Divina / Black Card / Drink Vouchers / Interior review

LMaxwell

LMaxwell, thanks again for this informative review. Thanks for the info on the 18 drink package, and also the above info on the ship tour. I have never been able to this one on Carnival due to a mobility problem, so I am going to look forward to this on MSC, and so much more.

If you can get to the theater for shows 20 minutes early they usually have entertainers warming up the crowd. Deck 6 has ramps into the theater, Deck 7 does not have ramps. There are no cocktail tables or cup holders in the theater; no bar service.

Quick notes about elevators.

There are 4 elevator banks, plus some one off single elevators along the way (just before midship).

The elevator doors are lightning fast. Be careful.

Of the 4 elevators in row for the aft, forward, and atrium banks, the middle two will go above deck 14. Nearest to these elevators are buttons to call for decks 15/16. All elevators go to at least deck 14, so if you call for an up elevator you might get one of the outboard ones but you wanted to get to 15 or 16; so just look for a third button on the elevator call buttons.

If you can get to the theater for shows 20 minutes early they usually have entertainers warming up the crowd. Deck 6 has ramps into the theater, Deck 7 does not have ramps. There are no cocktail tables or cup holders in the theater; no bar service.

Just an addition to the ramps in the theater. The ramps will take one to the back of the theater. The last roll of seats has spaces for a scooter next to the regular seats.

We traveled with a friend who used a scooter. He liked "parallel" parking behind the last roll and turning his scooter seat ninety degrees to face the front of the theater. We sat in the seats in front of him.

FYI for SMSACE6 and others with mobility issues. The "secret " elevators that are on either side of the ship just forward of the Black Crab Restaurant is the best bet for getting an elevator with a scooter or walker.

Most of the time, you can get on those elevators, the exception being when people are arriving or leaving the Black Crab dinner seatings. At those times, let the stampede happen and when the elevator leaves, position yourself right in front of the doors for the next go round (and have someone with you to stop the person who will try and push in front of you).

"Clumsily"

The daily paper prints a time that restaurants can take bookings during the day, but no one ever was there in person, or answered the number.

For the first night at Eataly we just hung around until opening and they were able to accommodate us.

We never could speak to anyone at Galaxy, so we just kept trying back different times of day and eventually found a menu near the bar, looked and was not too interested. So we wanted to make our second visit at Eataly again. Same process with no one answering or available.

Finally went to GS and they told us to call; explained calling only works if people are there like the sheet says. So GS told us they would make the reservation. Which they did, for the wrong time. When we arrived (at opening) the restaurant would not accommodate us so we re-scheduled for another night. Despite waiting 10 minutes to see if the 6PM reservations arrived only a few tables had anyone and the manager told us it was policy not to fill the restaurant. I guess some tables are just for show, not for go.

And they don't know if you have a free black card meal or are trying to pay full price, so keeping these places a secret makes no sense.

For the record though, both times the food and service was good. It's a really nice perk because it is quiet and spacious compared to the MDR, and the steaks were great. I had the Porterhouse both times, others in our party had the filet and the whole lobster.

A similar meal for two would have cost us near $140 on Royal Caribbean. (Porterhouse and Lobster being upcharges on that line on top of base rate, and the base price of the restaurant is $49 per person). So a great perk at no charge on MSC, and we got to go twice for free. they never presented a bill or anything to sign.

They just need to get their act together with promoting and taking reservations for these places.

Thanks for the info - that would make my husband crazy so I will be sure to be to the one trying to get the reservation! At least I can now prepare myself for the aggravation, lol.

FYI for SMSACE6 and others with mobility issues. The "secret " elevators that are on either side of the ship just forward of the Black Crab Restaurant is the best bet for getting an elevator with a scooter or walker.

Most of the time, you can get on those elevators, the exception being when people are arriving or leaving the Black Crab dinner seatings. At those times, let the stampede happen and when the elevator leaves, position yourself right in front of the doors for the next go round (and have someone with you to stop the person who will try and push in front of you).

Thanks for this info. I am fortunate that I do not yet need a walker or scooter, but this information will definitely be uselful. Thanks for sharing this.

Sorry for the double post, but too late to edit my last one. My age, senior years are showing. I keep forgetting that it is not Divina that I am booked on (though I would certainly consider a future sailing on). I am booked on the Seaside, which is not completed yet. So not sure that there will be these elevators on her.

Still thanks for the info, any and all info on Divina, because this the only ship sailing from Miami at this time, and lots of info will still be applicable to the new ship.:o

Thanks for all of this info! We'll be in cabin 9265 when we cruise in July, directly opposite of the cabin you guys stayed in, and I feel better about the location now. (we booked pretty recently - beggars can't be choosers, right?) Also, thanks for the heads up on the dining reservation difficulties. We've been looking forward to all our black card perks, and my other half can't stand frustration like that, so I know now to send him to the water slide with the kids while I figure it out :cool:

More thoughts to come. Traveling for work and posting off a tablet is not ideal.

For those keeping score though we booked Seaside for December 2018. Bella balcony for 3 with $100 obc came out to 1724 w tax (5% voyagers discount). Harmony of the Seas same week in a Balcony was $3900. Diamond discount should have knocked that down to around 3675. Disney for 3 in a balcony was around 5700. NO FREAKING WAY PERIOD.

Eventually MSC prices will rise. I think the product warrants RCI prices frankly so I will take advantage and laugh all the way to the bank while I can

Were you able to use drink vouchers on champagne? I've read champagne isn't included in the classic drink package but wondering if that extends to drink tickets, as well.

The drink vouchers cover drinks up the value of $8 so champagne is not covered.

Were you able to use drink vouchers on champagne? I've read champagne isn't included in the classic drink package but wondering if that extends to drink tickets, as well.

With the black card they sent 2 bottles of champagne to the room and every /reception/welcome back/meet the captain/look at the ocean party they had also had free champagne, so not sure about using vouchers for that.

A note about disembarkation.

We drive to eastern Florida ports; do not live that far away. As such, we are not contending with flights, and if arriving on a weekend, usually no pressing schedule.

On Thursday night we received luggage tags and the disembarkation paperwork. We had a brown tags which said luggage should be ready sometime after 9 or 9:30AM.

Black Card perk is for priority early disembarkation or late exit of your room (until 9:00AM). I used my final drink voucher for a specialty coffee from the bar on deck 7 and went back to shower and pack any final items. We vacated our room around 8:30AM and headed up to breakfast.

Around 9:10 we took an elevator to deck 6 and simply walked off. No waiting in lounges. No snaking lines anywhere. An agent directed us to the appropriate carousel for the luggage, and we had all our luggage in about 10 minutes time. Got a porter to wheel the luggage to the curb. Customs does not have you fill out those blue forms anymore, so getting through was fast. I left my wife with all the luggage, got the car in the garage, paid, and was curbside loading up by 9:35AM. Painless.

One of the things I loathe about a cruise vacation is the "herding" and long lines at the start and end of the trip and MSC, at least for me, successfully mitigated those down to a non-issue. Embark and debark from the ship were as quick and efficient as one could hope for in Miami.

thanks for review. We haven't been on the Divina in a while but are booked for July 29th. You were able to provide me with some good info about 'black' status (this will be our 2nd sailing in that category). It also looks like they have added some things since our last sailing like the captain's corner and free ship tour. Looking forward to sailing her again.

Marianne

A note about disembarkation.

Got a porter to wheel the luggage to the curb. Customs does not have you fill out those blue forms anymore, so getting through was fast. I left my wife with all the luggage, got the car in the garage, paid, and was curbside loading up by 9:35AM. Painless.

I was surprised on our Divina cruise that ended on April 8 that the porter insisted on bringing our luggage all the way to the garage for us. He left it on a pick up area at the garage exit.

At first, I thought it was because we were traveling with someone who used a scooter, but it seems that anyone who used a porter had their luggage carried to the garage.

Was this a service that was just temporary?