Maho and beach in the same area

mel07

HI,

Does anyone know if there is a beach/hotel within walking distance or quick cab ride from Maho? We want to go to Maho but would like to combine in with a few hours on a relaxing beach. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering about perhaps doing the walk in reverse... from Maho to Mullet.

The reason is that I picture my kids getting bored quickly at Maho (after the planes thing gets old), and wanting to spend the rest of the day at Mullet.

I assume the problem is lack of taxi service at Mullet, right?

If I start at Maho and go to Mullet after, what is your best suggestion as far as catching a taxi on the way back?

Gotta be on the ship by 4:30.

Just read mitsugirly's review of Maho and Mullet.

Thank you so much, mitsugirly, for posting these reviews. They've already been very helpful to me. Love all of your pictures.

I have used your reviews in the past to decide to do things, as well as decide NOT to do things. (In the latter case, I see things which don't appeal to me personally, and I am happy you depicted everything so well so I could make an informed decision!)

Anyway, it looks like my theory about Maho first and Mullet second has some validity, as I saw mitsugirly expressed that Maho got boring after 30 minutes or so, while she felt the family didn't have enough time at Mullet.

So please let me know if starting at Maho is doable, and if there's transportation back from anywhere near Mullet.

I suppose we could walk back to Maho if worse came to worse, but I'd prefer just to catch a cab at Mullet and go back from there.

I'm wondering about perhaps doing the walk in reverse... from Maho to Mullet.

The reason is that I picture my kids getting bored quickly at Maho (after the planes thing gets old), and wanting to spend the rest of the day at Mullet.

I assume the problem is lack of taxi service at Mullet, right?

If I start at Maho and go to Mullet after, what is your best suggestion as far as catching a taxi on the way back?

Gotta be on the ship by 4:30.

Generally there are not taxis waiting at Mullet. This is not an issue if you retrace your steps and go back to the Maho entertainment area. You will find a taxi there.

I think timing is everything at Maho. Look at the plane schedule in and out of SXM on your day and plan your visit accordingly.

Just read mitsugirly's review of Maho and Mullet.

Thank you so much, mitsugirly, for posting these reviews. They've already been very helpful to me. Love all of your pictures.

I have used your reviews in the past to decide to do things, as well as decide NOT to do things. (In the latter case, I see things which don't appeal to me personally, and I am happy you depicted everything so well so I could make an informed decision!)

Anyway, it looks like my theory about Maho first and Mullet second has some validity, as I saw mitsugirly expressed that Maho got boring after 30 minutes or so, while she felt the family didn't have enough time at Mullet.

So please let me know if starting at Maho is doable, and if there's transportation back from anywhere near Mullet.

I suppose we could walk back to Maho if worse came to worse, but I'd prefer just to catch a cab at Mullet and go back from there.

You are very welcome. The reason that people always start at Mullet and then on to Maho is of course they want to watch the BIG planes come in, which is usually around noon. So everyone always starts at Mullet for the morning hours then walks over to Maho to finish out the day. If you start at Maho and spend the morning there, you probably wont see some of the big planes come in. That's the only problem (and one of the main reasons to go there).

When we were at Mullet, we did see taxi's coming back there to drop people off. You could get lucky and find one dropping people off there and catch a ride. If not, I would say just walk back up to the road and you are almost instantly at the little town. We seen them up and down the road there, either parked or driving by and you could possibly flag one down if so. If not, heading back to Maho really isn't very far at all and you'll definitely find them there. Just time it for the worse case scenario of having to walk all the way back to Maho and you should be fine. :)

I will be honest. We aren't early risers. Having two children doesn't help the speediness with getting off the boat, either.

By the time we get up, have breakfast, and get off the ship, I can't imagine we will be at Mullet too early if we go there first, which will leave us little time there.

I think we will just go to Maho first, watch some planes land, and then walk over to Mullet, leaving plenty of time to catch a cab back (including perhaps walking to Maho).

I saw your reviews about getting sandblasted at Maho from the planes. I definitely don't want that!

How far would you suggest standing from them in order to avoid that?

Does the sandblasting happen only on takeoff, or also on landing?

I will be honest. We aren't early risers. Having two children doesn't help the speediness with getting off the boat, either.

By the time we get up, have breakfast, and get off the ship, I can't imagine we will be at Mullet too early if we go there first, which will leave us little time there.

I think we will just go to Maho first, watch some planes land, and then walk over to Mullet, leaving plenty of time to catch a cab back (including perhaps walking to Maho).

I saw your reviews about getting sandblasted at Maho from the planes. I definitely don't want that!

How far would you suggest standing from them in order to avoid that?

Does the sandblasting happen only on takeoff, or also on landing?

The sandblasting happens during take off. The plane is facing the opposite direction and right before take off and them revving the engines up (if that's how you explain it...not sure the terminology), then the sand starts flying...then take off....ouch. Just don't stand anywhere near behind it. You will be safe on the sides. No worries. :)