5/12/17 Update on Amtrak/NJT/LIRR Situation...NY Penn Station Track Repairs

njhorseman

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/11/nyregion/amtrak-pennstation-njtransit-lirr.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=nygeo-promo-region&region=nygeo-promo-region&WT.nav=nygeo-promo-region&_r=0

I find the NY Times headline to interesting to say the least. Yes, most trains will run, but up to 25% won't. That's not up to 25% will be late...up to 25% will not run...in other words up to 25% may be cancelled! I'll try to post updates as more is known. Just expect a mess this summer, and remember it will affect service at stations down the line, so if you're planning to take Amtrak or NJT to or from Newark for a Cape Liberty cruise, expect problems.

"Most Trains Will Run During Penn Station Work, Amtrak Chief Says"

Thanks for the updated info. I know it is so helpful to so many.

As it stands, we will keep an eye on Waze (like always), probably just take the bus, and allow lots of extra time (like always). You guys are great!

Travelers with access to smartphone on the go, please bookmark this official MTA website for alert - it will give service advisory and updates on subways, buses, rails, bridges & tunnel, etc. Issues with EWR and JFK's AirTrain are posted as well.

http://alert.mta.info/

PANYNJ - service alerts & updates, advisories, etc. for all 3 major NYC area airports - EWR, LGA and JFK are available here -

https://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/

This is specific to current/recent airport messages - LGA has been "quiet" so that no news is good news.

https://www.paalerts.com/recentmessages.aspx

As of 2016, all of NYC's subway stations - especially undergrounds in Manhattan have free transit WiFi coverage, signals are good and relatively reliable, fast - oversea visitors should find this helpful as roaming data coverage can be difficult. It is open & unsecured WiFi like Starbucks, please use caution & not conduct or risk personal info while connected (i.e. banking & finance) Link to the official site & tips on how to use it - https://transitwirelesswifi.com/

NY Penn Station has free WiFi coverage and here's one of many guides to locating free hotspot in this popular midtown area ... Macy's flagship store, among other places, has good WiFi coverage inside, while your spouse/partner/friends do the shopping.

http://www.openwifispots.com/city_free_wifi_wireless_hotspot-New_York_NY.aspx#40.75604,-73.986941,14

Please make use of free Navigation/Maps apps, including Waze, supported on multiple platforms including iOS and Androids, to help plan, re-route and review/reconfirm travel plans on a last-minute or up-to-the-moment basis as things happened, i.e. rain & showers forecasted for this weekend, especially tomorrow (Saturday) "could" trigger rippled effects across mass transit systems. Our local highways & roadways in low-lying areas are prone to urban, flash flooding - as post Sandy repairs & recovery work are still ongoing.

The buzz word - please allow plenty of time for unexpected delays and longer travel time, whether it's on public transit or using car service, airporters or ride-sharing, etc.

You always need a Plan B and even Plan C. So, that means if Penn Station is a mess. Walk or take subway to a PATH station. Or get to the PABT and get a bus if talking about getting from Manhattan to NJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks. I was just going to ask about how to get from the terminal to Penn Station. I'm traveling up to Connecticut after my cruise. Any suggestions on how to get to the train station? Is Penn Station Newark the closest Amtrak station?

Thanks. I was just going to ask about how to get from the terminal to Penn Station. I'm traveling up to Connecticut after my cruise. Any suggestions on how to get to the train station? Is Penn Station Newark the closest Amtrak station?

There are two Newark Amtrak stations - Newark Airport and Newark Penn Station. Newark Airport station has no vehicle access. You have to get dropped at the P4 Airtrain station and take the free Airtrain to the station. Newark Penn Station is a major transportation hub with better Amtrak service. You can get transportation to NPS from the Cape Liberty taxi dispatcher for $50-60 or call Uber.

Where are you going in CT?

There are two Newark Amtrak stations - Newark Airport and Newark Penn Station. Newark Airport station has no vehicle access. You have to get dropped at the P4 Airtrain station and take the free Airtrain to the station. Newark Penn Station is a major transportation hub with better Amtrak service. You can get transportation to NPS from the Cape Liberty taxi dispatcher for $50-60 or call Uber.

Where are you going in CT?

Which is easier to get to? I did the airport Penn station when I flew in to Newark last summer. Was pretty easy to get to the regular Newark Penn station. I am very familiar with the regular Newark Penn station. Took the train lots when I'd visit my brother when I used to live in Newark. I'm getting off in Meriden.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Which is easier to get to? I did the airport Penn station when I flew in to Newark last summer. Was pretty easy to get to the regular Newark Penn station. I am very familiar with the regular Newark Penn station. Took the train lots when I'd visit my brother when I used to live in Newark. I'm getting off in Meriden.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OK - so you're really experienced unlike many of our posters and you know what to expect in terms of the Airtrain and managing your luggage. Just self disembark and take the $20 airport transfer from the taxi dispatcher. It just depends on where you want to hang out to wait for the train. If your Meriden train doesn't stop at the airport, you can take NJ Transit to NPS and hang out there.

Amtrak is in talks with MTA about terminating some of the Empire trains (Albany/Niagara etc) at Grand Central during the Penn Station track work this summer. Nothing official yet, have to come up with a way to handle the Cafe car or at least having hotel power to the refrigeration if they don't restock for service south of Albany.

Amtrak is in talks with MTA about terminating some of the Empire trains (Albany/Niagara etc) at Grand Central during the Penn Station track work this summer. Nothing official yet, have to come up with a way to handle the Cafe car or at least having hotel power to the refrigeration if they don't restock for service south of Albany.

Shouldn't be overly hard, if they are serious. All Empire Service, as well as the Lake Shore Limited, came out of GCT until sometime in the mid 90s.

Shouldn't be overly hard, if they are serious. All Empire Service, as well as the Lake Shore Limited, came out of GCT until sometime in the mid 90s.

Harder then you think, no Amtrak Ticket window, no supplies for Amfleet to restock or repair. Crews are not qualified on Metro North tracks (past service diversions a Metro North Engineer rides in the cab of the Amtrak train). No easy way to transfer to other Amtrak services at Penn, ticket structure now includes transfers at Penn, how do you move checked bags etc.

Newspapers picked up on this morning saying the Governor is requesting this. Like previous posts, need to wait until the dust settles and the summer time tables are issued.