Losing Weight before cruise???

cruizin4sho

Has anyone successfully lose weight before they cruised? If so, how much did you lose before cruise and how much did you gain after the cruise?

I currently have a 7 day cruise booked next month and figure I'll gain at least 10 lbs, so my target weight lose goal before the cruise is 10 lbs.:)

I can only say, that I know from personal experience that any large rapid weight loss will not stay off. You gain it back quick and often with extra weight. Since your cruise is only in a months time, best to just cut back a little, eat healthy, stay active, or increase activity a little if you can. When you cruise, enjoy what you want, but also try not to over indulge, and while on the cruise, try to use the stairs as much as poss, as well as walk laps on the walking/jogging track, go to the gym. Have a great cruise.:)

I lost 40 lbs before our cruise. I gained less than 10 on the cruise, but that came off quickly when I got home and back to my normal eating and gym routine. While we didn't utilize the gym on the boat, we did a lot of walking, and almost always took the stairs instead of the elevators, and food was not the focus of our trip. (It wasn't that great anyway!) I still have weight to lose before I get to my goal, but I'm getting there, slowly but surely. Don't worry too much about it, just have a good time! I hope you have a great cruise. :)

A few years ago I lost 80 lbs over 8 months before my cruise (about 10 lbs less then I was trying to lost but I was happy!). It was an 8 night cruise plus 3 days after in NYC. I did gain back about 9 lbs on the cruise but I knew I would because since I had been dieting and exercising for the last 8 months I did what I wanted, did not work out, and ate and drank whatever I wanted while on the cruise!

I did lose the weight again within a few days after we got back but I did end up coming down with sever bronchitis and a fever of 103 for about 3 days...it started the day we were driving back home I am so glad I didn't come down with it on the cruise!

A few years later and I have kept the weight off and even lost some since then. Trying to lose a bit more before our next cruise in 3 months and so far I am on track for that goal and my overall goal!

So I would say you probably could lose 10 lbs by the cruise but 5-8 is probably more realistic (and healthy, 1-2 lbs a week is what doctors say is a good goal). Just keep an eye on what you eat and stay active! The first 40 lbs I lost was just by dieting (I was too embarrassed to go to the gym, I was at the heaviest I have ever been). Good luck but be safe!

On the cruise I walk a lot and go to the gym and make what I'd call ok food choices, though desserts are my downfall. Breakfast is the meal where I stick to egg whites, wheat toast, turkey bacon and fruit. I just accept that I'm on a cruise and I will deviate from my normal everyday eating for a week and enjoy myself. I find the weight gain is due to a lot of sodium in the food and the weight comes off quickly when I return to my normal eating habits.

A few years ago I lost 80 lbs over 8 months before my cruise (about 10 lbs less then I was trying to lost but I was happy!). It was an 8 night cruise plus 3 days after in NYC. I did gain back about 9 lbs on the cruise but I knew I would because since I had been dieting and exercising for the last 8 months I did what I wanted, did not work out, and ate and drank whatever I wanted while on the cruise!

I did lose the weight again within a few days after we got back but I did end up coming down with sever bronchitis and a fever of 103 for about 3 days...it started the day we were driving back home I am so glad I didn't come down with it on the cruise!

A few years later and I have kept the weight off and even lost some since then. Trying to lose a bit more before our next cruise in 3 months and so far I am on track for that goal and my overall goal!

So I would say you probably could lose 10 lbs by the cruise but 5-8 is probably more realistic (and healthy, 1-2 lbs a week is what doctors say is a good goal). Just keep an eye on what you eat and stay active! The first 40 lbs I lost was just by dieting (I was too embarrassed to go to the gym, I was at the heaviest I have ever been). Good luck but be safe!

Congrats on the 80lb weight lose!!! I now feel silly worrying about losing 10lbs.smh

Alright, so it's been two weeks and I've lost 6 lbs. Lot's of cardio and weight lifting. I've eliminated eating sweets (my weakness), fried foods, and alcohol (ok I cheated and had 1 light beer this past weekend). I'm over half way to my goal with a little over 3 weeks to go. I think I got this.:)

Congrats on the 80lb weight lose!!! I now feel silly worrying about losing 10lbs.smh

Alright, so it's been two weeks and I've lost 6 lbs. Lot's of cardio and weight lifting. I've eliminated eating sweets (my weakness), fried foods, and alcohol (ok I cheated and had 1 light beer this past weekend). I'm over half way to my goal with a little over 3 weeks to go. I think I got this.:)

Thanks! I think sweets was one of the hardest parts for me too I have such a bad sweet tooth! I am working on loosing the last 10-15 pounds that I would like to lose along with getting the flat stomach so I can wear a bikini for the first time lol! My next cruise is a little under 3 months away so really hoping I can get there this time! But is soooo hard to say no to the fast food and ice cream right now...

Keep it up and you should get there just fine!

Thanks! I think sweets was one of the hardest parts for me too I have such a bad sweet tooth! I am working on loosing the last 10-15 pounds that I would like to lose along with getting the flat stomach so I can wear a bikini for the first time lol! My next cruise is a little under 3 months away so really hoping I can get there this time! But is soooo hard to say no to the fast food and ice cream right now...

Keep it up and you should get there just fine!

You don't necessarily have to say no to ice cream and fast food. Choose 1 meal a week where you eat whatever you want, sort of a "cheat meal." The "cheat meal" would be your reward for staying true to your diet for the week. It really works!

Good luck on losing the remaining 10-15 lbs. I'm sure you can do it!

You don't necessarily have to say no to ice cream and fast food. Choose 1 meal a week where you eat whatever you want, sort of a "cheat meal." The "cheat meal" would be your reward for staying true to your diet for the week. It really works!

Good luck on losing the remaining 10-15 lbs. I'm sure you can do it!

I tried to do the cheat meals but it makes me crave it even more, its all or nothing for me lol! DH says I don't need to lose anymore weight but I just do not feel comfortable still...

I would get into a good exercise routine beforehand and try to still stay as active as possible while you are cruising...their is no reason why you should go into it expecting to gain weight...that's only setting yourself up for disaster. Instead, go into not gaining any weight! You can still walk everyday, go to the gym once or twice, and try to eat healthier while aboard.

Limit yourself to how many sugary drink you are having, and try to only drink water so you can enjoy a few cocktails. Just because there's a buffet present and a large amount of food for you at dinner doesn't mean you should go back for seconds and eat all of it either. It's nice to enjoy the yummy food but you shouldn't let yourself go just because you're on a cruise.

I can relate to the desire to lose weight before going on a cruise. Our family took our first cruise in December of 2012, and I was so very overweight and did not want to look the way I did in my swimming trunks. A friend who is a Fitness Coach got my wife and I on his Support Group and helped us select an exercise and eating regiment that was right for us. My wife and I did a 3 month exercise and nutrition program in September thru November of 2012, and we both lost about 18 pounds. It was just a part of what I had to lose, but it sure made a difference in how I felt, and in my mobility. An ingredient to my success was not only the Program but my friend plugged us into a Support Group to keep us accountable and for all of us to encourage each other. I eventually trimmed off 45 pounds over the course of 12 months. Last year, I joined this team as one of their coaches to help counsel and guide others in losing weight and inches and improve their health. Basically, we did an exercise program that was right for us, and our coach taught us how to make healthier choices in eating. (with some occasional cheating! – hey, I am only human!)

I almost always try to lose some weight before a cruise--usually in the 5-15 pound range--by eating better and exercising more. I normally gain about 4-5 pounds on the cruise. I eat what I want while cruising, but I also exercise quite a bit (Zumba, walking) and use the stairs 90% of the time.

An up-coming cruise is always an incentive for me to get my act together! Too bad I'm not as motivated by the right reasons.

I am so glad I found this board! My first cruise is on

November 30 and I would love to lose 40 pounds. I

tend to be an emotional eater. I was doing pretty well on

a low carb diet for a few months, but when my mom

lost her job in June the stress took a toll on me. I am now

trying to help my family, take care of my one year old

and balance my office job and acting career. I am so

excited about this cruise. I need a break and I want to

look good! I have a real bad sweet tooth!

Hi all, I have a cruise booked Oct 25 th I started watching my diet (. Counting calories on my fitness pal app ) in June along with cardio work . I started adding weight training in July ,so far I have lost 17lbs and am a month ahead of schedule . The goal now is to stick with it until October . I am currently 5 ft 8.5 and 165lbs currently and shooting for 160 on Oct 25th .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am so glad I found this board! My first cruise is on

November 30 and I would love to lose 40 pounds. I

tend to be an emotional eater. I was doing pretty well on

a low carb diet for a few months, but when my mom

lost her job in June the stress took a toll on me. I am now

trying to help my family, take care of my one year old

and balance my office job and acting career. I am so

excited about this cruise. I need a break and I want to

look good! I have a real bad sweet tooth!

Wow! You certainly got a lot on your plate! Sorry to hear about your mom losing her job. Hopefully she will find something soon. As for your weight loss, 40 lbs is a lofty goal and will be pretty hard to achieve, but give it your all and even if you come up short, any weight loss will be an accomplishment.

Alright, weighed myself today and i'm down a total of 7.5 lbs in 3 weeks. Tough week, but i'm only 2.5 lbs away from my goal and I have 2 weeks to accomplish it. The end is near!!!