Anyone use a camera backpack in Rome?

lifeasme123

We have a camera backpack that is not big. It houses our SLR camera and an extra lens. I am thinking of bringing this for our European trip. I plan to wear it in the front of me (instead of back side) and use safety pins for the zippers (as others suggested on this forum).

Looking for suggestions from others who have carried a camera backpacks. Any tips on safety with the bag are appreciated!

BTW - I understand that carrying a camera backpack may make it obvious that I am a tourist. However, I do not wan to use our cellphones to take pictures.

I've used a PacSafe backpack on my back all over Europe with no issues at all. You might want to check them out for this trip.

The locals will know you're a tourist regardless of what you wear...

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

I've used a PacSafe backpack on my back all over Europe with no issues at all. You might want to check them out for this trip.

Thanks! I just checked that out online. What model is yours? There are soooooooooooo many of them. :-) And did you wear it on your chest or back?

We carried ours at times, and sometimes just carried the SLR. We remained aware of our surroundings and had no troubles at all. We never felt unsafe during our stay. The backpack we have is a Lowepro flipside (so the access is against your back), there is no getting into it from the back, so you can wear it on your back without worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We carried ours at times, and sometimes just carried the SLR. We remained aware of our surroundings and had no troubles at all. We never felt unsafe during our stay. The backpack we have is a Lowepro flipside (so the access is against your back), there is no getting into it from the back, so you can wear it on your back without worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you! I will look into this as well.

The pickpockets especially will always know that you're a tourist! Go ahead and be a savvy, safe and aware tourist, and have a great time sightseeing.

We have oft posted some hints/ideas about safety when traveling...based on our forty+ years of extensive independent travel. But in the final analysis it does come down to using common sense and always being alert to your surroundings. You should be fine with your camera bag...although we do think wearing it on your front (especially when in crowded venues) is wise. And we are long time proponents of large safety pins (we post this idea ll the time) whether it be for camera bag zippers. purse zippers, or pockets. It is a very simply technique which is very effective.

Hank

I use an older Pac Safe shoulder bag, not especially made for photo equipment.

It holds easily a Sony A6000 with 2 extra lenses well protected

Room for ipad and more.

My suggestion is to check out Pac Safe's shoulder bags which gives you MUCH easier access to your equipment than a back pack.

We bought a Pacsafe antitheft camera sling strap for Europe for the SLR. Then it was always out ready to go. We had a smaller Pacsafe bag it could go in if needed that we wore across the shoulder. Then we had small back packs for sweatshirts, sunblock etc for the things we coild cope with losing. Looked like tourists but no probs at all

We always smile when folks talk about not looking like tourists. So here is the shocker...especially for Americans. You will always look like a tourist....so accept it and get on with your trip. Your clothes, the way you walk, your language (when you open your mouth), and the oft bewildered look when you are looking around are easy giveaways. DW and I will sometimes sit at a cafe in a busy part of Rome or Paris and just people watch. We like to play a game of guessing where folks are from...based on their clothes, shoes and just the way they carry themselves. Our biggest laugh is reserved for cruisers that wear their cruise cards on a lanyard...even when they are off the ship. You would be amazed at how many folks do that. And then there are those who try to carefully dress to fit in...and then walk around with a Holland America or Celebrity tote bag! Too funny. And if you are using one of those "pacsafe" bags....that is pretty obvious. And of course just carrying around a camera marks you as a tourist.

Hank

I have a Lowenpro backpack that I take on the flight but I don't use it for daily touring. Most museums in Europe don't allow backpacks and you will have to check it. I have purchased a crossbody, medium size purse and a padded camera insert that fits inside. That allows me to have my dslr in a safe place when it isn't in use. I can keep it with me because it is a purse.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

?? That's the time you should wear it.

NO. They meant that you should take it off and hold it in front of you. By keeping it on your back, you are taking up space on a crowded metro, when you turn you usually smack someone with it... Just like on a plane, take off the backpack when walking down the aisle.

NO. They meant that you should take it off and hold it in front of you. By keeping it on your back, you are taking up space on a crowded metro, when you turn you usually smack someone with it... Just like on a plane, take off the backpack when walking down the aisle.

Exactly.

I have a lowepro, fastpack BP 250 AS II. I use it primarily on the plane as a carry on for camera gear plus tablet plus room for other things. It has a nice strap to attach to roller luggage handle, to cruise through the airport.

Depending on the excursion or daily plan I either take the lowenpro bag or just my camera with extra lens in a lens bag that attaches to a belt. More often than not I end up taking the bag, as it has room for light jacket, water bottle, etc.

I know this is a dumb question but in a number of things we have signed up for in Rome, there is a notation to not have a backpack or large bag (in some cases noting that there is no place to store them so we may be denied entry). Does this apply to a reasonable sized purse?

I know this is a dumb question but in a number of things we have signed up for in Rome, there is a notation to not have a backpack or large bag (in some cases noting that there is no place to store them so we may be denied entry). Does this apply to a reasonable sized purse?

Reasonable may be in the eye of the beholder, but you shouldn't have problems in most places if your purse isn't overly large. Where are you going in particular that is causing concern? I ask because some places ARE rather picky. I've never had a problem in 5-6 years with my usual Kipling crossbody bag -- except at one museum in Rome that wanted me to check it. Since I'd already checked out of my hotel and was headed to the port that afternoon, I had my passport, all my credit cards and cash with me. I declined to leave my bag and had to leave this particular museum for the next trip.....:rolleyes:.

Reasonable may be in the eye of the beholder, but you shouldn't have problems in most places if your purse isn't overly large. Where are you going in particular that is causing concern? I ask because some places ARE rather picky. I've never had a problem in 5-6 years with my usual Kipling crossbody bag -- except at one museum in Rome that wanted me to check it. Since I'd already checked out of my hotel and was headed to the port that afternoon, I had my passport, all my credit cards and cash with me. I declined to leave my bag and had to leave this particular museum for the next trip.....:rolleyes:.

Thanks so much. So I didn't take as good notes as I could have, but it looks like I was worried most about the day we do the Forum/Col./PH. Working back, I see some stuff on tripadvisor saying no purses, but on the coopculture site it seems to be targeting larger backpacks. I don't mind screening, and I don't mind checking things, but I hate to be turned away completely. Domestically, I just use my phone case as a wallet, but reading these boards, it seems safer to use a cross body purse than have my phone always out. Without reading, I would probably have me or my teens with a backpack to hold waters and other minor items, maybe the camera, but sounds like there's both a theft concern and this one about being refused entry. So maybe the cameras are just loose? Both of my sons are into photography, digital and film.

The other places I noted concerns were Domus Aurea and the Underground Rome tour through Context Travel, but that seems more a prohibition on "large" backpacks or purses.

Any advice welcome. Emily

Thanks so much. So I didn't take as good notes as I could have, but it looks like I was worried most about the day we do the Forum/Col./PH. Working back, I see some stuff on tripadvisor saying no purses, but on the coopculture site it seems to be targeting larger backpacks. I don't mind screening, and I don't mind checking things, but I hate to be turned away completely. Domestically, I just use my phone case as a wallet, but reading these boards, it seems safer to use a cross body purse than have my phone always out. Without reading, I would probably have me or my teens with a backpack to hold waters and other minor items, maybe the camera, but sounds like there's both a theft concern and this one about being refused entry. So maybe the cameras are just loose? Both of my sons are into photography, digital and film.

The other places I noted concerns were Domus Aurea and the Underground Rome tour through Context Travel, but that seems more a prohibition on "large" backpacks or purses.

Any advice welcome. Emily

I have been on the Domus Aurea tour and although I have not taken the specific Context Rome tour you mention, I have taken another one with them that visits some underground sites AND I have visited on my own the Vicus Caprarius and the San Nicola in Carcere sites -- you should have no problems at these places with a reasonably sized purse.

I have not been to the Colosseum or Forum since the recent institution of more intense screening, so I cannot answer there from my own experience, but from reading responses on Tripadvisor it appears to me that a purse should fine whereas a back-pack will not be allowed.

The size restriction we were given for both the Colosseum and the Vatican was 12 x 12 x 6.

Sent from my iPad using Forums