Carnival pools -- are they all salt water??

POTOMACRUISER

When I was on the liberty last month, I swear the hot tubs smelled like chlroine...

The hot tubs are fresh water with chlorine, but the pools are all salt water with fresh water showers near them to rinse off.

Gotta purge the people-soup broth somehow since they can't heat the water as hot as it should be heated.

:p

I was wondering about that since I've only been on one cruise. Is that the norm for all carnival cruises, to have relatively low hot tub temps? What about other cruise lines?

I was wondering about that since I've only been on one cruise. Is that the norm for all carnival cruises, to have relatively low hot tub temps? What about other cruise lines?

I would think so for legal reasons.

:rolleyes:

When I was on the liberty last month, I swear the hot tubs smelled like chlroine...

The chemical smell is actually a good thing in my mind. The chemicals ar your friend....they are protecting you from the dermatologic herpes viruses and trichamonas that can be shared. Bugs like this love a warm, moist environment.:eek:

Sorry to have ruined the hot tub thing for anybody, but it puts a different spin on the reason for the chemicals.

The temps are kept low-- its easier then enforce the rule that kids should not use them. (ever see them swimming under water in those tubs-- they give me the heebie jeebies-- if the water was as high temps as it is supposed to be== those kids brains will fry.

(lets not even mention the girls with the long pony tails whose hair can get caught up.

The hot tubs are fresh water with chlorine, but the pools are all salt water with fresh water showers near them to rinse off.

Not on the Sensation (last March), Fascination (Jan.) or Triumph (May)... all OUTDOOR pools/hot tubs were salt water... hot tubs got in, pools was told it was salt water.

Time in a salt water pool will leave you feeling sticky all over when you dry off. A fresh water shower mitigates this issue.

As a sailor of 24 years, I had many salt water showers on my first ship due to extremely restrictive water hours.

The chemical smell is actually a good thing in my mind. The chemicals ar your friend....they are protecting you from the dermatologic herpes viruses and trichamonas that can be shared. Bugs like this love a warm, moist environment.:eek:

Sorry to have ruined the hot tub thing for anybody, but it puts a different spin on the reason for the chemicals.

Actually smelling "chlorine" in a hot tub is a BAD thing. That smell is due to the chlorine levels being too low. I know it sounds weird but I don't want to confuse everybody with Pool Chemistry talk. I work for a Pool company and constantly go through hours and hours of education on this stuff.

Are all Carnival pools saltwater? The DW really liked the Princess fresh water pools and I don't think she's going to be happy with the salt water thing. Are there any freshwater pools on Carnival?

The hot tub on the legend was fresh water! Pools salt, Water Slide Salt! YUCK

The temps are kept low-- its easier then enforce the rule that kids should not use them. (ever see them swimming under water in those tubs-- they give me the heebie jeebies-- if the water was as high temps as it is supposed to be== those kids brains will fry.

(lets not even mention the girls with the long pony tails whose hair can get caught up.

The first day 1/2 on the Legend the Hot Tub was a Cold Tub.. by the end it was nice and toasty fabulous temp. I heard they run the water by the engine to heat the water which is why it took so long for the water to heat up?

The first day 1/2 on the Legend the Hot Tub was a Cold Tub.. by the end it was nice and toasty fabulous temp. I heard they run the water by the engine to heat the water which is why it took so long for the water to heat up?

The engine never turns off so it would always be "hot" but I doubt they send salt water "by" the engine. Some ships use turbines that generate electricity to run everything including the propeller...

I prefer to swim in saltwater, but at the beach. If I have to swim in a public

pool I'd rather have it chlorinated to kill germs, and on our last cruise I doubt very much that the pool was drained and refilled each day. There was always water in it, and at night they just put a net over it.

Archived