Auckland on Christmas Day

Mimg Pao

We are sailing on the Sea Princess and will be in Auckland on Christmas Day. We are interested in a half day sightseeing tour and do not like the excursions that Princess is offering for that day.

Does anyone know if there will be cars and drivers and or taxis and or private tours available from the pier on Christmas Day.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Lynne

Seriously doubt anything other than what the cruise line has been able to arrange will be available on what is usually the only public holiday of the year to be observed by almost everyone and every business. Anything you may find will likely be 3 times the normal every day price.

Bit irresponsible of the cruise line to be making a port call on Xmas day when nothing will be open or operating!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bit irresponsible of the cruise line to be making a port call on Xmas day when nothing will be open or operating!

I agree.

It used to be an unwritten law that if you were on a cruise that included Christmas Day , it was always a sea day........

Thank you both for your response. Do you think it is possible there may be some taxis or private vehicles and drivers waiting at the pier?

Lynne

Lynne its certainly possible as there would be some taxis around the city on Christmas day and business would be slow so they would likely enjoy the additional business a cruise ship brings. In terms of private hire cars - doubt it - unless the cruise line has an arrangement with one of the local companies.

Many tourist attractions advertise as being open 364 days per year.

It will be possible to get a taxi (377 0773 will get you a corporate-grade taxi) and the beaches and forests will be "open". Virtually nothing else will be.

If you like this is the one day of the year you can be sure everything will be shut.

Many tourist attractions advertise as being open 364 days per year.

It will be possible to get a taxi (377 0773 will get you a corporate-grade taxi) and the beaches and forests will be "open". Virtually nothing else will be.

If you like this is the one day of the year you can be sure everything will be shut.

I note that you leave in Auckland and hopefully will be able to answer this as well.

In Toronto where we live, most Chinese restaurants are open on Christmas Day. Is this the same in Auckland and if so, could you recommend a decent Chinese restaurant not far from the pier. (We are on the Sea Princess).

I have read that there is a Chinatown but not sure where it is and how from from the pier - usually Chinese restaurants are located in the central downtown area. Do you think the Mercury Plaza will be open.

Thanks for your help and hopefully you will read this and reply by Monday as we are leaving.

Lynne

I note that you leave in Auckland and hopefully will be able to answer this as well.

In Toronto where we live, most Chinese restaurants are open on Christmas Day. Is this the same in Auckland and if so, could you recommend a decent Chinese restaurant not far from the pier. (We are on the Sea Princess).

I have read that there is a Chinatown but not sure where it is and how from from the pier - usually Chinese restaurants are located in the central downtown area. Do you think the Mercury Plaza will be open.

Thanks for your help and hopefully you will read this and reply by Monday as we are leaving.

Lynne

We have enjoyed Yum Cha at the Grand Harbour. No idea what the a la carte menu is like. They are on the harbour and are open on Christmas Day AND accepting bookings.

http://www.grandharbour.co.nz/booking.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hotel restaurants will be open too. several do a christmas buffet for which you need to book plus they charge twice their normal rate. Many places will be closed and several shut for the whole week which is a nuisance for those of us working who want to eat out.

Archived