people have decorated their doors on each one. Yes, I am sure that includes the lines that some of you have been saying they don't.

There is no problem not liking door decorating and no problem bringing opinions of the same. Being mean about it does cross the line.

Also, there are ship photographers on every cruise line that I have been on.

This site is supposed to be about cruise lines and not about who can I cut today.

I copied their comment exactly. Then I made my comment. There was no slander.

slander

n. oral defamation, in which someone tells one or more persons an untruth about another which untruth will harm the reputation of the person defamed.

Since I was quoting the OP not sure how I defamed him/her. Please explain. I am entitled to my opinion and in my opinion when you threaten to do something to someone else's property you cross the line. I understood exactly. My quotes for the her comment of what i was directly responding to. I don't think putting smiley faces on a nasty comment make it cute. I guess you do.

Edited by notentirelynormal

I copied their comment exactly. Then I made my comment. There was no slander.

slander

n. oral defamation, in which someone tells one or more persons an untruth about another which untruth will harm the reputation of the person defamed.

Since I was quoting the OP not sure how I defamed him/her. Please explain. I am entitled to my opinion and in my opinion when you threaten to do something to someone else's property you cross the line. I understood exactly. My quotes for the her comment of what i was directly responding to. I don't think putting smiley faces on a nasty comment make it cute. I guess you do.

GAMMY3GKS comment:If you say that to a 'die-hard' wall decorator near you on a cruise, you will find that come the next morning, your surrounding wall will be decorated as well.

NOTENTIRELYNORMAL quotes:"I'm going to impose my wants and needs on you just to p*ss you off because you disagree with me".

You must realize that when you put the quotes on what you said gammy3gks was saying that you were saying that was what was said verbatim. In reading these two I see no similarity.

As for the slander comment you were misrepresenting what was said in order to hurt the reputation of another in order for others not to give any creed to what she says.

You don't even know her yet you write with unknown authority of what she means.

This is getting nowhere so I will no longer post to this.

We've never decorated our door, other than a Cruise Critic group cruise door sign.

This will be our first inside and I am thinking of trying to do something to brighten it up. A poster of a port hole view maybe. I've also found one that is the bow of a ship. Idk. Something to being some life into i

Edited by brn2crz

Sometimes we will put something small on our door just to find it quicker after a late night.

If we sail over Halloween, we do our door. Just as many others do. ;)

I does not bother me if cabins around me do or do not. If people enjoy it and they are not harming anyone, it is no big deal.

Edited by janetz

Just be careful what you put on walls/doors: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=31702442&postcount=1

Thankfully, there are many sites out there that tell newbie decorators what to use and not use on the cabin doors/walls when decorating. Sadly, whomever decorated these walls probably had no idea that this adhesive would do this. What a costly mistake!!

Has door decorating become more popular on cruise ships? Have you done it and/or been in a contest? It seems to me that wall decorating is more prevalent on today's cruise ships.

Personally, I don't like to see public spaces such as doors facing the corridor decorated. Tacky, IMHO.

We have thankfully seen very little of that on recent cruises we have taken.

Why is it a great idea when traveling with small children?

Well, I as an adult, do not feel compelled to decorate my cabin door. On the other hand, I think it would appeal to small children to have decorations on their door.

....I think it would appeal to small children to have decorations on their door.

I can understand that - INSIDE their cabin where they can enjoy it other than for just a fleeting moment when they enter their room.

Decorating the outside is nothing more than a need to be noticed - "Look at our door. We need to be the center of attention".

Edited by PTMary

I could expect it on a Disney cruise as well as Carnival but I cruise on neither of these.I prefer adult cruiselines and I would think a decorated door is dumb and messy looking venture. I can find my door cause I can recognize the numbers.......novel idea:rolleyes:

I've seen lots of doors decorated on holiday cruises--not so many on cruises during other times of the year. I enjoy seeing the creativity that some folks display. What I've done is taken the fronts of Christmas cards we've received and used them to decorate our cabin door. We also take a huge stocking that a co-worker made about a decade ago for us. It's been on at least eight cruises since but it stays in our cabin not outside. I've even brought a small Christmas tree with lights and ornaments for inside as well.