How safe is "the safe" in the Hotel Continental in Barcelona?

lvcrzn

I think if I read another post or watch another YouTube about the thieves and their scams and victims' stories I will not venture out while I'm in Barcelona for a couple of days in conjunction with the cruise! Seriously PLEASE ANYONE WHO HAS RECENTLY RETURNED...just how bad is this situation on the streets and especially in the train station? Is the hotel safe...safe??! :eek:

I stayed at the hotel continental a couple years ago they were very friendly and and I felt safe at the hotel. However you do need to be cognizant of your surroundings when out on Las Ramblas. Just like in any big city thieves are looking for a victim don't wear a camera around your neck keep your money safe be aware of your surroundings and you should be fine. I went out but I was not alone I walked up and down las ramblas had dinner and just people watched. If you don't feel comfortable then I would suggest a different hotel but they're always going to be thieves and pickpockets in Barcelona.

Norma

I have been visiting Barcelona several times a year for over 10 years and have never encountered a problem. I just make sure I am aware of my surroundings as I would in any city.

At least in Barcelona, if you did encounter a problem, it would unlikely be violent - unlike many cities in the US.

If you take basic precautions - do not carry lots of cash - do not flash your cash - do not carry expensive looking cameras or electronics - do not wear flamboyant expensive jewellery etc - you will be perfectly safe.

The safe in the hotel will be as secure as any other hotel safe anywhere in the world. The sort of crimes that do occur are mainly pickpockets and not break-ins or burglary.

We had no problems what so ever at The Hotel Continental, the room, hotel and safe were just fine.

We had no problems or worries anywhere, anytime during our 4 day stay before our cruise and 2 days after our cruise.

We walked everywhere or used the HOHO bus.

We were there during La Merce and in and around massive crowds of people and no one attempted anything

The Hotel and their staff were amazing and so was Barcelona!

One day my husband napped and I walked about on my own with no worries or concerns, I felt very safe at all times.

I think if I read another post or watch another YouTube about the thieves and their scams and victims' stories I will not venture out while I'm in Barcelona for a couple of days in conjunction with the cruise! Seriously PLEASE ANYONE WHO HAS RECENTLY RETURNED...just how bad is this situation on the streets and especially in the train station? Is the hotel safe...safe??! :eek:

I never understand the motivation of the people who post those hyperbolic, inflammatory stories about the crime situation in Barcelona (or any European city). Are the posters small town US residents who have no coping skills in any large US city? Are the posters uncomfortable with the unfamiliar so they magnify everything and anything that is different from their normal way of life?

The breathless warnings about the situation in Barcelona says more about the poster than they do about the real situation in that lovely Catalan city.

The advice you've already received about keeping your valuables safe is excellent. Follow it! Nothing is completely foolproof, but robberies and scams are crimes of opportunity. Make yourself less of a target and the let the foolish tourists all around you serve as the target.

I never understand the motivation of the people who post those hyperbolic, inflammatory stories about the crime situation in Barcelona (or any European city). Are the posters small town US residents who have no coping skills in any large US city? Are the posters uncomfortable with the unfamiliar so they magnify everything and anything that is different from their normal way of life?

The breathless warnings about the situation in Barcelona says more about the poster than they do about the real situation in that lovely Catalan city.

The advice you've already received about keeping your valuables safe is excellent. Follow it! Nothing is completely foolproof, but robberies and scams are crimes of opportunity. Make yourself less of a target and the let the foolish tourists all around you serve as the target.

Thank you so much. Your post makes so much sense.

We loved that hotel and stayed there twice this past Summer.

The front doors are locked and you have to be buzzed in by an employee. In reality the only people inside the building are the actual guests and staff.

We also felt safe in the area. We were not foolish and secured our belongings and took care walking around.

You should not have any regrets if you choose this property for your stay. You will end up with wonderful memories.

• 3 years later...

Be aware of the common scams and you should be ok. Unfortunately I had not read about the common bird poop scam and my boyfriend had his wallet stolen from his FRONT pants pocket. We got off the Hop On/Hop Off bus that stops a couple blocks from Park Guell in Barcelona. The signs to the park entrance were confusing so we were wandering up and down the streets when we felt something wet drop across our backs. It looked like bird poop (smelled like mustard) and a guy behind us looked up at the sky like he saw a bird. He then offered tissues. He said there was water in a nearby small park and took us to it. There was no water but the spot was near some bushes so he could 'help' my boyfriend wipe off the mess and pick his pockets without anyone else seeing. He didn't get my money because I carried it in a zipped shirt pocket and did not carry a purse. We reported the crime to 2 police officers that were sitting in a car near the entrance of Park Guell. They told us that if we wanted to report it we could walk two blocks beyond where it happened to the police office. We didn't bother because we felt like nothing would come of it.