Cashew Wine

spikera

i had a few chugs of this last week.... its fruity, but dry afterwards. It was served warm, and i imagined it would be better cold. I also thought it was a very dry tasting Apple cider, which i got odd looks when i said that to the locals. Hmmm either way, i have a few bottles.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried some in May and it was very sweet. It almost reminded me of maple syrup, just thinner. Anyway, we bought a bottle right in the port at a liquor store for $7. I saw the same bottle elswhere for $10. Either way it's pretty inexpensive and a nice souvenier.

• 5 months later...

I bought the cashew wine for $7.00 when I was in Belize last week. I wish they had it here in the States since it's the sweetest wine that I have ever tasted. More like a sweet port or sherry. It's really good cold. You have to get 2 bottles if you go. Go to the liquor store in the port area. It's $7.00 a bottle. They take it from you when you get on the ship but you get it back the day before you return home. It's well worth it.:)

• 1 year later...

DW and I bought a bottle at a shop, during our Altun Ha excursion. $9 US, and I cut my hand on the cap!! Stuff is super sweet (even more than ice wine "Semillion"), but what really threw us off was the odor. We walked on board with a bottle, opened it up in the room, and the smell permeated every crevice of the space, and neither of us considered it particularly pleasant. It was, in our opinion, no better cold, and we poured more than 2/3 of the bottle out, so we could take the empty home as the souvenir. Just our taste though. IMO, it is more like a liqueur than a wine.

Can you say MAD DOG 20 20 or Boones farm..LOL... In town (San Pedro) this wine runs for $4 us. It is super sweet. A good souvenir, I will only drink it after I am already drunk... with friend that want to try it. Buy 2 bottles. one to take a sip and toss out and another to take home full.

• 1 year later...
I know this thread is really old but I'm looking for current information on Cashew wine from Belize. Has it gotten any better? What are the current prices? Is there any other wine worth buying?

We tasted some homemade cashew wine when we were in Roatan last Feb. It smells wonderful and is extremely sweet. I don't have any experience with the Belize commercial variety.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

We just returned from Roatan last Sunday. We bought some Mr. P's Cashew Wine for 10 us dollars. In my research on the internet, it seems you are supposed to let it age. My bottle has a date of April 2012, so I plan on putting it somewhere for a while before opening it.

Pam

We just returned from Roatan last Sunday. We bought some Mr. P's Cashew Wine for 10 us dollars. In my research on the internet, it seems you are supposed to let it age. My bottle has a date of April 2012, so I plan on putting it somewhere for a while before opening it.

Pam

Maybe that's the secret there.

We tried the cashew wine when we were on a cave tubing tour (purchased for $7) and when they gave us a sample, we thought it tasted pretty good (and we are NOT wine drinkers). So, we bought a bottle. We saved it from September until I think November. Others warned us that after getting it home, it did not taste as good. Well, it was "ok" but nothing fabulous and it certainly didn't taste the same as what we had when we were on the island when they were promoting it. Maybe we should have checked the dates and opened it much later after aging. We ended up throwing the rest out after 1 glass each. :p

Cashew Wine: VERY sweet, syrupy

Barrel One Rum: Not that bad for the price, heavy vanilla undertones

Marie Sharps: Bought 6 bottles, all varieties awesome

Gibnut: great tasting meat

Tip: avoid the liquor store in the gated area, go outside the gate into town, great local folks and the price you pay for Barrel One and Cashew wine will be cheaper. I saved good money and brought home several bottles of each.

Archived