what to do in valencia for a day?

janines

After doing some research, I was unable to find alot to see in valencia city. I found a wine tour with vip wine tours for 1/2 day to visit torre oria bodega. Any advise or suggestions?

janines

• 4 weeks later...

Returned from a great Mediterranean Cruise and wanted to give a review of our stop in Valencia, Spain.

We were a group of 8, ages 16-54 and wanted to do something different in Valencia. I read great reviews on Tripadvisor about Do-Valencia. We choose the hot springs tour and Mike, our guide picked us up at the pier for what would be the best tour we did in our entire 2 week vacation in Europe.

First we drove through the city of Valencia, then up into the mountains to explore many beautiful areas, short hikes and a swim in the crystal clear water of the hot springs.

We even stopped at a local tapas bar/restaurant for very enjoyable drinks and snacks. The owners treated so well giving us free shots. They had the best Sangria! We all had 1-2 drinks with platters of cheese, potatoes and calamari all for 4 euros per person!!

Do-Valencia.com ask for Mike

Edited by Kareni
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Valencia is a very doable city on your own. Some ideas:

The Silk Market - very beautiful

The Cathedral

The Market

The Beaux Art Museum - it's free

The Arts and Sciences Museums/Aquarium

El Saler beach - take bus south of the city for about 20 minutes

The tour to the hot springs mentioned earlier sounds nice if you have been to Valencia before.

The Cathedral

The Market

The tour to the hot springs mentioned earlier sounds nice if you have been to Valencia before.

We are stopping on a Sunday arriving at noon. I believe the Adventure of the Seas docks outside town. I want to visit the Silk Market - it is a UNESCO world heritage site so I think worth it, but it closes at 3 pm on a Sunday. I would love some feedback as to whether or not it is worth trying to rush to get there (by taxi) before it closes.

After the Silk Museum I thought we might enjoy going to the Aquarium, but will we have eaten into our day too much from a possible wasted trip to see the Silk Museum to make the Aquarium a waste of time and we should just have stayed in the old town and wandered around soaking up the atmosphere.

I also want to buy postcards of the Silk Market - has anyone seen them around the cruise terminal or the Aquarium?

I would love comments of people who have been.

We are stopping on a Sunday arriving at noon. I believe the Adventure of the Seas docks outside town. I want to visit the Silk Market - it is a UNESCO world heritage site so I think worth it, but it closes at 3 pm on a Sunday. I would love some feedback as to whether or not it is worth trying to rush to get there (by taxi) before it closes.

After the Silk Museum I thought we might enjoy going to the Aquarium, but will we have eaten into our day too much from a possible wasted trip to see the Silk Museum to make the Aquarium a waste of time and we should just have stayed in the old town and wandered around soaking up the atmosphere.

I also want to buy postcards of the Silk Market - has anyone seen them around the cruise terminal or the Aquarium?

I would love comments of people who have been.

I don't know how long it takes for your ship to disembark or if they run shuttles. Our ship disembarks real quick (not a large cruise ship) and the shuttle only took 15 mintes to the center of town. The silk market doesn't take long. The architecture is beautiful. I really don't think you would have to rush. The aquarium does take a long time. I have never been inside. Sundays are always tricky as to what is open and the time the attractions are open.

We were recently in Valencia and really had a nice day just enjoying the city (never understood why everything has to have "sites"). Certainly head straight to the market(Mercado Central) which is always fun. As very frequent European travelers we have learned to always try to visit local markets since they are colorful and give a visitor a snapshot of local cuture. The market is right on the edge of the old town part of Valencia so, assuming you enjoy walking, it is a perfect jump-off place to wander some of the streets in the old town, browse the shops, enjoy the architecture, etc. You would also be very close to the main shopping streets in downtown if you want to do shopping. This area also has plenty of places to have a nice lunch.

You can also find a lot of info by simply looking on the internet. Here is a link that might help:

http://www.valencia-cityguide.com/tourist-attractions/valencia-top-ten.html

Hank

We were recently in Valencia and really had a nice day just enjoying the city (never understood why everything has to have "sites"). Certainly head straight to the market(Mercado Central) which is always fun. As very frequent European travelers we have learned to always try to visit local markets since they are colorful and give a visitor a snapshot of local cuture. The market is right on the edge of the old town part of Valencia so, assuming you enjoy walking, it is a perfect jump-off place to wander some of the streets in the old town, browse the shops, enjoy the architecture, etc. You would also be very close to the main shopping streets in downtown if you want to do shopping. This area also has plenty of places to have a nice lunch.

You can also find a lot of info by simply looking on the internet. Here is a link that might help:

http://www.valencia-cityguide.com/tourist-attractions/valencia-top-ten.html

Hank

We also try to avoid all the "sites". However, since you are coming in on a Sunday and in the afternoon, make sure you look up on the internet to see if the market and silk exchange are open. Just walking around is enjoyable.

• 2 months later...
Returned from a great Mediterranean Cruise and wanted to give a review of our stop in Valencia, Spain.

We were a group of 8, ages 16-54 and wanted to do something different in Valencia. I read great reviews on Tripadvisor about Do-Valencia. We choose the hot springs tour and Mike, our guide picked us up at the pier for what would be the best tour we did in our entire 2 week vacation in Europe.

First we drove through the city of Valencia, then up into the mountains to explore many beautiful areas, short hikes and a swim in the crystal clear water of the hot springs.

We even stopped at a local tapas bar/restaurant for very enjoyable drinks and snacks. The owners treated so well giving us free shots. They had the best Sangria! We all had 1-2 drinks with platters of cheese, potatoes and calamari all for 4 euros per person!!

Do-Valencia.com ask for Mike

I read this and took your advice. It was great!! Mike answers really quick on email and I must add that his colleague, Miguel, is also a great guide. Also a thing to add is that they took a lot of pictures at the hot spring and at the tapas bar and they will send them to participants.

/Niklas

• 4 years later...

The Cathedral

The Market

Hi, Is admission charged for the Cathedral?

I was really sad. I asked my regional manager at the time if I was able to get a tour of the Ford plant while I was there (I sold Ford vehicles at the time). It was a great day.

I then headed in to the city and just walked around which was lovely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We would like to know that as well. I think a taxi is not too much. I've looked it up in a tour book.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hate tour books :(. Anyway, you have several options. You could share a taxi which should cost no more then 20€ one-way. It is likely that your cruise line will provide shuttle bus service but the price (which could even be free) is set by each cruise line. And finally, you can walk to the nearest bus stop and take a local bus (I think its #4) to the city center. The bus fare used to be 1.50€ but we don't know if there have been any recent price increases.

And finally there is somthing called a "VLC" Cruise Card which is a local tourist card sole to cruisers. It used to include round trip bus transportation (between port and the city) plus unlimited use of the local buses around town. It also gets you into some museums for free and gives you discounts to some local participating sites/businesses. We have heard that the VLC does change from time to time...but it used to cost 10€ for cruise ship passengers.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Here is the link for more information regarding the VLC card-I very much appreciate the information.

http://www.visitvalencia.com/en/vlc-suggestion/plan-your-stopover-in-valencia

It is 10 EU per person which includes free bus services all day (including the city busses #4 and #19 which run from the cruise terminal to the city), admission into 3 museums and some buildings. Additionally, there are discounts on other services, shops, restaurants AND a coupon for a free tapa and beer/soft drink.

You can purchase it online and/or at the Valencia Tourist office at the port which is open when ships are in port.

• 2 months later...

Valencia is a wonderful city even if you travel in winter or autumm.

We booked a tour directly with Ana & Jordi Linares private tour guides. We first did a panoramic tour with a stop in the City of Arts and Sciences, then we went to the Old town and we continue our 6h tour to Requena for a private winery tour where we visited the village of Requena and a winery accompanied by our expert local guide.

All the process to book the private tour directly with them was so easy and I will hardly recommend it to everyone.

• 1 year later...

I was really lucky. I used to work for Ford Motor Company and strange for a tour around the Ford plant where they build Fiesta, C-Max and Kuga. Then headed in to the centre for a wonder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk