Which Cruise?

DisneyDatknee

My mother and I are ready to book our first "longish" cruise that's around 10-12 days to the Caribbean. We are looking at next November and we want to go places we've never been to. The only ones that I'm interested in are the Zuiderdam & the Royal Princess. Does anyone have any preferences to their itnearies? I know they are completely different from each other, but the Zuiderdam is about $1500 more and really, the Royal Princess is even cheaper as it comes with $250 OBC and free gratuities. Pricing is all from my TA.. The Zuiderdam pricing does not include Explore 4. Now we could do a last minute booking and get a better deal, but I like to have the booking in solid. I'm sure pricing will go down after Explore 4, but you never know.

Zuiderdam

Port Everglades, Half Moon Cay 8-2:30, Day @ Sea, Aruba 1P-11P, Curaçao 8-11P, Day @ Sea, Cartagena Columbia 7-1, Partial Panama Canal & Colón from 3-8, Puerto Limón CR 6:30-4, Day @ Sea, Day @ Sea, Port Everglades

Royal Princess

Port Everglades, Princess Cays 9-4, Day @ Sea, St. Thomas 8-6, Antigua 8-5, St. Lucia 8-6, Barbados 7-4, St Kitts 9-6, Day @ Sea, Day @ Sea, Port Everglades

Again, we can really do the Zuiderdam, I'm just debating on whether the price is worth it. With $1500, I could definitely do another cruise with that chunk of change, I'm just not very familiar with the Zuiderdam or the Royal Princess's ports to make a decision.

Thanks! :cool:

Edited by DisneyDatknee

I would take the Royal over the Zuiderdam . It visits some of the outer windward island rarely visited. I don't think that the partial transit is worth it .

I agree, we would love to visit Curaçao again.

Don

No question, choose Royal Princess as the ports are waaaaaaay better and it costs less. If you want to do a Panama Canal cruise someday, then really do one - that is around 2 weeks and does a full transit as that is very cool! But the choice between these two cruises, I'd pick Royal Princess in a heartbeat for the wonderful ports! Have a great time!

I also vote for Royal Princess. I've taken several Caribbean cruises, and with the exception of St. Thomas, have never visited those other ports. That is a wonderful itinerary, and the extra $1500 is icing on the cake!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Was it your or your TA that narrowed it down to these two choices? Because comparing both the ships and the itineraries side-by-side is completely apples and oranges. Royal Princess has a more that 50% higher passenger count than Zuiderdam. But Zuiderdam being a partial Panama Canal transit rather than a standard Eastern Caribbean itinerary will make for an entirely different experience.

The significant price difference for Zuiderdam is accounted for by a combination of the lower passenger count and the much higher Government Taxes and Fees (probably three times the amount as on Royal Princess). If you are ready to "step up" your choice of cruises and have the time and means the Panama Canal is an essential experience; while a full transit is better, the partial is fine for a first-timer. And the Netherlands Antilles and (especially) Costa Rica are far more interesting and varied than Antigua or St Kitts.

Was it your or your TA that narrowed it down to these two choices? Because comparing both the ships and the itineraries side-by-side is completely apples and oranges. Royal Princess has a more that 50% higher passenger count than Zuiderdam. But Zuiderdam being a partial Panama Canal transit rather than a standard Eastern Caribbean itinerary will make for an entirely different experience.

The significant price difference for Zuiderdam is accounted for by a combination of the lower passenger count and the much higher Government Taxes and Fees (probably three times the amount as on Royal Princess). If you are ready to "step up" your choice of cruises and have the time and means the Panama Canal is an essential experience; while a full transit is better, the partial is fine for a first-timer. And the Netherlands Antilles and (especially) Costa Rica are far more interesting and varied than Antigua or St Kitts.

We don't really care about the ship in all honesty, we care about the itinerary. I narrowed it down to these two because of dates. My mother hates sea days, no reason given, but she wants to sail to places that are interesting, and based on your comment, I'm assuming you suggest the Zuiderdam!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by DisneyDatknee

We've sailed on HAL and while the cabin was nice (we were in a suite) we found the age demographic on the ship was a good 30 years older than us. Food seemed geared to no spice/not much flavor. Shows were very dated, no modern music onboard. We were not fans. This was on the Oosterdam in her maiden year. Maybe things have improved on HAL, maybe not.

My mother hates sea days, no reason given...I'm assuming you suggest the Zuiderdam

Well maybe not anymore.

Royal Princess is a ten night cruise with six ports.

Zuiderdam is an eleven night cruise with five ports, one of which is only a half day call. (The stop at Colon is only a service call to reboard those who took a ship's excursion to Gatun Lake while the ship was in the Canal).

You may want to examine further whether "hate" is the genuine feeling. If so perhaps you should look into embarking in San Juan where there are seven night cruises with only one sea day.

I can't help with the ships. I have been on neither.

My first thought was to book the Zuieradam. There are more ports, more to see.

But then I looked at the Princess intinerary and I think those ports are more exotic.

Now, having said that, the islands to me are all so similar you may be bored. If you like beaches the Princess intinerary would win.

The Zuieradam has three short port stays. So, that is something to think about.

We enjoyed our partial Panama Canal transit; we did take the ferry through the canal. And I found Cartegena very interesting. Half Moon Cay is a lovely private island.

I think after reading my own word I would opt for the Zuieradam

I know you will have a great cruise which ever you choose.

I would pick Zuiderdam. I've been on both ships and I was not at all impressed with Royal Princess. There isn't one single lounge on Royal Princess that actually looks out to sea. In fact, I think Princess' new ship design is an epic fail.

Zuiderdam has the beautiful Crows Nest lounge and aft pool, so I think the ship is much better than Royal Princess, especially for a longer cruise.

I can't help with the ships. I have been on neither.

My first thought was to book the Zuieradam. There are more ports, more to see.

But then I looked at the Princess itinerary and I think those ports are more exotic.

Now, having said that, the islands to me are all so similar you may be bored. If you like beaches the Princess itinerary would win.

The Zuieradam has three short port stays. So, that is something to think about.

We enjoyed our partial Panama Canal transit; we did take the ferry through the canal. And I found Cartegena very interesting. Half Moon Cay is a lovely private island.

I think after reading my own word I would opt for the Zuieradam

I know you will have a great cruise which ever you choose.

We can't wait for HMC in April!! Thank you for your comments. I'm leaning towards the Zuiderdam now as it has more of a Latin America itinerary which my mother would love! She's Cuban so I think she would appreciate some Spanish-countries (besides Mexico...). I think your comment about "all the islands are the same" is scaring me into the Zuiderdam.

I would pick Zuiderdam. I've been on both ships and I was not at all impressed with Royal Princess. There isn't one single lounge on Royal Princess that actually looks out to sea. In fact, I think Princess' new ship design is an epic fail.

Zuiderdam has the beautiful Crows Nest lounge and aft pool, so I think the ship is much better than Royal Princess, especially for a longer cruise.

I'm not very happy with no observation decks on the Royal Princess.. It's one of my favorite parts about cruising and I even downgraded my room on my upcoming Empress of the Seas cruise just to get an oceanview facing the observation deck. I'm sailing on the Eurodam in April, so maybe it can help me choose, as I can always cancel.

Edited by DisneyDatknee

We've sailed on HAL and while the cabin was nice (we were in a suite) we found the age demographic on the ship was a good 30 years older than us. Food seemed geared to no spice/not much flavor. Shows were very dated, no modern music onboard. We were not fans. This was on the Oosterdam in her maiden year. Maybe things have improved on HAL, maybe not.

Thank you for this. I think her maiden year was 2003, so I'm sure a lot has changed by now. Hopefully my experience on the Eurodam in April is good.

I agree that HAL is the oldest demographic I've ever sailed with. In our 40s, the staff joked with us that we should join the kids club. :D

But that said, I would still choose Zuiderdam. I've cruised Zuiderdam and Regal Princess (Royal's sister ship). Like someone else said, I found it bizarre that the ship didn't have a viewing lounge. The room with the best views is the ship's buffet dining area. The whole ship was inward looking. Plus, Royal Princess does not have a traditional outdoor promenade. Zuiderdam does have one, and it goes all the way around.

Thank you all! We booked the Royal Princess. Really--with the free gratuities (plus $250 OBC), the Zuiderdam would be even more and we would be happy to pocket that money for an upcoming trip to Spain to visit family. HAL's deposit was non-refundable for that rate, which would make the price even higher to get a refundable rate. I think we will have a great time either way and can't wait to try another line. :)